PDA

View Full Version : Camping Oshkosh 1st time

Al 1976
04-13-2018, 04:22 PM
I have been to Oshkosh before but just for the day. I would like to arrive on Friday 3 days before it officially starts and camp in camp Scholler in a camper. I’m not really sure how it works getting there before it starts. If I want to go to the north 40 or homebuilt or warbird area do I have to walk there or are the free trams running? Do you have wristbands if your camping? How about the official show grounds are you u able to walk around while they are setting up airplanes and in any of the buildings or is that area only open on Monday when air venture officially starts? Any info on things to do before Monday morning such as food vendors or daytime and evening activities on the grounds would be appreciated . Thanks!!!

CHICAGORANDY
04-13-2018, 10:29 PM
Camping info and site reservation process is outlined on the EAA Airventure website.

https://www.eaa.org/en/airventure/plan-your-eaa-airventure-trip/eaa-camping-information

Limited trams generally are running the routes starting Saturday afternoon 7/21. Exhibit hangars are not open to the public until Monday morning, but parts of the Fly Market might be doing business.. You are free to walk all the grounds Saturday & Sunday, visit the museum etc. Some of the food vendors ARE open.

You can expect a LOT of vehicle/truck/forklift traffic on the grounds as the vendors all scurry to get this aviation city assembled in time for Monday morning. My first shift conducting on the trams is usually Saturday afternoon and it remains a marvel to me every year to watch how much is accomplished in 48 hours. All the airplane arrivals and the terrific volunteers getting them all parked in their respective areas is something to behold.

mazdaP5
04-14-2018, 05:58 AM
Saturday and Sunday before the show are the best times for pure plane watching. No airshow, but the arrivals are highly entertaining and relaxing to watch.

Al 1976
04-14-2018, 06:14 AM
Thank you!

Al 1976
04-14-2018, 06:15 AM
Thanks. That’s why I want to arrive early to watch all the aircraft.

gbrasch
04-14-2018, 10:23 AM
And you will be amazed at how many other campers are there already.

Floatsflyer
04-14-2018, 10:42 AM
Exhibit hangars are not open to the public until Monday morning,

That might be the official stated restriction from AV but the practical reality is that the hangars are wide open on Sat. and Sun. and although there is not much to see except who's where and the hustle and bustle of exhibit set ups, I have walked through all four every year for years on either Sat. or Sun. with no hassle. Just make sure you just look and don't touch anything!

And parking is free on Sat. and Sun.

CHICAGORANDY
04-16-2018, 05:25 AM
To the OP, I can guarantee that you will find being there an entire week+ will be SO much more jam packed fun than trying to cram it all into just a single day's visit. You could plan to spend hours or a full day in each area leisurely strolling all the exhibits, including the museum and seaplane base with plenty of time to head over by the flight line for the daily air shows. You still may not see it all and that's why we come back year after year. Walk till you're tired of walking and then grab a tram or bus to the next zone of interest.

Sam Oleson
04-18-2018, 07:44 AM
Hey guys, we just wanted to give a quick update on some of the new policy changes occurring this year at AirVenture. This will be going in our e-newsletter this week, but we figured we'd share it here as well:

The growth of EAA AirVenture Oshkosh is tremendous, but it’s led to some logistical challenges. One of them is the unique nature of the event: Unlike most events that can keep the gates closed until Opening Day, final AirVenture prep work is taking place while thousands of people are arriving on the grounds with their airplanes, motorhomes, and other camping equipment. To improve safety, security, and mobility in these final hectic days before AirVenture opening day, several new policies are going into effect in 2018. These new procedures will be in place from Thursday, July 19 through Sunday, July 22.

Grounds Access: Entry will be allowed to credentialed vehicles ONLY through Gates 33 (Waukau Avenue) and 26 (Knapp Street Rd/Theater in the Woods). Other vehicle gates will be closed. Non-credentialed vehicles are NOT allowed on the grounds, the same as during AirVenture week. Personal golf carts, scooters, bicycles and other such vehicles are also prohibited. The restricted area (shown on map) will be enforced in order to ensure safety for everyone involved as AirVenture preparation is underway.

Exhibitors and vendors within the restricted area will receive special pre-event lanyard credentials. While early AirVenture attendees — such as those arriving with their aircraft — will not require wristbands until Sunday, July 22, they are asked to avoid entering the restricted area. Non-credentialed volunteers will be allowed onto the grounds ONLY to pick up credential packets from their chairmen. EAA security will be present in the restricted area. Non-credentialed vehicles will be turned away or asked to leave.

Exhibit Hangar Access: On Thursday, July 19 through Sunday, July 22, there will be strict enforcement of access to Exhibit Hangars A-D. Only credentialed exhibitors and vendors are allowed during open hours from 8 a.m. until 6 p.m. on those days.

Aviation Gateway Park Access: From Thursday, July 19 through Sunday, July 22, there will be strict enforcement of access to Aviation Gateway Park exhibit facilities such as the Innovation Showcase, UAV Showcase, and Education/Career Center. Access is limited to credentialed exhibitors and vendors, and only between the hours of 8 a.m. until 6 p.m. At 6 p.m. sharp, doors will be locked.

Outdoor Exhibit Access: Outdoor exhibits are not open until Monday, July 23. Visitors on the grounds before that time are asked to give space to allow exhibitors to finish setting up their areas and to exercise caution anywhere around the outdoor exhibit areas due to the presence of equipment used to prepare the areas for the fun hustle and bustle of AirVenture.

