PDA

View Full Version : Insurance

wmgeorge
04-28-2018, 07:22 PM
So what about Insurance? Liability Ins for Ultra Lights, I did a Search on here and came up with not much except UL are not considered air craft since they are not FAA approved? So does that mean they can go on your home owners or car policy?

martymayes
04-29-2018, 05:47 AM
So what about Insurance? Liability Ins for Ultra Lights, I did a Search on here and came up with not much except UL are not considered air craft since they are not FAA approved? So does that mean they can go on your home owners or car policy?

I believe this comes up on occasion, a third party liability policy is available through USUA http://www.usua.org/Insurance/ but it's of questionable value. Not many other options.

wmgeorge
04-29-2018, 06:11 AM
I believe this comes up on occasion, a third party liability policy is available through USUA http://www.usua.org/Insurance/ but it's of questionable value. Not many other options.

I will check into that, I was wondering what others had? Yes I have been in Clarklake Michigan, wife is from Jackson. I hate to be without insurance. Especially if I crash!!

martymayes
04-29-2018, 07:49 AM
I will check into that, I was wondering what others had? Yes I have been in Clarklake Michigan, wife is from Jackson. I hate to be without insurance. Especially if I crash!!

Yesterday was the JXN airport 90th birthday, official dedication of the newly built E-W runway and retirement party for the airport manager. The Yankee Air Museum B-17 flew all day long out there and ~300 people came out to see what was going on. A good day! All covered by insurance (just to keep on topic)

Sam Buchanan
04-29-2018, 11:23 AM

I've purchased the USUA third party policy for a couple of aircraft but not just to cover a crash. I was more concerned about somebody walking into the prop or the plane taxiing into something very expen$$$ive--the airport requires liability coverage for hangared aircraft.

The USUA policy was the only one available for the Legal Eagle ultralight, and the least expensive one I could get for the first year of flying the Fokker D.VII replica. It is now covered with a conventional aircraft policy.

Dana
04-29-2018, 03:56 PM
Ultralight insurance (third party liability only, it won't cover the aircraft or injury to the pilot), is available through USUA or ASC (Aero Sports Connection) at a reasonable cost. The cost and underwriter is the same for both organizations. I don't know about the "questionable value" part. I had insurance on my Kolb ultralight through USUA. Your homeowners or car policy will definitely NOT cover an ultralight.

wmgeorge
04-29-2018, 06:34 PM
Ultralight insurance (third party liability only, it won't cover the aircraft or injury to the pilot), is available through USUA or ASC (Aero Sports Connection) at a reasonable cost. The cost and underwriter is the same for both organizations. I don't know about the "questionable value" part. I had insurance on my Kolb ultralight through USUA. Your homeowners or car policy will definitely NOT cover an ultralight.

I am over 70 and have zero flying time. I understand to puchase any type of UL AC Insurance I need to have at least 5 hours of logged Instruction. So what is everyone consider as a reasonable rate for liability only? Thanks in advance.

wmgeorge
04-29-2018, 06:39 PM
Yesterday was the JXN airport 90th birthday, official dedication of the newly built E-W runway and retirement party for the airport manager. The Yankee Air Museum B-17 flew all day long out there and ~300 people came out to see what was going on. A good day! All covered by insurance (just to keep on topic)

My now deceased BIL Eric built a float plane and flew it down around Skiff Lake and hangered it somewhere on Or near Hwy 12. I love that area of Michigan.

Dana
05-02-2018, 05:44 PM
USUA insurance for foot launched (PPG and PHG) is $336/year, ultralights and LSA under 992# $437, LSA 992-1150# $500.

wmgeorge
05-05-2018, 06:26 AM
Thanks Dana, that is what I was looking for.

flyrgreen
10-11-2019, 06:19 PM
I just tried to get insurance through EAA's go-to people, Falcon Insurance. Was turned down flat, saying they don't want to write $500 liability-only policies anymore. I'm thinking that a large percentage of EAA-ers are not interested in hull insurance since they can rebuild on their own. So what makes EAA endorse this company?

Sam Buchanan
10-12-2019, 07:53 AM
I have a liability-only policy for the D.VII wannabe through Global Aerospace (agent is SkySmith) with a premium less than $500.

robert l
10-12-2019, 08:51 PM
While we're on the subject of insurance, riddle me this; I have just recently gotten my 3rd class back and I'm signed off on a Cessna 150 and 172. Each aircraft is owned by different individuals and I'm wondering if I could get both on the same policy. I've had non owners ins with Avemco when I was renting a champ at another airport, but I just haven't looked into this particular scenario. Just wondering if anyone had any knowledge about this before I start digging.
Thanks,
Bob

FlyingRon
10-13-2019, 08:51 AM
Non-owned (renters) coverage isn't usually tied to any particular aircraft. It just states a maximum value of coverage and that you have to have no interest in the plane.

robert l
10-13-2019, 01:05 PM
Thanks Ron, I should have figured that one out because when I had it before I don't think they asked about the plane, just how much coverage I wanted.