PDA

View Full Version : Earliest date you can start Aircraft Camping?

Auburntsts
06-27-2017, 05:47 PM
What's the earliest date you can begin aircraft camping at OSH in HBC and in North 40?

Wrongway Feldman
06-29-2017, 12:48 PM
I found out that the earliest you can begin Aircraft camping at Oshkosh is when the NOTAM (https://www.eaa.org/~/media/files/airventure/flyingin/2017-airventure-notam-final-%2003-29-17.pdf) takes affect.
Which is on July 21, 2017 at 6:00 a.m. CDT
But if you show up on July 20, 2017 the day before, they may let it slide and let you Aircraft camp.
If you show up before July 20, 2017 you will be sent to the FBO (fixed-base operator) and you will not be able to Aircraft camp.

From the horses mouth, :)

That was a good question and to my knowledge was never asked.

FIY, Camp Scholler (https://www.eaa.org/en/airventure/plan-your-eaa-airventure-trip/eaa-camping-information/camp-scholler) opens on June 30 at 7 a.m. CDT Tomorrow

Auburntsts
06-29-2017, 12:58 PM
I found out that the earliest you can begin Aircraft camping at Oshkosh is when the NOTAM (https://www.eaa.org/~/media/files/airventure/flyingin/2017-airventure-notam-final-%2003-29-17.pdf) takes affect.
Which is on July 21, 2017 at 6:00 a.m. CDT
But if you show up on July 20, 2017 the day before, they may let it slide and let you Aircraft camp.
If you show up before July 20, 2017 you will be sent to the FBO (fixed-base operator) and you will not be able to Aircraft camp.

From the horses mouth, :)

That was a good question and to my knowledge was never asked.

FIY, Camp Scholler (https://www.eaa.org/en/airventure/plan-your-eaa-airventure-trip/eaa-camping-information/camp-scholler) opens on June 30 at 7 a.m. CDT Tomorrow

I got a different answer over on VAF from the guys (whom I trust) who help run the parking: You can come in earlier than Friday but if you come in before Saturday the 22nd you have to be self-sufficient as nothing is open and there's no transportation. They prefer you not to come in early unless you are there to volunteer or have some type of AirVenture business reason to be there. The marshaling early arrival crew gets there the weekend before and will start having rows setup by Wednesday.

Cary
06-29-2017, 04:01 PM
I've arrived on the Friday before the last two years, and already there were 14-15 rows parked in the North 40, folks set up, and things starting to happen. I frankly didn't check either year to see if the North 40 Cafe was open, because my normal process the first evening is to tie down the airplane, set up the tent, and head for Friar Tuck's for dinner.

Cary

krw920
06-30-2017, 08:10 AM
I know a guy in Vintage that is there a week before the show starts.

Jeff Point
06-30-2017, 11:21 AM
I got a different answer over on VAF from the guys (whom I trust) who help run the parking:

You gotta watch those guys on VAF, not all of them are trustworthy.

In all seriousness, the answer I gave was specifically directed at HBP as that was the topic. N40 does do things a little differently, although they are certainly set up for early arrivals by mid-week before opening weekend. I usually get there Wednesday and there are a few early birds already in N40.

FlyingRon
06-30-2017, 09:16 PM
You can definitely camp before the NOTAM is in effect. I typically always arrive two days before the NOTAM turns on people are already camped/parked. The problem is a lot of the facilities aren't quite up to speed at that point but at least in the North 40 you're closer to the off-site stuff nearby. Down in Vintage, it's a long hike, but they opened up the "Tall Pines Cafe" to cater to early arrivals (and there's some stuff like Vicki's lunch wagon off the field now).

Note, as with Scholler and the other aircraft camping areas, you pay from the day you arrive through the end of the show, even if they don't provide portalets for the entire duration.

