PDA

View Full Version : Scholler Improved Camping

Chris In Marshfield
06-26-2018, 02:20 PM
In an EAA press release, they talked about adding 117 new improved camp sites (electric/water) to the grounds. Anybody know in which direction they're propagating? The map on the AV site is still from 2017.

Thanks!
Chris

Chris In Marshfield
06-26-2018, 02:49 PM
I received an answer from EAA. While this is the 2017 map, the area outlined in red includes the new improved camping sites. They'll be updating the map for 2018 soon.

streffpilot
06-26-2018, 02:56 PM
I received an answer from EAA. While this is the 2017 map, the area outlined in red includes the new improved camping sites. They'll be updating the map for 2018 soon.

UGH....they done took my tent spot.......Iritates me a good bit.

Sam Oleson
06-26-2018, 02:57 PM
Hey Chris,

To further elaborate on that map -- not all of the area within the red boundaries will be electric, but there are more sites added. Here's a screenshot of the current in-progress 2018 map.

streffpilot
06-26-2018, 03:03 PM
Hey Chris,

To further elaborate on that map -- not all of the area within the red boundaries will be electric, but there are more sites added. Here's a screenshot of the current in-progress 2018 map.

Well Lookie there.....I done spoke too soon :)

Hopefully my spot is still open on the Friday before......

Chris In Marshfield
06-26-2018, 03:07 PM
Thanks for clarifying. I realize that there's a growing demand for "glamping" :)

I hope that the rates for those sites are helping you quickly recover the costs of installing them. Still a bargain, in my eyes!

When I first started camping at Scholler, my crew and I used to camp down by 20th St. Each year the improved camping area has expanded, and we moved with the expansion. For the past several years we've tried to stay far enough away that we weren't affected by Manifest Destiny. So far, so good!

FlyinAdamBadger
06-26-2018, 09:27 PM
In Camp Scholler they added a new well to provide additional water for shower buildings and campers, a new road to provide accessibility and 117 new electric sites. Here's the 2018 Camp Scholler map. https://www.eaa.org/~/media/files/airventure/planyourtrip/camping/5-17-18-av-18-camp-scholler-map-v3.pdf. Does anyone know what's the street name for the new road?

Roger Janssens
06-27-2018, 10:25 AM
I have no idea where the new road is. But as I see it, the tent camping area north of Camper Registration / Schuhart Ln has been offered up to the Gray Lot. Meaning all the people that used to stay there will now also have to find a spot in the ever-smaller areas reserved for regular tent camping. Meaning the trek to the showers/toilets off Elm/Stits will become longer and longer, while the area right next to them is taken by generator people, who typically bring their own showers/toilets (and bikes and mopeds etc). If I had a say, I'd put all the generator people in the area south of Cedar, but I'm only a regular tent guy (can hardly bring an 18-wheel road palace from across the Atlantic).
Let's hope the XP-82 shows itself off perfectly this year. Then I only need the C-97 flying and I can lay off finding a tiny tent spot among all the 300 ft by 150 ft estates every year.

streffpilot
06-27-2018, 10:52 AM
I have no idea where the new road is. But as I see it, the tent camping area north of Camper Registration / Schuhart Ln has been offered up to the Gray Lot. Meaning all the people that used to stay there will now also have to find a spot in the ever-smaller areas reserved for regular tent camping. Meaning the trek to the showers/toilets off Elm/Stits will become longer and longer, while the area right next to them is taken by generator people, who typically bring their own showers/toilets (and bikes and mopeds etc). If I had a say, I'd put all the generator people in the area south of Cedar, but I'm only a regular tent guy.

