PDA

View Full Version : Best GPS

robert l
07-14-2018, 09:43 AM
Do any of y'all use the Waze app? I have never tried it but supposedly it will give you real time road/traffic/construction conditions, enabling you to deviate from your route. If you're smart enough and quick enough. Coming from S.C. it's already going to be a long trip so I would like to avoid as much construction as possible. I already have my I-PASS transponder so the toll's shouldn't be to bad.
Bob

Floatsflyer
07-14-2018, 10:58 AM
Yup, it's the best roads and walking app. It's so good and reliable, Google bought them for $gizzillions. Punch in your destination from wherever you're located and the FASTEST route from A to B is provided taking into account all those variables you listed.

robert l
07-14-2018, 11:18 AM
Thanks Floats, I'll download it today, maybe practice a little before we head out next Saturday.

Floatsflyer
07-14-2018, 01:04 PM
Drive safe, have a terrific Oshkosh week. Subject to weather I'll fly out to Green Bay on Friday, Saturday or Sunday, whatever is best VFR day.

CHICAGORANDY
07-14-2018, 09:12 PM
The I-Pass is a great move - save 50% on tolls in Illinois - our open road toll collections means NO booths to have to stop at and delay the journey. Bypassing on 294 to the west of the city is the best way to go north into Wisconsin. Safe travels.

Mike Switzer
07-15-2018, 02:17 PM
Not sure what route you have planned on, but avoid I 74 between Indy & Champaign, IL, lots of construction & 1 lane much of that road. Also lots of construction on I 57. Wrecks in those construction zones have the ISP Bears overworked & very cranky. Surprisingly, US 51/I 39 had very little construction a few weeks ago (at least from Decatur to Rockford)

Dave Stadt
07-15-2018, 04:30 PM
"The I-Pass is a great move - save 50% on tolls in Illinois."

That certainly is a subject for a long non-aviation discussion.

robert l
07-15-2018, 07:19 PM
Thanks guys, I got the I-PASS idea off this site, may have been ChicagoRandy a while back. It will surly help since I'll be pulling a pop up and my average speed will be slower. All the people on my, "Apache" camper site say, no more than 65 mph so it'll just take a little longer. Also, I joined AAA and they mapped out a route for me so I'm hoping that, the I-PASS and the Waze app will be a big help. Thanks again everyone and safe travels to all. If you see an old guy with a grey beard and a pony tail, it just might be me.
Bob

Floatsflyer
07-16-2018, 06:12 AM
[QUOTE=robert l;71494 If you see an old guy with a grey beard and a pony tail, it just might be[/QUOTE]

Or Willie Nelson.

robert l
07-16-2018, 08:18 PM
Or Willie Nelson.

Willie's got me by about 14 years. Smart a$$ ! LOL ! I hope that's ok, I really thought it was funny !
Bob