PDA

View Full Version : Ice Sales

Bill Berson
06-26-2017, 11:31 AM
I noticed the ice sales symbol on the Airventure 2017 map at both ends of Ultralight runway and other locations.
Great idea!
What is it? Cup of ice or bagged ice? Price?6432

CivEngPE
06-26-2017, 01:45 PM
Where did you get this map? The one on the website is still from 2016...

Bill Berson
06-26-2017, 03:32 PM
I got it today from the Airventure website (plan your trip). And yes it is now showing 2016!
So what were they selling last year? 10 pound bags of ice? Or anything smaller?

robert l
06-26-2017, 04:20 PM
I never even noticed last year, we just got ours at the camp store. 10 lb. bags I think.
Bob

skyfixer8
06-27-2017, 06:44 AM
Airventure 2017 map is at following .......https://www.eaa.org/~/media/files/airventure/about/6-8-17-av17-transportation-map.pdf

Bill Berson
06-27-2017, 08:39 AM
That is a shuttle map. The main map has more details. (Forum stage numbers, water fountains, etc.)

FlyingRon
06-27-2017, 09:31 AM
They've added additional camp stores this year and all will have ice. Vintage sold ice out the back of the operations building and also had a gator with an ice locker on it but I don't know if they're going to keep that up in the light of the new stores.

Bill Berson
06-27-2017, 09:45 AM
I was hoping to buy 2 pounds of ice to carry in a light thermos bottle or pouch for the day.

Mike M
06-28-2017, 03:17 PM
I was hoping to buy 2 pounds of ice to carry in a light thermos bottle or pouch for the day.

(pssst... buy a 10lb bag of cubes for $X, stand right there, put 2lb in your cooler and the rest into 2lb baggies, sell them each for $1/3X and walk away a cool customer.) ;)

Bill Berson
06-28-2017, 04:53 PM
Would need a health permit, business license, vendor lease....
Easier to dump the excess on the ground.

I suppose 10 pounds in a backpack might work.
Didnt want to carry that much in the hot sun.

sr2500
06-29-2017, 05:29 AM
Ice is $2 per bag everywhere on site (was last year). They standardized it several years ago and its readily available. There are even ice carts that drive around with it for sale.

Bill Berson
06-29-2017, 09:00 AM
Ice is $2 per bag everywhere on site (was last year). They standardized it several years ago and its readily available. There are even ice carts that drive around with it for sale.

At least some changes, thank you.
But still misses the point I am making. Suppose while walking around I spot a cart, what do I do with 10 pounds of ice from an ice cart? Carry it back to my car?
They need to have carts or sites to fill my 32 oz water drink cup with ice.

robert l
06-29-2017, 03:10 PM
Bill, why not just buy a bottle of cold water from one of the many places selling water? Or, you could get a hydration back pack, National Parks Depot has one that holds 2.5 L for only $18.00 !
Bob

Cary
06-29-2017, 03:55 PM
Ice water is nice, but hardly a necessity--it's the water, not the ice, that you need to prevent dehydration. But if you must insist on cold water, the way I do it is take ice out of my cooler and put it in my vacuum bottle when I'm ready to leave the airplane, fill the bottle the rest of the way with water, and it's good for several hours.

On the other hand, a cold lemonade from a vendor is pretty wonderful, too!

Cary

Bill Berson
06-29-2017, 04:53 PM
It might sound like I am overly preoccupied about ice. The thing is I live on the west coast about 200' from the 50° ocean.
It never gets above 60° here so I can't get heat acclimated for Oshkosh (takes 10 days)
If the Oshkosh temp is forecast much above 90°, I have to decide if the trip is worth it.
I was thinking about a hat or shoulder suit packed with a bit of ice. My friend said he had seen something like that, a leaching cooler or something. But nothing around here like that. Any ideas?

edit, I found all kinds of vests here. Anyone use these? http://www.mycoolingstore.com/cooling-vests.html?gclid=CKK0w5mV5NQCFdKEfgodBXYMfA

dclaxon
06-29-2017, 06:20 PM
I suppose 10 pounds in a backpack might work.
Didnt want to carry that much in the hot sun.