I did have this same thought.......but then us tent guys don't supply as many pieces of green paper per night as the trailer palace guys do.

robert l
06-27-2018, 11:17 AM
I'll be bringing my vintage pop up camper and maybe a generator, so, does that mean I can stay in the grey areas of the map ? Not the 24 hr. generator areas but the 8 am to 9 pm areas.
Bob

mc20
06-27-2018, 01:50 PM
> But as I see it, the tent camping area north of Camper Registration / Schuhart Ln has been offered up to the Gray Lot

well, dang-it!!!! That's a loss of 100 or more camping spots if not more. Last year parts of it were no generator bliss. That area is convenient to lots of things, especially to the north.

now the only non generator area is much further south and farther from everything.

grumble. Grumble, grumble. I guess I'm turning into a grumpy old man, but I’m bummed. Especially as camping last year was so overloaded.

FlyinAdamBadger
06-27-2018, 02:33 PM
I'll be bringing my vintage pop up camper and maybe a generator, so, does that mean I can stay in the grey areas of the map ? Not the 24 hr. generator areas but the 8 am to 9 pm areas.
Bob

Actually you can camp anywhere you want to camp unless it is roped off/already taken. The only spot you can't camp in is Audrey's Park. Generators may be used for electricity, but no engine-driven generators will be operated between the hours of 6:30 a.m. - 10:30 p.m. (except in designated 24-hour use areas). All camping units in 24-hour auxiliary power area must be positioned perpendicular to fire lanes. Fire lanes are marked as burn lines in the grass or with signage. No tents are allowed in the 24-hour auxiliary power area.

One negative about the camping in an electric & water site is that campers must pay from the day they secure the site through the end of the show.

Cost: Camping (basic site): $27 per day (3 night minimum), Camping (electric & water): $65 per day

Roger Janssens
06-27-2018, 04:59 PM
Generators may be used for electricity, but no engine-driven generators will be operated between the hours of 6:30 a.m. - 10:30 p.m. (except in designated 24-hour use areas).

Ermm, that's not what the guidelines say. In fact they say exactly the opposite (https://www.eaa.org/en/airventure/plan-your-eaa-airventure-trip/eaa-camping-information/camp-scholler/guidelines, under 'Generators'):
'- Generators may be used for electricity, but no engine-driven generators will be operated between the hours of 10:30 p.m. and 6:30 a.m. (except in designated 24-hour use areas).'
People who try to sleep at night actually appreciate those guidelines! :-)

Auburntsts
06-27-2018, 05:08 PM
One negative about the camping in an electric & water site is that campers must pay from the day they secure the site through the end of the show.

That rule applies to all camp sites, not just the “improved” ones.

Tom Casper
06-27-2018, 07:14 PM
There is no refund for the electric/water sites if you leave early. For the others you may get a refund as long as you meet the 3 day minimum. In each case they charge you from the day you register and get credentials through the end of the show.

robert l
06-28-2018, 07:55 AM
Well I've got my camping pass for 8 days in Camp Scholler and my weekly admission pass. I would never disturbe anybody's sleep. I have sleep problems myself so I understand completely. 23 days and counting until we depart for Oshkosh from South Carolina.
Bob

Chris In Marshfield
06-29-2018, 05:00 AM
Well I've got my camping pass for 8 days in Camp Scholler and my weekly admission pass. I would never disturbe anybody's sleep. I have sleep problems myself so I understand completely. 23 days and counting until we depart for Oshkosh from South Carolina.
Bob

Safe travels! See you there!

Marty Santic
06-29-2018, 08:44 AM
When will the website go "live" to choose an improved campsite??

Marty Santic
06-29-2018, 08:52 AM
Just went "live".

strangebird
06-30-2018, 07:22 PM
why does the ticket site want to charge you $1,950 for a electric/ water site> that is crazy wrong what am I missing and it looks like there are a ton of available electric, water site left

PerryH
06-30-2018, 07:47 PM
You are charged from the day you reserve the site until the end of the event for the electric/water sites.

CHICAGORANDY
06-30-2018, 08:55 PM
Seeing the rates for camping sites and the dorms makes me appreciate my budget motel room. It's an hour away, but it has all the amenities indoors.

Auburntsts
07-01-2018, 05:53 AM
Seeing the rates for camping sites and the dorms makes me appreciate my budget motel room. It's an hour away, but it has all the amenities indoors.

