PDA

View Full Version : Web Cams

skyfixer8
05-31-2017, 09:31 AM
Anyone know when the web cams will be in operation ?

Bill L

PaulDow
06-01-2017, 12:58 PM
Looking through a few pages here, it looks like they didn't start operating until mid July last year.
They've got to get the towers up first. Then the people who handle the communication to them have to be there. I figure they're either contractors or volunteers. There needs to be something to look at too. I wouldn't think there's too much activity yet.

Cary
06-03-2017, 01:38 PM
Looking through a few pages here, it looks like they didn't start operating until mid July last year.
They've got to get the towers up first. Then the people who handle the communication to them have to be there. I figure they're either contractors or volunteers. There needs to be something to look at too. I wouldn't think there's too much activity yet.

Yeah, except for that one week (actually about 10 days, with early arrivals), KOSH is a pretty quiet airport.

Cary

Sara Nisler
06-09-2017, 08:50 AM
That's about right! I help manage that implementation at EAA and it ends up being about that time once the wayfinding towers are up and we get everything connected. We do it as soon as we can because we know people love them! :)

Sirota
06-09-2017, 02:39 PM
Sara,

I don't know how long you've been around EAA but there used to be a few (3 I think) on-line camera's at the museum that would allow us to peek in year round. They were removed, we were told, because of inadequate band width but they would be back soon. That was 3 - 4 years ago. Any consideration to bringing them back?

Thanks,
Dave

Todd Ritzman
06-16-2017, 08:55 PM
Hi All,

The webcams are managed and maintained by volunteers. Sara is a great help managing the host webpage and helping out our volunteer group.

This year has started out to be quite the challenge, early January we were informed our office location that we have all the computers and servers to handle the webcams was being torn down due to a renovation project at the theater in the woods. As of right now that project is still in works and we have not been able to start installing our equipment. This is putting us considerably behind schedule.

This Saturday Paul and I will be going up to get the 3 cameras mounted on the wayfinding towers before they get raised. In past years the towers usually get raised around the first week of July. Hopefully we will be able to get the wayfinding cameras online shortly after the towers are raised.

Todd Ritzman
EAA Live Webcams Chairman

mcdewey
06-19-2017, 09:27 AM
The webcams are great. Thanks for your hard work and hope all the renovations finish up quickly.

psvinny
07-03-2017, 08:22 AM
Looking forward to seeing them again. It is fun watching setup until I arrive.

Sirota
07-07-2017, 10:49 AM
Hi Todd,

Can you give us an update on the webcams? Are the Theater in the Woods improvements complete so you have a place for your equipment or have you found alternative space? Hope you're able to pull all the variables together as peeking into the show is something I look forward to.

Thanks for all your hard work. Being a volunteer is a thankless job. I hope knowing how many people enjoy the fruits of your efforts makes it a little bit more tolerable.

Dave

Todd Ritzman
07-10-2017, 07:01 AM
Hi Todd,

Can you give us an update on the webcams? Are the Theater in the Woods improvements complete so you have a place for your equipment or have you found alternative space? Hope you're able to pull all the variables together as peeking into the show is something I look forward to.

Thanks for all your hard work. Being a volunteer is a thankless job. I hope knowing how many people enjoy the fruits of your efforts makes it a little bit more tolerable.

Dave

The towers are to be raised this week and hope to have access to them shortly after.

Far as the office, it is still not done! We also have not been given a date yet that we can start moving equipment back up to Oshkosh. As you can imagine, this has put us about a month behind schedule. Because of the delays and to try to still be able to provide all the feeds, I have put a plan into place to have some of the equipment off site and we will just have to remote into. Problem with it being offsite, should something happen that we have to have physical assess to, it is 2 hours away.

The live air traffic control feeds that we send during the show has to be located onsite, so that is going to be delayed until we have access up there. Also the Airshow Feed and the Theater in the Woods feed also has to be installed onsite. Most of our volunteers do not arrive until the Saturday evening or Sunday, so we will be extremely busy this year getting the final stuff in place.

So let's hope that everything goes smoothly and we have good weather.

Todd

glider90
07-11-2017, 01:43 PM
Just noticed the cams are up!

Todd Ritzman
07-11-2017, 06:00 PM
Just noticed the cams are up!