Cary
07-01-2017, 09:58 PM
You can definitely camp before the NOTAM is in effect. I typically always arrive two days before the NOTAM turns on people are already camped/parked. The problem is a lot of the facilities aren't quite up to speed at that point but at least in the North 40 you're closer to the off-site stuff nearby. Down in Vintage, it's a long hike, but they opened up the "Tall Pines Cafe" to cater to early arrivals (and there's some stuff like Vicki's lunch wagon off the field now).

Note, as with Scholler and the other aircraft camping areas, you pay from the day you arrive through the end of the show, even if they don't provide portalets for the entire duration.

I don't know about Scholler, but when I register at aircraft camping, I just register for "the whole week"--so there's no extra days added on.

Cary

Auburntsts
07-02-2017, 07:56 AM
I don't know about Scholler, but when I register at aircraft camping, I just register for "the whole week"--so there's no extra days added on.

Cary

Camping payment is the same for all camping areas. You for pay from the day you arrive through the end of AirVenture--3 day minimum. After that you get a refund for any unused days. So if you start camping today you'll get charged for 28 days if you stayed until the 30th ($756).

provoshane
07-10-2017, 06:55 PM
I am flying an Experimental into KOSH. Do I want to/have to park at the North 40 for aircraft camping? If so and if I arrive on Thursday the 20th, will I have any control over where they park me? I am wondering if its better to be closer to the bathrooms or farther away...LOL. Wife will definitely need to make a trip in the middle of the night sometimes. Any other tips are appreciated.

Shane Mitchell
Pipistrel Virus SW Motorglider
N667Z

FlyingRon
07-11-2017, 03:07 PM
If it is an "amateur built" experimental, you can camp with the other homebuilts. Hold up a sign that says "HBC" on arrival. North 40 is the nickname for the general aviation camping (GAC) and parking area (not withstanding the green acres overflow area).

Auburntsts
07-11-2017, 04:09 PM
I am flying an Experimental into KOSH. Do I want to/have to park at the North 40 for aircraft camping? If so and if I arrive on Thursday the 20th, will I have any control over where they park me? I am wondering if its better to be closer to the bathrooms or farther away...LOL. Wife will definitely need to make a trip in the middle of the night sometimes. Any other tips are appreciated.

Shane Mitchell
Pipistrel Virus SW Motorglider

N667Z

To piggyback on what Ron said, with an E-AB aircraft you have a choice -- you can camp in either HBC or GAC (aka North 40 and South 40) by holding up the applicable sign when you taxi in IAW the NOTAM. Many E-AB choose North/South 40 because they want to camp near their friends who flew in via standard certificated aircraft.

CHICAGORANDY
07-11-2017, 04:20 PM
Regarding late night bio break needs... there's always those ultra lightweight camper bag commodes?

This: https://www.amazon.com/Stansport-4B-Portable-Folding-Toilet/dp/B000K6HN22/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1499811705&sr=8-4&keywords=camping+toilet

or even this? https://www.amazon.com/Female-Urination-Device-Portable-Camping/dp/B01LXSGRBA/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1499811357&sr=8-1-spons&keywords=camping+toilet&psc=1

can be used with this? https://www.amazon.com/Ounce-Deluxe-Urinal-Incontinence-Bottle/dp/B00CYSHWNY/ref=sr_1_1_s_it?s=hpc&ie=UTF8&qid=1499811504&sr=1-1&keywords=urinals+for+men

Just sayin' - at my age I've given a lot of thought to the subject - LOL - and if it's raining cats & dogs (and it sometimes does at AirVenture) it might be nice to stay inside the tent or camper.

FlyingRon
07-11-2017, 06:36 PM
My wife got a toilet at Cabelas which is little more than a five gallon bucket with a seat on it and some absorbant filled bags. Me, I just stair at the radar in my phone and time my run to the gray box.

We won't take homebuilts (unless they are very old) in Vintage. It used to be we had all the homebuilt camping but Homebuilt (or Custom as it tends to get called) got their own dedicated camping area carved out many years ago.