We don’t camp to save money. Although we now camp in HBC with our plane, when we used to drive in and were in Scholler it was all about the experience, just as it today for us in HBC. For us that experience is what makes Osh worth coming to year after year. YMMV.....

CHICAGORANDY
07-01-2018, 06:43 AM
And THAT my friend is why that ice cream joint sells all those flavors. lol I envy campers' and dormers' proximity to the event, this however was the first time I actually checked out the rates and was a bit surprised they are not lower. But hey, nobody ever said AirVenture was cheap. - lol

N3kf
07-01-2018, 07:29 AM
why does the ticket site want to charge you $1,950 for a electric/ water site> that is crazy wrong what am I missing and it looks like there are a ton of available electric, water site leftCause you pay from today through the end of the week of Oshkosh. That's the way they work. That's why so many sites are still available.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

turtle
07-01-2018, 10:12 AM

That's what I thought too for my first trip to Osh. Then realized the hour each way meant no running back and forth to take a break or come back at night for show/presentation. Camping is trading the pool and a/c for being able to see the whole show you drove 1000 miles for.

I can't agree with EAA's push to make tenters even more miserable by sticking them further out so they can collect even more money from the rich. Put the motorhomes and 50 foot fifth-wheels out by the road where it's no big deal for them to ride their Harleys and golf carts to the gate.

Brianb52
07-01-2018, 10:23 AM
> But as I see it, the tent camping area north of Camper Registration / Schuhart Ln has been offered up to the Gray Lot

well, dang-it!!!! That's a loss of 100 or more camping spots if not more. Last year parts of it were no generator bliss. That area is convenient to lots of things, especially to the north.

now the only non generator area is much further south and farther from everything.

grumble. Grumble, grumble. I guess I'm turning into a grumpy old man, but I’m bummed. Especially as camping last year was so overloaded.

I've been camping in Camp Scholler for the past 18 years, first with my little pop up camper and then with my fully enclosed trailer. We have friends that come and go during the week with their tents. We have always abided by the generator rules regarding quiet time and enjoyed the evenings with our friends and OSH families. We liked the area between Cottonwood and Cedar since it was convenient to the showers and shopping at the camp store. Last year we had to move to south of Cedar to make room for the RV tours that came in with their 24 hour generator on wheels and the noise that created which pushed us even further from the showers. This year we are forced to move even further south away from the showers and shopping. Why can't they move the 24 hour generator south of Cedar and return the non 24 hour camping back closer to the showers
That's my rant

turtle
07-01-2018, 11:23 AM
Why can't they move the 24 hour generator south of Cedar and return the non 24 hour camping back closer to the showers

Money. EAA is all about catering to the rich. Anybody that can't see that has their nostalgic blinders on. Throw the people that can't afford land yachts and Bonanzas a bone by putting them closer to the gates and showers? No way! Ain't no money in that! A reservation or lottery system for improved sites instead of the reverse auction that favors people with the most disposable income? That's crazy talk, aka leaving cash on the table. Why worry about the peons when one dude in a Prevost staying for a couple of days more than makes up for it?

Sure makes you feel like part of the EAA community when you're schlepping by all the privileged people parked by the gates on your way to volunteer, doesn't it?

Kyle Boatright
07-01-2018, 11:36 AM
Money. EAA is all about catering to the rich. Anybody that can't see that has their nostalgic blinders on. Throw the people that can't afford land yachts and Bonanzas a bone by putting them closer to the gates and showers? No way! Ain't no money in that! A reservation or lottery system for improved sites instead of the reverse auction that favors people with the most disposable income? That's crazy talk, aka leaving cash on the table. Why worry about the peons when one dude in a Prevost staying for a couple of days more than makes up for it?

Sure makes you feel like part of the EAA community when you're schlepping by all the privileged people parked by the gates on your way to volunteer, doesn't it?

Oshkosh has been EAA's cash cow for years. The movie quote "No bucks, no Buck Rogers" comes to mind. My big disappointment was when they opened the flightline to non-aviators in order to pull a few more locals through the turnstiles.