Testing of the cameras is active and can be found both at www.airventure.org/webcams as well as on YouTube. Towers were raised this morning so we can now have a view of some of the grounds.

You will notice that the Vintage Camera is not panning. This is because we changed the mounting this year and need to reprogram all the stops which could not be done with the tower laying down. Unfortunately we have not been able to remote into this camera either to allow us to do the programing remotely, so it is going to be facing to the west until I can get up to Oshkosh again, which I hope is some time this weekend.

As if last Sunday evening, there was already one plane parked over in Vintage camping.

Todd

Mayhemxpc
07-11-2017, 07:04 PM
Outstanding. I can see right where my plane will be parked in 11 days! Beautiful sky and it is still daylight there!

biggles1998
07-12-2017, 08:25 AM
Testing of the cameras is active and can be found both at www.airventure.org/webcams (http://www.airventure.org/webcams) as well as on YouTube. Towers were raised this morning so we can now have a view of some of the grounds.

excellent - watching from afar, since this year a visit is out of reach for me..

CHICAGORANDY
07-13-2017, 02:35 PM
It will be great to watch the cams as the empty spaces start filling up with aviation wonder.

CHICAGORANDY
07-14-2017, 10:07 AM
I feel like Tattoo on Fantasy Island. I was watching the Vintage webcam, it rotated to show parked at the center of the emblem...Da Plane! Da Plane! lol First parked one I've seen..... so far.

Rod Schneider
07-14-2017, 01:44 PM
Just curious, is the Vintage webcam still being adjusted? It is panning, but I was wondering if it will show AeroShell Square, or Boeing Plaza, or whatever it's called this year. :)

Todd Ritzman
07-14-2017, 08:17 PM
Just curious, is the Vintage webcam still being adjusted? It is panning, but I was wondering if it will show AeroShell Square, or Boeing Plaza, or whatever it's called this year. :)

Yes the vinage camera will be adjust and stops changed to show other areas once there are more aircraft and we are onsite to make changes to the setting. It took hours just to program these few spots into the camera remotely so it could give a wide area tour of the grounds as it fills up.

Todd

Wrongway Feldman
07-15-2017, 02:06 PM
Looks like someone is charging their phone at the Warbirds north camera again.
Its Kaput.

Todd Ritzman
07-16-2017, 07:52 AM
Looks like someone is charging their phone at the Warbirds north camera again.
Its Kaput.

The warbirds camera seems to be functioning correctly, at least this morning. The storms that went through last night took the vintage camera offline. I am planning on a trip up there this afternoon, I will look into it then.

Todd

Wrongway Feldman
07-17-2017, 11:24 AM
I read on the YouTube central cam feed (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L-9V3SniINw) that the power supply fried on that camera.
I believe that happened last year also.
Maybe that way tower is a lighting magnet.
Ground rods might help but if it strikes anywhere near that tower nothing going safeguard the electronics.
If it ends up the power supply is not the problem and there is not another camera available you could move the south cam to the central cam location.
There is more action going on at the center and north cameras.
Might get a little beef from the ultralight crowd though.

I think its getting close to start a 2017 webcam sticky thread.

Bill Berson
07-17-2017, 01:32 PM
There is more flight action at the ultralight strip (all day) and a special R/C demonstration and Valdez STOL at 8pm.

Wrongway Feldman
07-17-2017, 03:30 PM
There is more flight action at the ultralight strip (all day) and a special R/C demonstration and Valdez STOL at 8pm. I forgot about the flight action on the ultralight strip.
I also like to watch the Saturday morning balloon launch on the ultralight strip.

Todd Ritzman
07-18-2017, 07:44 AM
I read on the YouTube central cam feed (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L-9V3SniINw) that the power supply fried on that camera.
I believe that happened last year also.
Maybe that way tower is a lighting magnet.
Ground rods might help but if it strikes anywhere near that tower nothing going safeguard the electronics.
If it ends up the power supply is not the problem and there is not another camera available you could move the south cam to the central cam location.
There is more action going on at the center and north cameras.
Might get a little beef from the ultralight crowd though.

I think its getting close to start a 2017 webcam sticky thread.

You are correct that this happened at this camera last year. I made a trip there again yesterday after work and tried a new power supply, unfortunately that did not work. So it is not looking good. I have talked with EAA and provided some options. I am also trying to source a replacement camera, even if on a loan basis.

