PDA

View Full Version : JetBlue Turns Pilot Recruitment on it's Head.

Floatsflyer
09-07-2017, 10:42 AM
First off, this is not a joke or fake news even though it sounds like it should be. This is from a Bloomberg report out of Dallas I read in the paper this morning.

JetBlue is accepting applications for new pilots for it's own 4 year program to train pilots with absolutely no prior flying experience(yes Virginia, you can read that again). This is the second such program that has been instituted by JetBlue. They are looking for more supermarket clerks and accountants to train to fly its planes because of a looming pilot shortage. To me this is all pretty revolutionary and radical although JB says their model is borrowed from training regimens used by some military and some airlines in Asia and Europe.

JB says this first of its kind program has been so successful for them that they are now seeking a second round of candidates. YOU can apply online. But here's the catch. It costs $125K and you pay for it. JB will help you find financing which JB admits is proving difficult.

This unconventional program began last year with 24 candidates selected for flight training from 1500 applications. Six of these are now training to be flight instructors. Initial candidates included a baggage handler, a grocery store clerk, a heavy equipment operator and an accountant. These 6 will be used to attract and recruit new pilot candidates. 19 of the 24 originals are still in training. In addition to ground school and sims, candidates will build 1500 hours of flying experience before they are hired by JB.

Geez!, I hope my friends and relatives don't read this article. For 44 years, they've believed that to be a pilot and fly a plane one needs supernatural powers. The gig is up!

DaleB
09-07-2017, 11:05 AM
Rest easy, Floats. I'd say someone working at a low wage job coming up with $125K to pay for training to possibly have a new job would almost qualify as a supernatural power.