Still, it is a great event and I'll be there. Again and again, and again.

CHICAGORANDY
07-01-2018, 11:40 AM
"
That's what I thought too for my first trip to Osh. Then realized the hour each way meant no running back and forth to take a break or come back at night for show/presentation. Camping is trading the pool and a/c for being able to see the whole show you drove 1000 miles for."

As a long time tram volunteer I'm either working 8-2 or 2-8 or both on days when I double shift. At AirVenture I mostly just work or wander the grounds for a few hours off-shift. Sadly, no pool at my 1950's era stabbin' cabin motel - lol - I'm not even a pilot but I've enjoyed a life-long passion for airplanes and flight and wouldn't trade the experience or personal expense of working Oshkosh for the world.

Auburntsts
07-01-2018, 12:07 PM
"
That's what I thought too for my first trip to Osh. Then realized the hour each way meant no running back and forth to take a break or come back at night for show/presentation. Camping is trading the pool and a/c for being able to see the whole show you drove 1000 miles for."

As a long time tram volunteer I'm either working 8-2 or 2-8 or both on days when I double shift. At AirVenture I mostly just work or wander the grounds for a few hours off-shift. Sadly, no pool at my 1950's era stabbin' cabin motel - lol - I'm not even a pilot but I've enjoyed a life-long passion for airplanes and flight and wouldn't trade the experience or personal expense of working Oshkosh for the world.

I totally see us transitioning to glamping in an RV or 5th wheel at some point.

Monica
07-01-2018, 04:55 PM
My beef is traveling for 2 days to spend a relaxing time enjoying Airventure and spending time catching up with friends seen once a year at the camp site, only to be greeted by campers running their LOUD stand alone generator's from 6am -10:30pm even when they are not there. They set them up so they have piece and quiet in the front of their campers and place them in the back directing the noise and fumes right into my site. So disturbing trying to yell over them in conversation, or catch a short nap before heading back to the grounds. Not to mention what the continuous dBA's does to the hearing. I'd suggest if they want to run them continuously from am to pm, go to 24 generator area where no one will notice. Since the early 80's, never had a problem until they started pushing us out. We loved being in the far back half. We are a group of campers from tent to MH. Sorry but that's my gripe. LOVE LOVE LOVE everything else.

FlyingRon
07-01-2018, 05:40 PM
Of course it's the cash cow. You think your pathetic dues keeps the organization afloat? Between the EAA and the EAA foundation (last report I saw) they make about 2 million on a ten million gross at Osh.

gbrasch
07-01-2018, 06:13 PM
My beef is traveling for 2 days to spend a relaxing time enjoying Airventure and spending time catching up with friends seen once a year at the camp site, only to be greeted by campers running their LOUD stand alone generator's from 6am -10:30pm even when they are not there. They set them up so they have piece and quiet in the front of their campers and place them in the back directing the noise and fumes right into my site. So disturbing trying to yell over them in conversation, or catch a short nap before heading back to the grounds. Not to mention what the continuous dBA's does to the hearing. I'd suggest if they want to run them continuously from am to pm, go to 24 generator area where no one will notice. Since the early 80's, never had a problem until they started pushing us out. We loved being in the far back half. We are a group of campers from tent to MH. Sorry but that's my gripe. LOVE LOVE LOVE everything else.

But Monica, it is the "Sound of Oshkosh." Just kidding, that's why I always park in the 24 hour area. Glenn

Brianb52
07-01-2018, 08:56 PM
My hope is that the guy with the LOUD Chinese generator with the loose rod parks in the middle of the 24 hour area and runs his 24x7

streffpilot
07-02-2018, 05:13 AM
I can't agree with EAA's push to make tenters even more miserable by sticking them further out so they can collect even more money from the rich. Put the motorhomes and 50 foot fifth-wheels out by the road where it's no big deal for them to ride their Harleys and golf carts to the gate.