The good thing about ice is, you won't have to worry about carrying it for very long in the OSH weather.
Dave

Cary
06-29-2017, 06:45 PM
I never heard of having to acclimate to a warmer climate before. To a different altitude, because of oxygen acclimation, yes, but never because of temperature. Never too old to learn, I guess.

Cary

Bill Berson
06-29-2017, 07:06 PM
Heat illness varies with individuals and old age, etc.
I already know I am susceptible from a visit to a California airshow. Feel sick, weak, low blood pressure.
Here is a quick link for acclimating. I couldn't find the full doctors report I read last week.
https://www.osha.gov/SLTC/heatillness/heat_index/acclimatizing_workers.html

CarlOrton
06-29-2017, 08:53 PM
Bill, not poking at you, but your story reminded me of the first time my wife accompanied me to Convention in 2008. We were waiting for the bus back to the dorms and it was a relatively mild day for Oshkosh. About 78-80. This gent comes up to us just sweatin' like a pig. He was amazed that we weren't overcome by the unbearable heat.

Turns out he was from Canada and apparently the cooler part of Canada.

We're from DFW, so 95 is a welcome respite from *our* summer temps, let alone it being in the 50's in the AM. We view our trip to Oshkosh as a climate escape!

Bill Berson
06-29-2017, 09:32 PM
I'll be at the Arlington show next week. It's usually either 50° or 90°. :eek:

scuba72
07-02-2017, 01:25 PM
I never heard of having to acclimate to a warmer climate before. To a different altitude, because of oxygen acclimation, yes, but never because of temperature. Never too old to learn, I guess.

When I was stationed in the Philippines, we went to Korea every March for an exercise. It might get up to 50-60 degrees and the ones stationed in Korea would be in T-Shirts while us stationed in the Philippines would have on parka's.

dougbush
07-03-2017, 12:32 AM
It might sound like I am overly preoccupied about ice. The thing is I live on the west coast about 200' from the 50° ocean.
It never gets above 60° here so I can't get heat acclimated for Oshkosh (takes 10 days)
If the Oshkosh temp is forecast much above 90°, I have to decide if the trip is worth it.
I was thinking about a hat or shoulder suit packed with a bit of ice. My friend said he had seen something like that, a leaching cooler or something. But nothing around here like that. Any ideas?

edit, I found all kinds of vests here. Anyone use these? http://www.mycoolingstore.com/cooling-vests.html?gclid=CKK0w5mV5NQCFdKEfgodBXYMfA
I think a better strategy is to minimize interference with your body's natural cooling system by wearing clothes that let your perspiration evaporate, like loose cotton mesh, and don't cover more than modesty requires. You can find extra breeze at the corner of a building. Equally important is to avoid taking on excess heat. Take your own shade in the form of a wide-brimmed hat with mesh top. Wear light colors and shoes with mesh uppers, or even better, sandals. Don't linger in the sun, but walk from shade to shade. You can get insulated bottles of any size to fill with ice from your cooler. Check the hourly forecast, and make the most of the cooler/cloudier parts of the day. Visit the EAA museum on the hottest afternoon.

Bill Berson
07-03-2017, 07:00 AM
All good advice. I have done most of that except carry ice. I don't know if carrying an ice chilled water bottle will help cool the body or not, but it will at least make the water more palatable to stay hydrated.

CHICAGORANDY
07-03-2017, 07:07 AM
In addition to the 100% spot-on clothing advice, there are a large number of shaded areas, display buildings, tents etc that offer relief from the sun. Also make good use of the shuttle/tram system after walking an area of interest have a seat and ride to the next area.