Thank you for your cooperation! This is a new policy this year, one undertaken with safety foremost in mind. There is a tremendous amount of work that must be completed in the final days before AirVenture opens, and we want to give our staff, volunteers, exhibitors, and vendors every opportunity to safely and effectively prepare for The World’s Greatest Aviation Celebration.

Floatsflyer
04-18-2018, 11:13 AM
Hi Sam Oleson,

I have read and re-read very carefully these new policies concerning on field access and restrictions between Thurs. July 19-Sun. July 22. My takeaway is that WALKING through the grounds and among the outdoor exhibit areas is still permitted. Please confirm, thanks.

CHICAGORANDY
04-19-2018, 07:20 AM
That's how I'm reading it - stay out of the vendors way but free to wander. I wonder what area is 'restricted'? Just have to wait to see the e-mail and the map I reckon.

Sam Oleson
04-19-2018, 01:49 PM
Hi Floats,

Walking through the grounds and among outdoor exhibit areas is still permitted. Sunday a wristband will be required. We also want everyone to be aware of the amount of traffic in terms of semis, forklifts, etc. that will be moving about.

Thanks!

Floatsflyer
04-19-2018, 02:31 PM
Hi Sam,

Thanks for the confirmation. Nothing on my TCAS as yet, will check the traffic, uniform whiskey whiskey.

CHICAGORANDY
04-19-2018, 04:33 PM
The "Restricted Area" is sizeable and highlighted on this map. The plane parking areas are available, but not the FlyMarket.

Floatsflyer
04-19-2018, 05:38 PM
Now the waters are really muddied by that yellow restricted area map. It appears to be totally inconsistent with what Sam Oleson just confirmed to me about being permitted to walk the grounds and the outdoor exhibit areas.

Sam, now I'm confused, please clarify. Thanks.

Kyle Boatright
04-19-2018, 05:54 PM
We're being repressed!

Cue the Monty Python reference:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l8ukak8P2vY

Kevin O'Halloran
04-19-2018, 06:47 PM
WELL--how are we suppose to get our stuff over to aeromart on sunday for check in????
A bunch of us go over to the ABS ( american bonanza society) tent on sunday and help set up.
Who ever came up with this plan--did not think it through--time to go back to the drawing board
Kevin

Sam Oleson
04-20-2018, 07:25 AM
Hi Floats,

I'm checking in with our security folks to clarify on this matter. I'll get back to you ASAP.

Thanks.

Sam Oleson
04-20-2018, 08:04 AM
I've received more clarification from our Director of Communications about the new policy and map. Pedestrians will still be allowed to walk through what's labeled as the "restricted area." Vehicles with proper credentials will be allowed to travel on Knapp St. Caution is advised when walking through the "restricted" area simply because of the amount of set-up going on.

CHICAGORANDY
04-20-2018, 08:07 AM
Thanks a million Sam - this comes as a relief to those of us on site early.

David Bally
04-20-2018, 09:25 AM
I to have been going to Oshkosh ( the locals call it EAA ) on day trips for many years but started camping at Scholler about 7 years ago. The first morning still gives me chills as I woke to afterburners at sunrise with the first takeoff of the day, still gives me chills. Not sure everybody else enjoyed waking up this way but hey it is the greatest airshow on earth. Decided to go later in the week for Sloshkosh and nearly froze at Frostkosh. Most of the time the weather is great but anything can happen. Some years they sale 50 gallon barrels of cheap rain coats and some they sell none. Bring hat sunglasses and sunscreen and expect the best time of your life.

I like to get there on Friday morning but expect to set up West of Stitts or South of Elm and not real close to the shower houses as most all other sites are already taken or reserved, many by volunteers that have been there for weeks or more. If you are in a RV and want power and or water you have to reserve these on a first pay basis. There are some buses that volunteers use but I bring a bike to get around and there is some food venders because of the great amount of volunteers or run into town.

You can volunteer in any area that interest you or watch the flight line or the campers coming in or help somebody set up, say you are building a RV this a good way to get to know the company. But please stay out of the restricted area as this is a job site of lift trucks delivery vehicles large aircraft set up personal going in all directions, you are just in the way and nobody wants to talk as they have so many things going on to get ready.

There seems to be two different types of campers, those that bring the whole family or bring a whole wagon train of family and friends and those of us that are solo. I have found it very interesting meeting those who are solo, wish there was an area for solo to Scholler to share stories with others. Have had great times and hope you do too.

Sam Oleson
04-20-2018, 12:19 PM
One more quick clarification on this policy: pedestrians are being encouraged to use Wittman and Knapp when crossing what's being called the "restricted" area. Basically what we're trying to avoid is traffic (foot and vehicular) around the exhibits in that area, because of the use of forklifts, etc. We're developing a common Q&A list involving this policy, as there has been confusion about certain things. Thanks for your patience!

Al 1976
04-26-2018, 06:39 PM
Thanks for all the information. I was thinking of showing up solo and leaving the family at home. I wasn’t sure if a lot of people did this or not at Oshkosh?????? And yes I am seriously thinking of building a rv-10 I can’t wait to see some of the actual planes and talk with the owners.

CarlOrton
04-27-2018, 11:49 AM
Al, Oshkosh is about the most family-friendly venue on the planet! There's something for everyone. Look at the airventure.org site for KidVenture - but I don't know your kid ages or even if you have kids. Some spouses love it, some really don't. I would guess that the vast majority of attendees bring the family. There's forums and activities for all, including craft tents, etc., if someone's not into airplanes. There's even buses that will take you over to the outlet malls or other tours if they need a break.

I used to attend Oshkosh solo from Saturday PM thru Wednesday. The first time I took my wife, she made me extend our stay (we use the dorms) for the full week the following year.