Todd

CHICAGORANDY
07-18-2017, 08:08 AM
I'll wager I'm not alone in being willing to somehow donate $20 to the cause?

wyoranch
07-18-2017, 08:27 AM
Count me in if needed.
Rick

FS-MP
07-18-2017, 11:25 AM
You are correct that this happened at this camera last year. I made a trip there again yesterday after work and tried a new power supply, unfortunately that did not work. So it is not looking good. I have talked with EAA and provided some options. I am also trying to source a replacement camera, even if on a loan basis.

Todd

Todd.
While I am sure that you and EAA are more than able to resolve any Webcam issues, you also have a large resource of EAA members, many of who I am sure are more than willing to pitch in with both knowledge and equipment/funds.
Currently, as a reader of this Forum, I have no idea what sort of equipment you use for the webcams.
ie $5000 camera and Mounts or $150 webcams ?

Are you able to share with us what the Webcam Equipment is.

ie Camera Make and Model
Mount Make & Model
Power Supply.
and, (particularly w.r.t. Lightening and surges, what and how the camera is connected to. ie hard wired from camera to equipment, or WiFi direct from camera.

Wrongway Feldman
07-18-2017, 06:19 PM
Here is a POST (http://eaaforums.org/showthread.php?2284-AirVenture-2012-Webcam-Official-Thread&p=20980&viewfull=1#post20980) by Todd Ritzman it shows photos of one of the cameras that got damage back in 08-04-2012.
That was awhile back and I think the cameras have been upgrade since then.
If not, they may be able to cobble parts from one to make one that functions.
It would be nice to have a couple back-ups.

Like my Dad use to say "No matter what happens on your wedding day, at the end of the day You're Married"

The Show must go on.

Todd Ritzman
07-19-2017, 07:45 AM
Here is a POST (http://eaaforums.org/showthread.php?2284-AirVenture-2012-Webcam-Official-Thread&p=20980&viewfull=1#post20980) by Todd Ritzman it shows photos of one of the cameras that got damage back in 08-04-2012.
That was awhile back and I think the cameras have been upgrade since then.
If not, they may be able to cobble parts from one to make one that functions.
It would be nice to have a couple back-ups.

Like my Dad use to say "No matter what happens on your wedding day, at the end of the day You're Married"

The Show must go on.

I was trying to remember when that was. A little longer than I thought. How time flys.... ha ha

I have some good news for you guys. I was authorized to purchase a replacement camera and mount, so that is on order and should all arrive by Thursday evening, so the plan is to do a temporary install on the tower down lower on the tower where the lift can get to Friday. This will allow the video stream to go out again. There will be some areas that the view will be limited/restricted because we will no longer be able to rotate the camera to view over the top of the tower and also because of trees that are between the camera and the vintage aircraft camping areas, but at least we will be able to provide the views of the grounds again.

Todd

Sara Nisler
07-19-2017, 08:02 AM

That's very, very kind of you all! Our EAA Live volunteer team is working hard to get this camera back up and operational. A replacement camera is on its way as Todd said. If you would like to donate to these costs, you can send it to:
EAA
PO Box 3816
Oshkosh WI 54903
In the memo of the check it should say AV Grounds/Webcam – then we will ensure it is directed appropriately.

Thanks so much! And thanks to Todd, Paul and the webcam team for all their hard work.

Sara Nisler
EAA Publications Team - Digital Managing Editor
EAA Live Staff Liaison

Wrongway Feldman
07-19-2017, 07:46 PM
I was trying to remember when that was. A little longer than I thought. How time flys.... ha ha
The plan is to do a temporary install on the tower down lower on the tower where the lift can get to Friday.
Todd
That was that really Hot week.

Thumbs ups on the new camera.

You would think considering the amount of revenue that EAA brings into the city of Oshkosh.
The fire department could perform a training drill.
And take one of those nice red fire engine bucket trucks and mount that new camera on top of that way tower.
But they would probably want a piece of the pie too.
Well, so much for that idea.

On different note:
I noticed on the south cam, when you place your mouse on the previously recorded video red stream line.
It normally shows a small preview picture of what was recorded.
When you click on the red stream line the player reloads to that place in the stream.
The problem is when the player reloads and starts playing, the video you see does not match the small preview picture where you clicked.
If you hoover and slide the mouse over the red steam line you see strange small preview pictures that the camera would have not recorded.
Like the clouds, blue sky, and grass. Weird.