I completely agree.......But notice....none of the EAA moderators will comment on this thread.....but they will jump in on any other thread.

robert l
07-02-2018, 06:57 AM
I've never camped with a generator before but this year we plan to bring a "Honda" gererator to use with my vintage, hard side pop up. We have a spot picked out that we used in 2016, no one on one side, no one in front and no one behind us. It was a "fer piece" from everything but relatively quite so, if it's open this year, that's where we're headed. Don't know anything about the 24 hr. camping spots, do they allow pop ups, is it more expensive or would we just be out of place ? LOL
Bob

FlyingRon
07-02-2018, 08:04 AM
I think the only restriction on the 24 hour generator area is no tents (presumably this means on the ground, rather than those as sides of a popup).

Brianb52
07-02-2018, 09:28 AM
I think the only restriction on the 24 hour generator area is no tents (presumably this means on the ground, rather than those as sides of a popup).

And that's part of my grumble. Some members of our OSH family bring their tents. In order to remain as a family, we are being forced to camp in the back 40 about as far from the showers as you can get, or set up a base camp in the 24 hour area and have the tenters commute back and forth. I have never felt the need to run my generator (Honda) after 10:30 PM. (Well there was that one year that the AC would have been nice) Otherwise I use it for the lights in the evening and to keep my battery charged. At least they could put a couple of those portable shower trailers out by the south gate

Martyfeehan
07-02-2018, 06:49 PM
My hope is that the guy with the LOUD Chinese generator with the loose rod parks in the middle of the 24 hour area and runs his 24x7

I think I was next to that guy last year over by 29th and Cottenwood. Seems that area is now the only Non-generator area in the entire camp. I havbe a generator in my motorhome but i only run it for a while if it's really hot before lights out. Last year, that area was General Camping but they now have the water and electric sites moving that direction. Anyone know if the Semi Trailer parking for vendors is still inside Camp Scholler? Last year, they took up a lot of camping area around the south gate. That's a great area to camp if you ride a bike over to the Ultralight area. Might ask that in a new thread.
Marty

robert l
07-04-2018, 06:08 AM

My pop up is all hard side, no canvas ! But, it's still a pop up !
Bob

robert l
07-05-2018, 01:16 PM
If I remember correctly, there is a bicycle parking area near the Knapp st. entrance. Is there also one near the Main Gate entrance?
Thanks,
Bob

strangebird
07-14-2018, 08:55 AM
Cause you pay from today through the end of the week of Oshkosh. That's the way they work. That's why so many sites are still available.

So, if I reserve today the 14th and do not arrive until the 20th I get charged from the 14th even though I will not be using the site?

I guess then I am better off waiting until the day I arrive to pay for the site?, if any are left that is, they need to make it like hotels or other campgrounds, just another way to get every dime, out of us, please correct me if I am wrong

Rod Schneider
07-14-2018, 09:17 AM
So, if I reserve today the 14th and do not arrive until the 20th I get charged from the 14th even though I will not be using the site?

I guess then I am better off waiting until the day I arrive to pay for the site?, if any are left that is, they need to make it like hotels or other campgrounds, just another way to get every dime, out of us, please correct me if I am wrong

Yes, this is true, you pay from the time you reserve an improved site through the end of the convention. Not likely to change since the spots are usually all gone by opening day. As long as people are willing to pay, the EAA will continue to charge......

robert l
07-14-2018, 09:35 AM

There is a web site that you can book your spot in the campground and it shows you how many, and which ones are still available. BUT, I don't remember the web site. Sorry. I'm sure someone on here can help with that.
Bob

Cary
07-16-2018, 12:49 PM
That rule applies to all camp sites, not just the “improved” ones.
Not so. I have an email from EAA clarifying that it only applies to the electric/water sites.

Cary

Auburntsts
07-16-2018, 01:00 PM
Not so. I have an email from EAA clarifying that it only applies to the electric/water sites.

