PDA

View Full Version : Noob to AirVenture

waltermitty
01-16-2018, 06:14 AM
Quick question. Got my ticket bought for the week. Plan to camp with the airplane, '67 KCAB Citabria, in vintage airplane parking. Do I need to purchase camping separately?

Auburntsts
01-16-2018, 06:59 AM
Quick question. Got my ticket bought for the week. Plan to camp with the airplane, '67 KCAB Citabria, in vintage airplane parking. Do I need to purchase camping separately?

Yes, but you do it after you arrive. You can’t prepurchase airplane camping.

FlyingRon
01-16-2018, 07:10 AM
Auburntsts is correct. Frankly, you didn't even need to prepurchase the admission either. You could have just as easily gotten all that stuff at the window when you registered the plane. Read the NOTAM and have your "VAC" (what you want is Vintage Airplane Camping, not Parking which implies in Oshkosh-speak that you don't want to camp with the plane). We'll see you when you get there.

waltermitty
01-16-2018, 07:50 AM
I'm bringing a folding bicycle (Montague Paratrooper). What's the story on using bicycles?

CHICAGORANDY
01-16-2018, 08:13 AM
AFAIK, bikes are not allowed on the grounds. There is a separate bike park area near the south pedestrian gate near the exhibit hangars.

https://www.eaa.org/en/airventure/about-eaa-airventure-oshkosh/policies/prohibited-items

FlyingRon
01-16-2018, 01:46 PM
I've never had a problem WALKING a bike out from the Vintage area, but you'll probably find it difficult to bring it back in and will have to leave it at the bike corral ChicagoRandy mentions. This isn't actually all that far from the Vintage area. When it's time for you to depart we can probably wrangle it so you can walk it back to your plane. As Randy mentions, riding bikes starting Sunday before the show until it closes the following Sunday is absolutely forbidden "inside the gates."

streffpilot
01-18-2018, 11:01 AM
As Randy mentions, riding bikes starting Sunday before the show until it closes the following Sunday is absolutely forbidden "inside the gates."

But careful, you can be run over by one of the millions of gulf carts being driven by the elitists, but you better not ride your bike, you peasant!

Floatsflyer
01-18-2018, 11:55 AM
But careful, you can be run over by one of the millions of gulf carts being driven by the elitists, but you better not ride your bike, you peasant!

I've been waiting for this. Hi neighbour. Can you say hypocrytical? Can you say class conciousness? Sure you can. Will you be mine, will you be mine.

streffpilot
01-18-2018, 12:01 PM
I've been waiting for this. Hi neighbour. Can you say hypocrytical? Can you say class conciousness? Sure you can. Will you be mine, will you be mine.

I am only pointing out that if you have X status you get X privilege.....no X status no X privilege.....

its just the way it is. i'm not being hypocritical.

Floatsflyer
01-18-2018, 12:44 PM
I am only pointing out that if you have X status you get X privilege.....no X status no X privilege.....

its just the way it is. i'm not being hypocritical.

You have misinterpreted my response. I am in full agreement with your comments and your pointed observation. It is correct and indisputable. You are NOT hypocrytical, EAA's policy IS hypocrytical. They are talking out of both sides of their mouth.

streffpilot
01-18-2018, 01:04 PM
You have misinterpreted my response. I am in full agreement with your comments and your pointed observation. It is correct and indisputable. You are NOT hypocrytical, EAA's policy IS hypocrytical. They are talking out of both sides of their mouth.

AAAAAH........makes more sense now.....

My personal opinion is that I wouldn't mind the golf carts like before 8:00 and lets say after 6:00 pm, but not when the rest of us are trying to walk around or catch a "tram" I understand that sometimes products need to move around, but seeing some 18 Year old driving a cart just because they have a special wrist band or necklaces makes no sense to me.

DaleB
01-18-2018, 02:06 PM
The first time I went to Oshkosh, my wife and I spend 3 days dodging golf carts driven as if they had the right-of-way everywhere, and it was really annoying. The next year it was MUCH better. Last year, mixed bag but I only had to play dodge-em around the exhibit hangars.

streffpilot
01-18-2018, 05:41 PM
'17 was the first year we camped there for a few days.....I can understand the traffic in camp Scholer, but being inside the fence and STILL having to dodge the bumper cars was VERY annoying. Probably my only gripe about my time there......except for kids who wouldn't listen, but that is my own problem.....

FlyingRon
01-18-2018, 10:08 PM
I'll have to tell you it is a whole lot better than it was. It used to be that every mickey mouse vendor got a car pass and would drive their vehicles through the crowds during the show. The EAA finally got (after I suggested it for years) professional and made people use the expo service company to move freight and restricted the movement during the "open" hours.

Even the golf cart traffic is much more restricted than it used to be. On the other hand, I've gotten rides from some of the VIPs like Hal Sheevers and some of the chairs that I didn't know when I was hoofing from the North 40 back down to vintage.

So, as far as the social inequity of it, you're out of luck the EAA doesn't care. If you see a cart being operated unsafely, talk to security. I've generally found they have no problem being a hardass to anybody no matter what their status.

