PDA

View Full Version : AirVenture Idea: BasicMed

Patrick
02-13-2018, 09:59 AM
How about having a doctor at AirVenture - actually on the grounds - who is willing to perform BasicMed exams and sign the document...?

Perhaps that could be part of a "BasicMed Forum" or similar. Pilots attend the forum, then get to make an appointment with the on-site doctor.

Thoughts....?

Patrick Hoyt
N63PZ
EAA Lifetime 373507

malexander
02-13-2018, 02:46 PM
I think that'd be pretty neat.

DaleB
02-13-2018, 04:50 PM
Picture of the line for that:

Floatsflyer
02-13-2018, 06:51 PM
How about having a doctor at AirVenture - actually on the grounds - who is willing to perform BasicMed exams and sign the document...?

Thoughts....?

Patrick Hoyt
N63PZ
EAA Lifetime 373507

Just one!? Your idea is thoughtful theoretically. Practically, even if you could round up a minimum of 500 doctors administering medicals to thousands of people over one week, that's a logistical improbability. Dale's visual points this out X a thousand.

Patrick
02-13-2018, 08:11 PM
Granted that the demand would be high. How then to winnow down the numbers to a realistically achievable number...?

Perhaps give priority to pilots who have flown their homebuilt aircraft into AirVenture. Or who satisfy some other criteria that is dear to the EAA. Or those who are willing to make a charitable donation or something. It seems possible.

I wonder if the guys at EAA HQ have already thought about this.

DaleB
02-13-2018, 08:25 PM
Easy: Don't do it for free, no insurance paperwork filed. That will winnow it down to the few thousand willing to pay cash.

rwanttaja
02-13-2018, 09:25 PM
Granted that the demand would be high. How then to winnow down the numbers to a realistically achievable number...?

Perhaps give priority to pilots who have flown their homebuilt aircraft into AirVenture. Or who satisfy some other criteria that is dear to the EAA. Or those who are willing to make a charitable donation or something. It seems possible.

I wonder if the guys at EAA HQ have already thought about this.
I kinda think the lawyers at EAA HQ are probably are saying, "If someone has a medical condition that the EAA-Sponsored medical exam misses, we'll get our [biblical beasts of burden] sued off."

I can see EAA making a facility available, even doing some promotion for the entity holding it, but can't see EAA actually sponsoring such a program.

Ron Wanttaja

Patrick
02-15-2018, 06:15 AM
I kinda think the lawyers at EAA HQ are probably are saying....

I hope you're not right, but I have a hunch that you are.

It would be ironic if the official position of the world's most prominent aviation/homebuilding organization was the same as that of some of the world's least "aviation-knowledgable" people (the general medical community).

Still, one maintains hope. I can envision enterprising doctors setting up temporary exam stations during AirVenture week. Perhaps off the grounds in hotel rooms. Maybe in the local college dorms. Even in campers at Camp Scholler.

There's money to be made here....

- Pat

Mayhemxpc
02-18-2018, 07:55 AM
... some of the world's least "aviation-knowledgable" people (the general medical community).

- Pat

I apologize for introducing a shiny object, but the first thing that came to mind when reading that was "Doctors and Bonanzas."

Sam Buchanan
02-18-2018, 08:28 AM
Still, one maintains hope. I can envision enterprising doctors setting up temporary exam stations during AirVenture week. Perhaps off the grounds in hotel rooms. Maybe in the local college dorms. Even in campers at Camp Scholler.

There's money to be made here....

- Pat

Really?

How attractive would it be for a physician who knocks down a few hundred thousand dollar$$ a year to spend his/her OSH vacation in a dorm or hotel room working for a mere pittance?

Bill Berson
02-18-2018, 10:09 AM
I like the concept, but not many pilots in this vast country make it to Oshkosh. It should be local.
Actually, in a more freedom oriented country, the checklist could be done by the pilot.

There is some precedent for this concept. In my county, I have a choice of paying a "septic tank Doctor" every three years for the county required septic tank inspection, or taking a class to get authority to do the inspection myself. I took the class.