PDA

View Full Version : Concerts 2018

Planecrazy232
04-19-2018, 04:01 PM
So my wife comes with me to Airventure for the fun and excitement. Actually she tolerates the trip and is looking forward to the evening concerts. Who is playing in them in 2018? Can anybody answer?

Thanks!

Anthony

biggles1998
04-20-2018, 03:46 AM
i noticed this occurring at the same time as Airventure.. https://www.oshkoshmainstreetmusicfestival.com/

Sam Oleson
04-20-2018, 07:08 AM
Hello Anthony,

We'll likely be announcing our opening night concert in the near future.

Thanks!

Planecrazy232
05-23-2018, 02:41 PM
Any updates on the entertainment? Wifey is getting antsy...

Sam Oleson
05-23-2018, 03:21 PM
Hello, none at this time. Hopefully will be soon!

lynnlpitts
05-25-2018, 03:01 PM
Why is this an issue this year....many people's plans need to be addressed as to whether they will stay Monday night for a concert? Sure wish Tom was sil in charge of organization! Thanks, Lynn 49054

Sam Oleson
05-25-2018, 03:11 PM
Hi Lynn, we apologize that it's taking a while this year. We hope to have it finalized and announced soon. Thank you for your patience.

Kurt Flunkn
05-25-2018, 10:48 PM
I hope they get Jerry's One Man Band out of retirement.....

N3kf
06-06-2018, 09:24 AM
Looks like they just announced. Can't say I know either of the bands.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Floatsflyer
06-06-2018, 10:27 AM
Dustin Lynch and Maddie & Tai. WHO??? Once again, my Monday night is wide open.

CHICAGORANDY
06-06-2018, 11:48 AM
If nothing else they really should put a memorial boom box at that intersection and play Jerry's CD's all day.

lynnlpitts
06-06-2018, 12:31 PM
Yeah...who are they....well the only way I get to buy camping and air show tickets for a lot of my family (12) is to sweeten the deal with the music event...but I guess again this year we will be traveling alone! Hard to beat the Beach Boys...guess I am old, but I still like to hear the good music from the fifties and sixties! I guess a way we can show our view about this is to go buy a Chevrolet! HHi , 73, WD0BLR

Tom Steber
06-06-2018, 12:36 PM
Yup, looks like an early drive back to Green Bay is in order. Oh well, just means an early start to head back to Oshkosh Tuesday morning. Fingers crossed for 2019.

Auburntsts
06-06-2018, 04:50 PM
Dustin Lynch and Maddie & Tai. WHO??? Once again, my Monday night is wide open.

First rate current Country acts. Night quite as good as Dierks Bentley from a couple years ago, but good nevertheless. Both my wife and daughter like them and are very happy with the announcement. I like them too, but not enough to miss the RV social IF I was going to be there solo. http://www.vansairforce.com/community/images/smilies/frown.gif So I guess no social beer for me — I know from first hand experience from a few years ago that the kegs will be dry before the end of the concert. So the SOS Bros will have to do after the concert http://www.vansairforce.com/community/images/smilies/biggrin.gif

Floatsflyer
06-06-2018, 05:19 PM
First rate current Country acts. Night quite as good as Dierks Bentley from a couple years ago, but good nevertheless. [COLOR=#000000][FONT=verdana] Both my wife and daughter like them and are very happy with the announcement. I like them too, but not enough to miss the RV social

I appreciate that C&W has a big following and is a major music category, I'm just not a part of that scene but I thank you for the info. Enjoy the concert if you go.

Cattflight
06-07-2018, 01:04 AM
Can't say I'm excited about a lesser known country act opening night. And since it took until only 7 weeks before the event to secure and announce it, I have to guess EAA isn't offering "Chicago" and "Dierks Bentley" rate for this year's show. Since starting my treks to Airventure, I've seen opening night concerts by Chicago (twice), Steve Miller Band, Dierks Bentley, REO Speedwagon, Barenaked Ladies, Kenny Loggins, Third Eye Blind, and U2. (Okay, not really U2).
The acts for 2018 might be wonderful but at an event like this, I often just want to hear a catalog of songs I already know, performed by the original artist. But that's just me.

stummers
06-20-2018, 12:29 PM
Watched some of his videos and Dustin puts on a good a show. My kids are excited also. Thanks Ford and EAA for getting great entertainment.

malexander
06-20-2018, 12:40 PM
First rate current Country acts. Night quite as good as Dierks Bentley from a couple years ago, but good nevertheless. Both my wife and daughter like them and are very happy with the announcement. I like them too, but not enough to miss the RV social IF I was going to be there solo. http://www.vansairforce.com/community/images/smilies/frown.gif So I guess no social beer for me — I know from first hand experience from a few years ago that the kegs will be dry before the end of the concert. So the SOS Bros will have to do after the concert http://www.vansairforce.com/community/images/smilies/biggrin.gif

Sleepy Hollow Farm Campground, just across the street from SOS, has a great bar. They opened up last year.

