PDA

View Full Version : 3rd Class Medical

robert l
12-22-2017, 11:59 AM
Well, I got my clearance from my regular Dr. and my Cardiologist to have my knee replacement surgery, that’s a load off. I was a little worried about the stress test, I haven’t done a treadmill test in about 10 or 12 years, just the Nuclear ones. Even with the bad knee, bone on bone and the good, ha ha, knee, plus a severe sprained foot I did pretty good. Two days later I’m back in the Dr. office to get the results and everything looked good he said. If I’m not mistaken, the stress test is good for 6 mos. as far as the 3rd class medical goes. Of course, I was almost wrong once before, but that was a long time ago. So, if that’s the case, I may be able to get my physical before I have surgery on the 23rd of Jan. and after I recover enough to get in an airplane again I can do my flight review. Oh yeah, then there’s that thing about being blind in one eye, oh well, we’ll see what happens.
Bob

gbrasch
12-22-2017, 01:14 PM
Best of luck to you this holiday season!

Bill Greenwood
12-23-2017, 12:08 PM
That stress test is really important in case you fly a very long airplane where you may be jogging in the ailse. I wonder how Sir Douglas Bader did on his treadmill test?

rwanttaja
12-23-2017, 01:49 PM
That stress test is really important in case you fly a very long airplane where you may be jogging in the ailse. I wonder how Sir Douglas Bader did on his treadmill test?
On the left side, undoubtedly.......

Ron "And the gearshift's on the other side, too" Wanttaja

robert l
12-23-2017, 04:56 PM

If he took off his wooden leg, he would have looked like Lowly Worm !!!

robert l
01-09-2018, 07:44 PM
Had a consultation with the Aeromed Dr. today, took the paper work he requested and after looking it over, he wanted more paper work. Ok, that's not a problem, I can get that, well, my wife handles all our paper work so she'll get it. I could probably get it to him next week but my wife is leaving for Colorado tomorrow and won't be back for 8 days. Just in time to throw her mom an 80th birthday party and a few days before my knee replacement surgery. Thank God she isn't old like me, gotta love that woman ! Crap, forgot to tell the Dr. I'm blind in one eye, maybe I can fake it on the eye exam! LOL
Bob

robert l
02-13-2018, 05:49 PM
Got the rest of the paper work the Aeromed Dr. requested but I'm holding off on another appointment until I get off these pain meds to make sure I pass the drug test. Today is 3 weeks since my knee replacement surgery and so far it all looks good. I figure another month and all drugs should be out of my system.
Bob

martymayes
02-14-2018, 08:44 AM
I’ve never gotten a drug test in conjunction with an FAA medical. Got plenty of them at work tho.....

robert l
02-14-2018, 09:41 AM
I’ve never gotten a drug test in conjunction with an FAA medical. Got plenty of them at work tho.....

Marty, I used to work a lot of Nuke jobs, 2 or 3 outages a year and would always take an initial drug screen for pre employment and usually 2 or 3 random test while the job was going on. Also, a complete background check each time. As far as the FAA drug screen, I'm going to the same Dr. as my flying buddy and he said he had the drug screen on his last physical so I just want to be on the safe side.
Bob

martymayes
02-14-2018, 11:27 AM
As far as the FAA drug screen, I'm going to the same Dr. as my flying buddy and he said he had the drug screen on his last physical so I just want to be on the safe side.
He may have pee’d in a cup but there was no test for illicit drugs. That was for something else. Drug screen is not part of an FAA medical

Sam Buchanan
02-14-2018, 12:39 PM
He may have pee’d in a cup but there was no test for illicit drugs. That was for something else. Drug screen is not part of an FAA medical

The urine sample is a check for diabetes.

martymayes
02-14-2018, 12:48 PM
The urine sample is a check for diabetes.

Correct, one test is to see if sugar is spilling over into your urine

robert l
02-14-2018, 02:49 PM
What about the drugs on the "No Fly" list ?
Bob

Sam Buchanan
02-14-2018, 04:13 PM
Bob

When you sign the examination form you are stating that you have truthfully disclosed to the AME all medications in use. Determination of whether or not medications are disqualifying will be made by either the AME or Oklahoma City.

Have you had a Class Three certificate in the past ten years? Are you familiar with BasicMed?

martymayes
02-15-2018, 12:36 AM
Bob

If you take meds that are not allowed by the FAA, you are required to ground yourself until you are off those meds.

Here is the reg:

§61.53 Prohibition on operations during medical deficiency.

(a) Operations that require a medical certificate. Except as provided for in paragraph (b) of this section, no person who holds a medical certificate issued under part 67 of this chapter may act as pilot in command, or in any other capacity as a required pilot flight crewmember, while that person:

(1) Knows or has reason to know of any medical condition that would make the person unable to meet the requirements for the medical certificate necessary for the pilot operation; or

(2) Is taking medication or receiving other treatment for a medical condition that results in the person being unable to meet the requirements for the medical certificate necessary for the pilot operation.

robert l
02-15-2018, 09:02 AM

What about the drugs on the "No Fly" list Or, as the FAA list them, the DNI, Do Not Issue and the DNF, Do Not Fly list !
Bob

martymayes
02-15-2018, 09:37 AM
What about the drugs on the "No Fly" list Or, as the FAA list them, the DNI, Do Not Issue and the DNF, Do Not Fly list !
Bob

Bob, if you are applying for a medical certificate, MedXPress Form 8500-8, Box 17a requires that you disclose every medication you are taking whether it's prescribed, over the counter or something purchased from a shady guy on in the alley. If you are regularly taking 20 meds, even non-prescription, you have to list every single one, the dosage and frequency.

The AME reviews those meds on your application and if any are on the DNI list, he asks questions (and may defer issuance until those issues are resolved). They do not actually perform a test to determine what kind of drugs are in your system, they find that out about your drug use by what you disclose on the application.

In fact, the FAA is not even involved with drug testing. That is the Department of Transportation or DOT. A DOT drug test for aviation has very strict protocols that must be followed, one being they have to tell you they are administering a DOT drug test and you have to sign your name agreeing to it. They have to watch you actually do the deed and other personally invasive things. All for politics.

robert l
02-16-2018, 08:22 PM

What about the "No Fly" drugs, or as the FAA says, DNI, Do Not Issue and the DNF, Do Not Fly drugs ?
Bob

robert l
02-16-2018, 08:59 PM
Thanks guys, sorry for the multiple post, something strange is going on with my computer. I sign in and get the standard page and when I select a forum topic, the screen comes up saying I must sign in. Very annoying !
Bob