But if you think the carts are bad, imagine what it would be like if they allowed everyone to have bikes and skateboards and the like.

dougbush
01-19-2018, 01:56 AM
But if you think the carts are bad, imagine what it would be like if they allowed everyone to have bikes and skateboards and the like.
I imagine it would be much more enjoyable, because attendees would waste so much less time and effort traveling across the vast grounds, and there would be more availability of tram seats for those who need them, and it would be much safer because cyclists have to avoid pedestrians for their own safety.

waltermitty
01-19-2018, 06:31 AM
I want the bike so that I can get into town or maybe see local attractions. It opens up everything in 5 - 10 mile radius.

I am in the market for RV-4. I want to look at lots of RV-4s while I'm there and maybe even buy one. Any tips?

Jeff Point
01-19-2018, 07:01 AM
I imagine it would be much more enjoyable, because attendees would waste so much less time and effort traveling across the vast grounds, and there would be more availability of tram seats for those who need them, and it would be much safer because cyclists have to avoid pedestrians for their own safety.
You have a pretty good imagination, Doug:)

CHICAGORANDY
01-19-2018, 08:09 AM
If you are parking/camping in Vintage it's only a couple blocks walk over to the bicycle parking area, so that remains an option for going off site. To dougbush - I'm a long time tram conductor - I am certain that adding bicycles to the throngs of pedestrians and vehicles already totally clogging the streets and walkways would be chaos and likely result in frequent injuries. The reality of the place is that on the show grounds there is no place to 'avoid' pedestrians for safety if on a bike.

streffpilot
01-19-2018, 07:25 PM
The reality of the place is that on the show grounds there is no place to 'avoid' pedestrians for safety if on a bike.

Which is even more applicable to the dang golf carts........would LOVE a daytime moratorium on their use.....I personally would like to see tram/shuttle as the only wheeled transportation on the grounds during the day.

baflyboy2
01-19-2018, 08:10 PM
Not to beat this change of topic too long, but I am a volunteer, stay in the camp grounds, and ride a bike. Airventure grounds need to be redesigned to allow more bike corrals outside various gate locations to give easier access with less walking. Bikes should continue to be treated like cars, just more convenient parking locations. As for carts, the traffic is better, but the most improvement will come when some express routes for carts-only are designed inside the fenced grounds. That will greatly reduce the mingling of carts with pedestrians, but not eliminate it. I have been told that long range plans will address this. Carts are productive for volunteers, vendors and deliveries, so I don't see it being possible to totally eliminate them. And I agree that EAA staff is extremely good at giving rides to anyone in need.

dougbush
01-20-2018, 01:50 AM
The reality of the place is that on the show grounds there is no place to 'avoid' pedestrians for safety if on a bike.
Randy! People ride bikes in downtown Chicago all the time! Cyclists successfully avoid pedestrians in the North 40 and Scholler and everywhere bikes are allowed. You can avoid pedestrians easier on a bike than on a scooter or golf cart or Volkswagen or tram.

I don’t expect EAA will let bikes in most of the showgrounds, but it would be nice if they’d open up more of the roads on the west side (inside the fence) for bicycles.

CHICAGORANDY
01-20-2018, 06:05 AM
Doug, our Mayor has gone out of his way and into our wallets to create miles and miles of painted bike lanes on the ROADS in Chicago, the Loop pedestrians by and large are on the sidewalks where bikes are NOT allowed. Not the situation at AirVenture where everyone and every vehicle is trying to occupy the same space on the streets. I reckon we'll just have to agree to disagree.

robert l
01-20-2018, 09:17 PM
Well, I'll say one thing about the golf carts. In 2011, my buddy and I were walking to the camp store on the last day of A/V and I know we looked worn out from the miles and miles of walking, (the walking, my God, the walking !) anyway, a cart pulled up and the driver ask if we wanted a ride. Being the smart ass that I can be, I almost said, Duh, ya think, but I didn't, and we had a most wonder conversation with none other than Paul, the man himself. Ended up getting a letter and autographed picture in the mail. That made the whole trip worth while.
Bob

dougbush
01-21-2018, 01:38 AM
Doug, our Mayor has gone out of his way and into our wallets to create miles and miles of painted bike lanes on the ROADS in Chicago, the Loop pedestrians by and large are on the sidewalks where bikes are NOT allowed. Not the situation at AirVenture where everyone and every vehicle is trying to occupy the same space on the streets. I reckon we'll just have to agree to disagree.
Randy, you must surely know that pedestrians in Chicago walk across the roads and bike lanes, and the cyclists and drivers yield to them according to traffic laws that work exactly the same in Oshkosh.

CHICAGORANDY
01-21-2018, 07:00 AM
Like purt near every driver in Chicago.... I hate bicycles and their riders who actually often do NOT follow traffic laws.....and their stupid foam helmets too! - lol

I yield to EAA AirVenture management as being the decision makers on what is and what isn't a 'good' idea for the convention. To date that means restrictions that are clearly posted on the website. I have no doubt they are open to being convinced otherwise.....or not.