Oshkosh 'can' be hot in the summer but it's not like it's the Sahara Desert or something. You will find folks of ALL ages and physical limitations finding a way to survive it and enjoy it. But if indeed you have that severe of an adverse reaction to temperature swings it might then be best if you stay at home and buy the DVD in a few months instead?

robert l
07-03-2017, 11:35 AM
Between a hydration back pack and those bandanas that swell up and turn cold when you wet them you should be fine. I have lived in South Carolina most of my 70 years, worked outside, (construction) and the only time I ever got sun poisoning was at AirVenture in 2011. Go figure ! Yeah, it's hot, take breaks, cool down and you can make it.
Bob

Bill Berson
07-03-2017, 01:14 PM
I haven't heard of a bandana that swells and gets cold. Thanks.

I checked and found the average Oshkosh high temp for the last week of July is only 81°. That's fine, always thought the average was more like 88°, or something.
Just good to be prepared for unusual heat.

CHICAGORANDY
07-03-2017, 01:47 PM
Here is one sample, though I'd still add a big floppy hat.

https://www.amazon.com/Ergodyne-Chill-Its-6700CT-Evaporative-Cooling/dp/B005H58TKG

Floatsflyer
07-03-2017, 03:15 PM
I checked and found the average Oshkosh high temp for the last week of July is only 81°. That's fine, always thought the average was more like 88°, or something.

Don't want to freak you out but the humidex must be added to those temps. The humidex is the measure of how hot one feels which is the combined actual temp plus humidity that gives the number of how hot it feels. So 81 plus humidity could be close to it feeling like 90+.

robert l
07-03-2017, 04:49 PM
Bill, you can get cooling bandanas and caps everywhere. Most Safety Supply, welding supply stores will have them. Probably all sporting stores and even WalMart will have them or just google it.
Bob

Bill Berson
07-03-2017, 06:06 PM
Walmart here doesn't have it in store, I can order it. Does a cooling bandana have salt in it or something? Or same as a wet towel?

robert l
07-03-2017, 08:09 PM
Not sure what's in it but through the miracles of modern science and chemistry someone figured out how to do it. Something like the "Hot Hands" packets, only cold instead of hot. I have been a safety officer in construction for 25 years and we would hand these out to the guys when the weather was hot. They are reusable.
Bob

Cary
07-04-2017, 08:26 AM
I haven't heard of a bandana that swells and gets cold. Thanks.

Hmmm. I don't think I've ever seen highs that were that cool during Airventure, but then, I really haven't kept track. I do remember several years ago riding my folder over to one of the strip malls off the grounds to buy a charging adapter at Radio Shack. The AC in the store was wonderful. The clerk told me that according to their weather set-up at the store, it was 101F outside! ACK!

Certainly humidity plays a huge part in comfort. I always look forward to my skin smoothing out with the humidity, although the older I get, the more the wrinkles stick around anyway. :)

The different items of advice in this thread have been really good. Personally, other than that hot bike ride to Radio Shack, I haven't suffered much at OSH, through all its variations of weather. It's a matter of doing what is necessary at the time. There is lots of shade from trees and buildings, the buildings are much cooler since AC has become more prevalent, umbrellas and floppy hats help, there are lots of high wings to get under (!), and there's plenty of water (not necessarily cold, but water nonetheless), and fortunately there's almost always a breeze.

Cary

Skyguy
07-04-2017, 08:42 AM
F.Y.I......Radio Shack has gone by-by.

Bill Berson
07-04-2017, 08:55 AM
81° is the average year after year. Some years the week average is higher, like 2012 with 100° one day. The history is at Weather Underground. Here is July 2016. (Actual and average)

mazdaP5
07-04-2017, 09:55 AM
You can always head for an icy dip in Lake Winnebago, still plenty of plane spotting to do there too.

Cary
07-04-2017, 10:35 AM
You can always head for an icy dip in Lake Winnebago, still plenty of plane spotting to do there too.

