PDA

View Full Version : Taking Nervous First Time Passengers for a Flight - VIDEO

Ryan Dembroski
01-30-2018, 11:56 AM
So I'm back at it again! Back in July, my friends Lynne and Cassidy were brave enough to give flying a try.
We took a quick hop up from KMWC (Milwaukee's Timmerman Field) to KHXF (Hartford, WI - Home of the Cub Club and the Cubs2OSH Mass Arrivals).
They were pretty nervous, but we picked the right night. It was one of those quintessential Wisconsin summer nights. Perfect air. Perfect sun.
After some pep talks and reassurances (If you aren't having fun, we're landing) we took to the sky and had a blast.
We might even have a future pilot in our midst.

As always, would love my EAA brothers' and sisters' feedback on this!

https://youtu.be/JLoykbYpwqM

Hal Bryan
01-30-2018, 01:46 PM
Ryan - nice job! You did, in fact, shave the legs on this one!

champ driver
01-30-2018, 02:21 PM
Fun little video, thanks for sharing.
Ya got any videos for nervous pilots?

Bill Greenwood
01-30-2018, 03:11 PM
Good video Ryan, but the still picture of you is zombie like. That look reminds me of the guys in WOLF OF WALL STREET when they take a little Qualudes and then decide it must not be working so they take two more doses. Hey, who needs to walk if you can crawl. But one question, what did you mean by "three in the green" when you are in a fixed gear plane and on the takeoff roll, never heard that one?

Paul8661
01-30-2018, 03:57 PM
Great video. You really captured the fun and joy of flying with friends

Floatsflyer
01-30-2018, 05:02 PM
But one question, what did you mean by "three in the green" when you are in a fixed gear plane and on the takeoff roll, never heard that one?

....oil temp, oil pressure, suction??

Enjoyed the video.

1600vw
01-30-2018, 05:09 PM
When a buddy and myself have flown some friends for the first time whom were very nervous, we made them part of the flight. Meaning, they went through the walk around with us. We then showed them everything needed to open and close the doors, adjust the seat and what not. Then before the engine ever started we talked about our flight plan. What we would do if the engine quits at certain points. Meaning if we have just left the ground what we would do. If it quits at the end of the runway or above the end of said runway what we would do. The field we would land in. We even discussed such things as what air speed we will be at when we rotate. What speed we will be climbing out at and what speed we would be cruising at. You could see all this talk about engine outs was concerning to them, but you could also see that because we discussed this plan at every stage of flight it relaxed them. It really did calm them down knowing the people in control that they were planing ahead.

How we did it.

Tony

FunInAviation
01-31-2018, 04:39 AM
Excellent video! Keep em' coming!

Smitty

Ryan Dembroski
01-31-2018, 12:24 PM
Ryan - nice job! You did, in fact, shave the legs on this one!

Thanks Hal! Appreciate you watching! Next time I'm flying into an uncontrolled field maybe I'll add it into the radio call. "7MA Short Final 29, Gonna shave the legs on this one"

Ryan Dembroski
01-31-2018, 12:26 PM
Good video Ryan, but the still picture of you is zombie like. That look reminds me of the guys in WOLF OF WALL STREET when they take a little Qualudes and then decide it must not be working so they take two more doses. Hey, who needs to walk if you can crawl. But one question, what did you mean by "three in the green" when you are in a fixed gear plane and on the takeoff roll, never heard that one?

Hey Bill! Floatsflyer is right - oil temp, pressure, and suction (though our plane doesn't have a vacuum system anymore, so I guess Fuel Flow?). I've received that feedback a bunch and I agree it's a little weird, was just how I was trained by one of my instructors. Definitely might be a habit to break when I move up to more complex aircraft.

Bill Greenwood
01-31-2018, 01:02 PM
Ryan, others may have their own way, but far as I know "three green or three in the green" normally means 3 gear down for landing. I'd prefer to look at oil temp and pressure, suction at run up, to know if its right before takeoff roll and I would mostly look out at the runway when I started takeoff. In some planes, tailwheeel for instance, I prefer not to look down to the panel except perhaps brief power and airspeed check. As for suction,again if there is a need for gyros like night or imc, I'd want to verify it before takeoff run.Fuel flow might be one to look at, maybe.
Did you switch seats so the other lady go to fly the 2nd leg? And a suggestion, if you are going to move to complex, start now using gear down as part of your landing check., may even simulate moving the lever.

Ryan Dembroski
01-31-2018, 03:37 PM
This was a second check that was taught to me by my instructors, so you check those things at run up and then glance at them again at full power to make sure you don't have a problem before you're airborne. That makes sense to me BUT the callout of '3 in the green' does contradict with the gear down standard.

Other lady (her name is Cassidy) is due up in the next episode, she wasn't keen on actually flying really BUT did enjoy the flight.
Lynne from this episode is interested in taking some lessons I think, I'm trying to be a bad (good) influence.

Floatsflyer
01-31-2018, 06:39 PM
Ryan, your video title has caught my eye and imagination: "MY FIRST TIME WITH TWO WOMEN"

Next time lose the plane and post the video.

Ryan Dembroski
02-01-2018, 10:46 AM
Gotta have that click bait headline!

Floatsflyer
02-01-2018, 01:12 PM
Gotta have that click bait headline!

Agreed! Gotta sell the sizzle, not the steak.