PDA

View Full Version : WANTED: Rutan's quickie q1 SCHEMES

arseniy
04-08-2018, 01:21 PM
hi, I'm newbie on eaa forum :P
but I'm looking for any plots of rutans quickle q1 or dragonfly

i've visited quickheads°com and downloaded a lot of documents about plane but it don't giving enough information( such as wing shape , metrics etc.)

I'm pretty open for any free/paid plans very wishful in digital copy for fair use
ready to any tips
thanks.

CharlieN
04-09-2018, 11:03 AM
You are aware the Q1 and Dragonfly are considerably different aircraft as the Q1 is a single place powered by small motors.
There is a Quickie forum at,http://www.quickheads.com/index.php?option=com_kunena&view=category&catid=14&Itemid=468

Your best bet is to buy a set of plans on the Quickheads site, these will be on paper. There are no CAD versions I am aware of. I did start to draw the Q2 in CAD but lost interest.
There maybe some control system parts out there but they truly are easy to build your own. I keep finding original parts from one in my storage area but have never compiled them into one place. My Q1 has all my own design control system with everything on bearings since the biggest design failure of the early Rutan designs were the steel on steel control pivots which may be fine in a desert but soon froze up in the rest of the world.
The original airfoils were of a very poor selection and should be changed out. They tried an LS-1 front airfoil, I happen to have bought the first set of carbon spars for this, but that airfoil is nothing great either and the high pitching moment makes a non linear stick feel. One does not get much lift from the wings either which causes rather fast TO and landings. Not something great out east here.

CharlieN
04-09-2018, 12:01 PM
I changed the link above seems to work from my computer, might only be from mine.

arseniy
04-11-2018, 05:03 AM
yeah, I'm understand that q1 and dragonfly are different. :D
and I had hoped that there's a scanned version of sets you mentioned

benthepilot
04-13-2018, 08:56 AM
Hello. If you are interested, I bought last year a brand new set of Dragonfly plans. There are unused and excellent shape. I wouls resell them at same price.

N517G
06-15-2018, 12:05 PM
Charlie,
Do you see the Q1 come up for sale often?

N517G
06-15-2018, 12:06 PM
I actually have the hotwire templates for the rear wing and LS-1 canard somewhere. As others covered, the plans are out there.

CharlieN
06-16-2018, 03:16 AM
Charlie,
Do you see the Q1 come up for sale often?

Only intermittently, the Q2 shows up more often, which is not allot.
When working with the original templates, make sure the inner and outer wing templates are the same shape. Mine were not.

One issue which I consider a BIG issue with these planes, Q1&2. For some reason I can not comprehend is the control surface hinges were steel on steel. It took very little time for these to freeze up and make the plane un-flyable. I made the bushings in my plane from Delrin.

ulpilot
06-16-2018, 02:41 PM
One issue which I consider a BIG issue with these planes, Q1&2. For some reason I can not comprehend is the control surface hinges were steel on steel. It took very little time for these to freeze up and make the plane un-flyable. I made the bushings in my plane from Delrin.

Aircraft have been using steel on steel hinges since the Wrights built planes in 1903. Like engines, a little bit of oil now an then keeps things running smooth!

CharlieN
06-17-2018, 03:49 AM
Aircraft have been using steel on steel hinges since the Wrights built planes in 1903. Like engines, a little bit of oil now an then keeps things running smooth!

And do you see any way to get oil into these hinges on these planes? We are no longer living with the limited materials that most all mechanical things were engineered with 100+ years ago. By the 1920s Bronze bushings or ball bearings were used in hinge points on most every aircraft. At least every aircraft I have restored or work on in the past 40 years has had bronze or ball bearings in them.

When you see one of the Rutan designed aircraft hanging in a museum, you will find the control surfaces are frozen. Last year my Chapter was donated a Long EZ project, it sits in the field behind my house. I can not find any way to remove any control surface without the structure tearing apart due to how severely the steel bushings have seized.

Too me it is so easy to substitute Delrin for the steel bushings in these planes and have a very simple non maintenance part, at least use bronze but lord knows how you will properly service them yearly.

Marc Zeitlin
06-17-2018, 07:23 PM
When you see one of the Rutan designed aircraft hanging in a museum, you will find the control surfaces are frozen. Last year my Chapter was donated a Long EZ project, it sits in the field behind my house. I can not find any way to remove any control surface without the structure tearing apart due to how severely the steel bushings have seized...Marginally off topic here, but:

I don't know what the materials are in Q1's and Q2's for control surface bushings - the plans I have don't say - but I can tell you that in close to 100 inspections/examinations of Rutan derivative aircraft (Varieze, Long-EZ, COZY III, COZY MKIV) I don't think I've ever seen a steel on steel bearing surface in the control system, and it's certainly not specified that way.

For the GU canard on VE, LE and COZY III aircraft, the elevator hinges are aluminum and they have bronze bushings pressed in, in which ride AN bolts as the bearing surface. For Roncz canards on LE, COZY III and COZY MKIV aircraft, the long SS hinge pin rides in AL plugs inside the torque tube, and in plated steel inside the offset weldments if there are weldments.

For the ailerons, steel hinge pins are used in standard AL extruded piano hinges. Same with the rudders. Many folks have gone to teflon tubes with smaller hinge pins for the piano hinges to reduce wear.

No steel on steel anywhere.

Apparently there are planes out there with steel on steel hinges, but these Rutan derivative aircraft are not in that category. Now, being plans built planes, who knows what the guy who built the one in your backyard did - he could have glued the hinges together, for all we know. But that's not per design. And I guarantee I could get your airplane disassembled without major damage to any structure.

CharlieN
06-18-2018, 04:01 AM
The few planes I have direct hands on the hinges were steel bushings that were supplied in the kit which fit over cut off AN bolts as the pivot pin.
Wherever the left over parts are the steel bushings are still in a box.
It may be very possible the bushing material was changed in the kits as years went by.