That's one of the options, go to the Seaplane Base. It's much cooler there--nature's natural AC, from all the trees, the breeze off the lake, etc. The ambiance is "cool" too! :)

Cary

keen9
07-10-2017, 01:42 PM
People from places with less varied weather than the midwest also forget that "average" does not equal "typical". Sunny days are typically well above 81, and rainy days well less.

Bill Berson
07-10-2017, 03:07 PM
6448My friend gave me three of these disposable medicine coolers. It is about 2" thick. 10 pounds of ice seems to last about two days.

Jetmart
07-10-2017, 06:04 PM
People from places with less varied weather than the midwest also forget that "average" does not equal "typical". Sunny days are typically well above 81, and rainy days well less.

Reminds me of the saying that "the average person walking down the street has one testicle and one breast". Averages can be dangerous.

mcdewey
07-11-2017, 11:23 AM
This just showed up on the volunteer (https://www.eaa.org/en/eaa/volunteer/volunteer-at-eaa-airventure-oshkosh)page...
Delivering & Selling Ice

We are looking for a non-profit/volunteer group to deliver & sell ice from July 19- July 30th. Volunteers will need to be able to lift up to 40 lbs, be 18 years of age, and hold a valid driver’s license, as driving a Gator will be required. Volunteers will follow a delivery schedule to drop off ice that is pre-ordered and will also sell ice in the campgrounds. From July 19-22, 4 volunteers will be needed per day, July 23-29, 10 volunteers will be needed per day and July 30, 8 volunteers will be needed per day.

There will be a monetary compensation donated to the group that volunteers for this opportunity.
Please contact Zach Ludtke if you are interested at zludtke@eaa.org.

BeagleOne
07-13-2017, 09:34 AM
Bill, I am an ice aficianado and have been frustrated the last few years since EAA parted ways with the vendor that sold fountain sodas with ice. Now the sodas etc. are sold in bottles, and because of the volume of sales, many times the bottled stuff isn't cold because they are sold so fast they don't spend enough time in the coolers. BUT if you go to the A & W stands, and there are several on the grounds (I hope they're still there this year), they will give you a big free cup of ice if you ask. There are also several places on grounds with air con, including the bathroom trailers, the bathroom areas in the exhibit hangars, and some of the EAA shops.

Bill Berson
07-13-2017, 10:00 AM
Yeah, bottled water is inefficient. I read that working (walking) in the heat can require 16-32oz water per hour.
A cup of ice isn't enough, but maybe A&W would fill my two quart cooler for free or $1?
I bought this two quart beverage cooler yesterday at Walmart (only $4.89). I think it might hold 5 pounds of ice and water and perhaps last all day with tap water refills. Not too heavy to carry. I will test it with ice cubes and see how long it takes to melt.
So the $2 ten pound bag of ice will go in my small foam cooler ( previous post). If I use 5 pounds of ice each day that's $1 per day.
Buying 6-12 bottles of water each day is $12-$24 and a bunch of plastic to recycle.

edit: the red cooler holds 4 pounds of water.

BeagleOne
07-13-2017, 02:32 PM
Well the A & W cups are pretty big, I think about 20 ounces, they're not just little water cups. I would also recommend taking the trams, especially if you are going from one end of the grounds to the other without stopping. I usually park down south, and take a tram up to warbirds, and then gradually work my way south from there, for example.

John Cox
07-18-2017, 07:10 PM
At AirVenture now. Much infrastructure improvements. Hopefully the squall and thunderstorm which just came thru does not set staging back.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Bill Berson
07-18-2017, 08:30 PM
The 10 day forecast is now showing high temps in the 78° to 82° range.

BeagleOne
07-22-2017, 08:03 PM
Bill, I was on the grounds today and the A and W was open, and the guy was happy to give me a cup of ice. Just FYI!

Bill Berson
07-23-2017, 11:53 AM
Thanks.
I will stop by A&W for sure.