PDA

View Full Version : Building you own hangar

llacy
11-14-2011, 08:47 PM
I want to use 2 8x18 ft overhead garage doors for my hangar. I have seen retractable post you can use for the center post but can't find out any info about how to build a hinge to rotate the post out of the way. Any help or iedas would be appreciated.
Lou Lacy
loulacy@gmail.com

oowiee
11-15-2011, 06:36 PM
Not sure there is a right or wrong answer. You just want one that works! I used to be a commercial builder and have fabricated them with 6x6 wood post and with I beams also. We always just welded large hinges or used lag bolts in the wood. A simple way would be to use a pulley system or electric opener hooked to the post to pull it up and out of the way. Make sure your header will withstand the load on that span. Hope this helps a bit.

Wilfred
11-16-2011, 10:53 AM
Lou, I sent you photos of my hangar neighbor's garage doors used for his hangar. If you need more info let me know.

John

CraigCantwell
11-16-2011, 11:43 AM
Lou: Don't forget that an 8' sectional garage style door will only give you a usable door opening of a little over 7'. I've got a 7' door on my garage and the usable opening is 6' 3" without the opener mechanisims. A solid slab type pivoting door will have even less room. It's not a problem if you have an a/c that is not very tall on the gear. It wouldn't be very fun to find out after it's framed that your a/c won't fit.

Craig

llacy
11-17-2011, 08:32 AM
Craig thanks for the info. I already have one hangar with 8ft x 18ft doors (2) and the thing I am trying to do is make a convient removeable post in the center.
Lou

Windsock
11-17-2011, 08:50 AM
Lou,
I sent you some pics of a bi-fold design that I built that spans 40' Works great, Cheap, and easy to build..

FlyingRon
11-17-2011, 03:18 PM
Eh? What's keeping your door from clearing the opening? I've got a bifold door on the hanger (which has a couple of feet of wasted opening) but my sectional garage doors go up out of the way just fine. I do have the wallmount openers that turn the jackshaft.

rv8bldr
11-18-2011, 09:04 AM
Lou,
I sent you some pics of a bi-fold design that I built that spans 40' Works great, Cheap, and easy to build..

I don't suppose I could get a copy of those too, could I? Although I can't keep my RV-8 at my home strip, I will be keeping my Bearhawk when it's done so I might as well start planning my hangar too :-)

Cheers

martymayes
11-18-2011, 01:17 PM
I want to use 2 8x18 ft overhead garage doors for my hangar. I have seen retractable post you can use for the center post but can't find out any info about how to build a hinge to rotate the post out of the way. Any help or iedas would be appreciated.
Lou Lacy
loulacy@gmail.com

Lou, EAA Chapter 244 use to have a hangar/clubhouse with doors exactly as you describe. Two overhead doors with a removable center post/door tracks. I don't recall the details but the removable post/track section attached/latched to a section overhead then clamped to a fixture on the floor. It was all homemade and while it didn't' require any tools, there was the physical effort of handling the center piece each time both doors were opened.

Worked great for many years but was no match for hurricane Gustav. High winds blew the doors in and wrecked the hangar. Google EAA Chapter 244 for "after" pics.