Cary

That does not jive with my camping experience in both Scholler or HBC, nor does it match what’s on the website. Not saying there hasn’t been a change that the website hasn’t caught up to, but as recently as last year you always paid for the entire week (plus any advance days) and were refunded for any nights you didn’t stay at departure.

Martyfeehan
07-16-2018, 02:57 PM
From everything I read posted by the EAA, the newer Electric sites are the only sites that can be specifically reserved. As such, you pay from the date you reserve the site through the end of the show with no refunds available for early departure. All other sites are first come, first serve and you pay from the first arrival day through the end of the show but are eligible for a refund for early departure. Refunds are based on minimum stay of three days. So, if you only camp two nights, lets say Monday and Tuesday night and leave Wednesday before noon , you will be refunded for the remaining days, starting with Thursday night, satisfying the three day minimum stay. Hope that's clear as mud ....... ;-)
Marty

Auburntsts
07-16-2018, 03:16 PM
You can reserve the regular or improved Scholler campsites online-- there's separate links on the reservation site (same site where you can buy tickets). All of the aircraft camping sites are first come first with no online reservation provision.

Jeff Point
07-16-2018, 03:48 PM
You can reserve the regular or improved Scholler campsites online-- there's separate links on the reservation site (same site where you can buy tickets). All of the aircraft camping sites are first come first with no online reservation provision.
You can buy general Scholler camping tickets online, but you can only reserve actual sites in the improved camping areas. All others are first come first served.

flybuddy
07-22-2018, 10:47 AM
Does anyone know approximately what date that the electric sites were all booked? It would be nice to have an idea for next year as to how long you can wait (save money for time you're not actually there) as opposed to booking on 6/29 and paying for a month when you're only camping for a week..thx

dclaxon
07-22-2018, 11:05 AM
Does anyone know approximately what date that the electric sites were all booked? It would be nice to have an idea for next year as to how long you can wait (save money for time you're not actually there) as opposed to booking on 6/29 and paying for a month when you're only camping for a week..thx

I've never looked at the reservation site, because I've invested too much over the years in camping gear that doesn't need electricity, but apparently the site lists how many sites are remaining. A buddy went up a few years ago with his brother's motorhome, and he said they just checked every day until the number of sites left got small, then reserved. I believe he said that was about Tuesday or Wednesday before opening day. So the trick is to just check every day and do it when the number gets small. Of course, I have no doubt that as more campers figure this trick out, that day will get real early.
Dave

Tom Casper
07-22-2018, 08:30 PM
I am told that as long as they keep selling out they plan to add a fair number each year. The "favorite tree" we always camped by was taken over this year by new electric water sites so we had to find another new spot. At almost $70 per night the electric and water are not that convenient for our tastes. We do just fine with a couple Honda 2000 watters, an extra water barrel and a honey wagon.

N3kf
07-25-2018, 10:43 PM
Does anyone know approximately what date that the electric sites were all booked? It would be nice to have an idea for next year as to how long you can wait (save money for time you're not actually there) as opposed to booking on 6/29 and paying for a month when you're only camping for a week..thxIt seems to vary. Two years ago with less sites you could have waited until the Friday before. Both last year and this year, end of day Wednesday before was pretty much it.

Marty Santic
07-31-2018, 06:49 PM
We camped in an improved site and left today, Tuesday after volunteering with cleanup. Had a great TIME. Still had electric and water today, a few days after AirAdventure. Anyone know when the EAA turns off the power and water after the event to the improved sites??

Marty Santic
07-31-2018, 06:56 PM
Another comment. Why did the EAA allow the vendor to increase the charge to dump the black and grey water tank from $30 last year to $45 this year. An EXCESSIVE increase that was NOT monitored? Would like the EAA to respond.

turtle
07-31-2018, 08:07 PM
Another comment. Why did the EAA allow the vendor to increase the charge to dump the black and grey water tank from $30 last year to $45 this year. An EXCESSIVE increase that was NOT monitored? Would like the EAA to respond.

Allow? This is the organization that told a vendor to stop giving away free water. An increase means the EAA gets a bigger cut. No way would they put members over profits.