Auburntsts
06-20-2018, 12:46 PM
Sleepy Hollow Farm Campground, just across the street from SOS, has a great bar. They opened up last year.

Do they have food and music?

robert l
06-20-2018, 07:05 PM
Do they have food and music?

Yes, and beer !

Auburntsts
06-21-2018, 04:56 AM
....and beer !

LOL, I would hope so it being a bar and all. We’ll have to check it out.

CHICAGORANDY
06-21-2018, 06:12 AM
As a tram volunteer "Concert Night" usually means we get off work early because they pull the rigs off the streets due to the invasion of non-aviation types crowding the roads.. I don't much follow modern music acts or country and western stuff but I wonder out loud is there exists a group or single entertainer that wouldn't be objectionable to some group of convention attendees? Seems like C/W is pretty popular in that area of Wisconsin so EAA planners picked entertainers within their parameters and budget. No harm, no foul. Thems what likes it will stay and enjoy, thems what don't...won't. I expect huge crowds regardless.

Auburntsts
06-21-2018, 06:58 AM
Probably not—you are never going to please everyone as this thread illustrates. They most likely have to stick to “least objectionable” acts within the budget and that’s always going to be a compromise, especially since the concert is free. Retread Rock acts seem to be the goto genre. This year’s Country acts (nobody use the term Country & Western anymore) is only the 2nd one that I can recall over the past 15 years or so.

skyfixer8
06-21-2018, 07:29 AM
Wow Randy, You got off work for a concert ? Never happened to me. Guess I need to have my conductor tell more jokes. LOL

CHICAGORANDY
06-21-2018, 07:45 AM
Depends on which route - If security closes off the main road thru the exhibits, anything north of there would be trapped so they get pulled. If my aging memory serves - lol - or am I thinking about a special air show event? I dunno. I just want July to get here already, I wanna see the airplanes!

Wrongway Feldman
06-21-2018, 10:29 AM
Seems like C/W is pretty popular in that area of Wisconsin.
There is a big country music festival going on in Oshkosh
right now ! Across the street from EAA

http://www.countryusaoshkosh.com (http://www.countryusaoshkosh.com/)
One would think Wisconsin C/W music fans would get there fix and be looking for a change, by the time AirVenture Shows up.
A C/W music smorgasbord this year in Oshkosh.
I guess if you can't beat'em might as well join'em :)

Floatsflyer
06-21-2018, 11:48 AM

No thanks, not me, but I will always defend your right to see and listen to as much C&W as you can stand.

lynnlpitts
06-21-2018, 12:05 PM
There is a big country music festival going on in Oshkosh
right now ! Across the street from EAA

http://www.countryusaoshkosh.com (http://www.countryusaoshkosh.com/)
One would think Wisconsin C/W music fans would get there fix and be looking for a change, by the time AirVenture Shows up.
A C/W music smorgasbord this year in Oshkosh.

I agree...I like the old Western music...but not this...Anyway, I'm glad the people that attend Oshkosh are better about respect in the campgrounds than those who attended the "music" event across the road....remember the way the trashed the campgrounds and facilities with litter and beer bottles.

Cattflight
06-21-2018, 01:21 PM
nobody use the term Country & Western anymore

This is what they're calling "New Country" these days. Merle Haggard would probably roll in his grave if they tried calling this "Country". He'd probably come back to life to play a concert and show everyone the real deal if anyone called it "Country & Western". ;)

PaulDow
06-21-2018, 02:47 PM
(nobody uses the term Country & Western anymore)

https://youtu.be/cSZfUnCK5qk

Floatsflyer
06-21-2018, 03:09 PM
https://youtu.be/cSZfUnCK5qk

Beauty retort!

Auburntsts
06-21-2018, 03:30 PM
Beauty retort!