The north cam does not have the above issue.
The video you see matches the small preview picture where you clicked.

It is not a big deal just thought that something needed to be reset or re-synchronized.

CHICAGORANDY
07-19-2017, 09:16 PM
Thanks Sara,

As promised, my check for $20 has been mailed. I wish I could do more.

drigotti
07-20-2017, 06:33 AM
I'm having trouble viewing the webcams...now. Last week was AOK. This week I get "Your browser does not recognize any of the video available". When I click on the visit here about HTML5 video is says my browser does support it.
What's up?
Any help please!

Dave

Todd Ritzman
07-20-2017, 09:04 AM
I'm having trouble viewing the webcams...now. Last week was AOK. This week I get "Your browser does not recognize any of the video available". When I click on the visit here about HTML5 video is says my browser does support it.
What's up?
Any help please!

Dave

Dave,

Are you trying to link to the video off the EAA Webcam page? If not, what web page are you using to get the camera video?

Todd

Todd Ritzman
07-20-2017, 09:12 AM
That was that really Hot week.

Thumbs ups on the new camera.

You would think considering the amount of revenue that EAA brings into the city of Oshkosh.
The fire department could perform a training drill.
And take one of those nice red fire engine bucket trucks and mount that new camera on top of that way tower.
But they would probably want a piece of the pie too.
Well, so much for that idea.

On different note:
I noticed on the south cam, when you place your mouse on the previously recorded video red stream line.
It normally shows a small preview picture of what was recorded.
When you click on the red stream line the player reloads to that place in the stream.
The problem is when the player reloads and starts playing, the video you see does not match the small preview picture where you clicked.
If you hoover and slide the mouse over the red steam line you see strange small preview pictures that the camera would have not recorded.
Like the clouds, blue sky, and grass. Weird.

The north cam does not have the above issue.
The video you see matches the small preview picture where you clicked.

It is not a big deal just thought that something needed to be reset or re-synchronized.

Wrongway,

There is nothing we can do with the linking of the image that is displayed when selecting a earlier video recording. Sorry about that. Those images of grass and clouds can only be from images it recorded on the 11th, right before the towers were raised as then that is what the cameras would have seen.

Todd

Todd Ritzman
07-20-2017, 09:15 AM
I also want to thank you for your support. We as volunteers have been trying to improve what is presented every year and try to do so with a very small budget. It is nice to hear from the people that appreciate what we do.

Todd

drigotti
07-20-2017, 10:54 AM
Yes from the Airventure webpage.
https://www.eaa.org/en/airventure/eaa-airventure-news-and-multimedia/eaa-airventure-webcams
Dave

Dave,

Are you trying to link to the video off the EAA Webcam page? If not, what web page are you using to get the camera video?

Todd

Todd Ritzman
07-20-2017, 01:05 PM
Yes from the Airventure webpage.
https://www.eaa.org/en/airventure/eaa-airventure-news-and-multimedia/eaa-airventure-webcams
Dave

Dave,

Try clearing the cache in your web browser.

I tried the link you sent, I do get the cameras to load on multiple different computers, but the pages are loading slow today.

Todd

biggles1998
07-21-2017, 01:40 AM
Don't forget that LIVEATC is now up and running and brings a another dimension in conjunction with the webcams to viewing OSH17 from afar :-) - although it's mostly dark from my timezone. LOL..

Todd Ritzman
07-21-2017, 06:05 PM
Don't forget that LIVEATC is now up and running and brings a another dimension in conjunction with the webcams to viewing OSH17 from afar :-) - although it's mostly dark from my timezone. LOL..

Due to weather and the availability of a lift this afternoon, we were not able to get up on the tower this afternoon. Hoping to be able to get it installed in the morning and then configure the tour stops.

Todd

CHICAGORANDY
07-21-2017, 07:52 PM
Thanks for the update Todd, I'm certain nobody wants that cam up and running more than you and your team does. Thanks for the effort.

Todd Ritzman
07-21-2017, 10:16 PM
Thanks for the update Todd, I'm certain nobody wants that cam up and running more than you and your team does. Thanks for the effort.

