PDA

View Full Version : Old Spruce? Okay... not THAT old... (Hatz CB-1)

wallda
07-05-2017, 07:21 AM
Good Morning,

I recently was given a Hatz CB-1 Project which was started in the mid 1980's. The previous builder was working on the wing ribs and has nearly every piece cut out to size. In addition there is a shipping box from Aircraft Spruce with all of the required cap strip material. I completely understand that we have old wooden airplanes which are still flying. My question is, is there any concern with using this wood? Or a better question, is there anything I should watch out for or look for when I go to build my ribs?

The wood is visually in wonderful shape and from what I was told, was stored in his hanger with this other aircraft.

I should also ask, the plans I have were purchased in 1983. I am wondering if there were any significant revisions in the last 30 years?

Daniel

cub builder
07-08-2017, 06:29 PM
If the wood is in good visual condition with no dry rot, mold, or visible damage, I wouldn't hesitate to use it. Wood only drys to ambient humidity. Move to a dryer climate and it shrinks a bit as it dries. Move to a humid climate and it grows again. Age doesn't hurt the wood.

-Cub Builder

wallda
07-09-2017, 06:27 PM
If the wood is in good visual condition with no dry rot, mold, or visible damage, I wouldn't hesitate to use it. Wood only drys to ambient humidity. Move to a dryer climate and it shrinks a bit as it dries. Move to a humid climate and it grows again. Age doesn't hurt the wood.

-Cub Builder

Thank you very much. I hope to take a builders class at Airventure.

mmarien
07-10-2017, 10:39 AM
Congratulations on the new build. The CB-1 was just one version of the Hatz. There is a lot of information about the Hatz on this forum: http://www.hatzbiplane.com/phpBB/index.php