The funny thing is I originally was going to say nobody says Country and Western since the Blues Bros. Oh well, I don’t get the anti country sentiment, but I suppose if they booked a hip hop artist I’d have similar feelings. I personally listen to about 50% classic rock, 30% country, 10% alternative rock, and 10% a hodge podge. However I’m not averse to watching a free concert of any genre. I’m not going to Osh for the concert so it really doesn’t matter who they get at the end of the day. All I know is no matter who they book, some folks will be happy, some will complain, and most will be ambivalent.

robert l
06-22-2018, 08:20 PM
Well, I'll skip the concert and just do a little pickin' of my own in the camp ground. Any body like Bob Dylan, John Prine and Blues ? Doesn't matter, I play for my own enjoyment anyway ! LOL !
Bob

Floatsflyer
06-22-2018, 09:33 PM
Well, I'll skip the concert and just do a little pickin' of my own in the camp ground. Any body like Bob Dylan, John Prine and Blues. Bob

+++1. I knew your avatar would also mean a love of great music. Play it loud, I'll follow the sound.

robert l
06-23-2018, 11:39 AM
:thumbsup:
+++1. I knew your avatar would also mean a love of great music. Play it loud, I'll follow the sound.

malexander
06-25-2018, 03:43 AM
Yes, and beer !

.........And a lot of Wisconsin beers.

ssteve1
06-27-2018, 08:07 PM
If nothing else they really should put a memorial boom box at that intersection and play Jerry's CD's all day.

:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup: :thumbsup:

FlyingRon
06-30-2018, 06:06 AM
I agree...I like the old Western music...but not this...Anyway, I'm glad the people that attend Oshkosh are better about respect in the campgrounds than those who attended the "music" event across the road....remember the way the trashed the campgrounds and facilities with litter and beer bottles.
Agreed. It's a shame that people think Country and Western are synonyms. It's like assuming Acid Rock and Disco are the same thing.

Floatsflyer
06-30-2018, 06:54 AM
It's like assuming Acid Rock and Disco are the same thing.

They're not? :>(

Auburntsts
06-30-2018, 08:04 AM
What’s Western music?

robert l
06-30-2018, 08:18 PM
What’s Western music?

Maybe Western Swing ??? :confused:

robert l
06-30-2018, 08:23 PM
What about Acid Country ? https://youtu.be/4-xOtbr2bjE

Serenity_Valley
07-01-2018, 08:07 AM
What’s Western music?

As I heard it said at a country-western show in Colorado years ago, Country is when you're singing about somebody else's wife. Western is when you're singing about somebody else's horse.

Auburntsts
07-01-2018, 10:55 AM
As I heard it said at a country-western show in Colorado years ago, Country is when you're singing about somebody else's wife. Western is when you're singing about somebody else's horse.

This is where we need a like button!

Mayhemxpc
07-01-2018, 04:04 PM
What’s Western music?

Well if you were to ask the Russians: The Beatles, The Rolling Stones, and The Beach Boys would all be considered decadent Western Music.

FlyingRon
07-04-2018, 03:25 PM
You need to watch the movie 1-2-3, a story of a capitalist Coca Cola exec thrust into cold war Berlin. The torture scene is pretty amusing:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=heAxSmpW0S8

robert l
07-05-2018, 05:01 AM
Thanks Ron, I didn't understand any of the "Deutschland" conversation but I'm very familiar with "Itsy Bitsy Teenie Weenie" song ! I love old movies.
Bob

FlyingRon
07-05-2018, 09:25 AM
Most of the movie is in English. One of the last James Cagney films made (he disliked this one so much he didn't make anymore save a little cameo in Ragtime 20 years later (and a couple of narrations).

Anyhow, the gist is that they force him to confess to being an American Spy working for the CIA (then led by Allen Dulles, the brother of John Foster Dulles, who was Secretary of State and the namesake of the Northern Virginia Airport).

The context is that this guy is the communist boy that the daughter of a Coca-Cola exec that Jimmy Cagney's character has been tasked to watch. He decides to have the guy detained in East Berlin.

Amusingly, production of this film hit a snag when the Berlin wall was suddenly erected during the filming.

Mayhemxpc
07-05-2018, 04:48 PM
A wonderful example of Western Music!

1-2-3 is a hilarious movie. Originally a play, “Situation hopeless but not serious.” The more you know about Germans the funnier it is. (It caricatures Americans, too.) It was so nice of the East German Volkspolizei and Stasi to continue to use the old 3d Reich uniforms. It certainly helped to identify them as the bad guys.

streffpilot
08-06-2018, 05:36 AM
Now that the week is over and done with, I just wanted to come here and voice my thanks to EAA (and Ford, who as we all know is the one who writes the check) for the Monday night concert.

Maddie and Tay are obviously new to the scene, and still figuring things out....Dustin Lynch on the other hand did very well....even bringing in some non country music for those who aren't really into that.

Good Job!

Wickbuilder
08-17-2018, 02:56 PM
The problem to me is nobody let these artists in on the fact that they are here to entertain the most diverse crowd they have ever played to. Very few are fans of them personally. They have to earn some new listeners.
I thought they did a great job and was glad I stayed.
Cant wait until next year.