That is correct, but we want it done safely. This is my first night up here and it looks like we have another round of storms on the way througb tonight. Hope they pass thru by morning.

biggles1998
07-22-2017, 04:34 AM
That is correct, but we want it done safely.

totally agree, although I sure we all want it back ASAP, do it safely...

mike

Wrongway Feldman
07-22-2017, 10:39 AM
Central cam is back online
It is on a different link.
Almost HD quality resolution, looks great, lots of pretty colors.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MW0Y_e-Ee78

Tom Steber
07-22-2017, 10:40 AM
Just saw that! Can't wait to get there Monday!

Wrongway Feldman
07-22-2017, 11:14 AM
It looks like at the moment they are programming the camera's movement tour.
Logic would assume when that programming is being uploaded to the camera those commands are using up bandwidth.
Disrupting the video stream.
That may be why the player/s is/are buffering once in awhile, they are tweaking the system.
Solution is to reload your browser.
The central camera at this moment is swinging north heading to Boeing plaza, Yippe!!

Someone give those guys some water especially Todd.

The old camera getting hit by lightning may have been a blessing in disguise.
This new camera is a vast improvement by leaps a bounds.

Looks like the original perch on the way tower was reached.
They should of pounded a flag in when the summit was reached.

Wrongway Feldman
07-22-2017, 01:16 PM
A picture is worth a thousands Words.
Old Glory is really showing its true Colors.
You can now even see the Pink Shirts moving around up in the Air Traffic Control Tower

Todd Ritzman
07-22-2017, 03:04 PM
Yes, we did get all the way to the top, just barely. We had a 60 foot lift and all the way up it was still about 10 feet higher. But with a safety harness on, we were able to safely get the rest of the way.

More programming of both stops and trying to improve the quality more will continue as we try to fine tune the setting. Our biggest limiting factor of quality is still the DSL line and the limited bandwidth. The new camera has a new method of compressing the video that is allowing us to increase the quality a little.

Todd

spongebobiwan
07-22-2017, 03:06 PM
Strange New Mysterious Aircraft appears at Oshkosh.6510

Wrongway Feldman
07-22-2017, 09:55 PM
I think that lift is in high gear or that video is in high speed mode.
Ether way its way up on the way tower.
https://twitter.com/EAA/status/888805046909063168

Nothing smells like a new camera in the morning.
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DFWE8XWXoAA5Riq.jpg

biggles1998
07-23-2017, 04:34 AM
Hi.. having three web cams available now is awesome the only problem is watching them all at the same time!! . I found this and made a live 3 way feed which might be useful..

http://www.youtubemultiplier.com/59747a94b7ca1-oshkosh-2017-live-web-cam-feed.php

mike

Todd Ritzman
07-23-2017, 07:38 AM
Strange New Mysterious Aircraft appears at Oshkosh.6510

Well it looks like he was correctly directed to the right area on the airport down by ultralights.

spongebobiwan
07-23-2017, 08:58 AM
LOL. Yes. Well, it does appear to be an ultralight. Perhaps even an ultra ultralight.

Wrongway Feldman
07-23-2017, 09:34 PM
If you can find the Ferris wheel in the picture you get a cookie :)
Here is a hint: The Boeing Chinook (https://twitter.com/EAA/status/889236202066497537) is pointing towards it.

gtrammell
07-24-2017, 10:27 AM
is it just me or does the CENTRAL webcam not aimed right? seem to show Boeing Square but the nothing but tops of buildings and trees. Can they maybe point it to also scan the runways like it did last year?

Sirota
07-24-2017, 11:17 AM
Todd,

Can the focus be improved on the South camera?

Thank you,
Dave

Paul Hayden
07-24-2017, 01:19 PM
unfortunately, no. I think what we are seeing is the maximum output bitrate of the DSL and aging camera.

however the Airshow will be streaming in the highest resolution ever..looking forward to it.

admiralinwi
07-24-2017, 02:30 PM
I thought the cams would be showing the air show. It's going on, but the cams aren't following it.

Paul Hayden
07-24-2017, 02:55 PM
I thought the cams would be showing the air show. It's going on, but the cams aren't following it.

There is an entire stream dedicated to the airshow. check the EAA webcam page and its just under the 3 wayfinding tower cameras

gtrammell
07-25-2017, 06:05 AM
Now the only webcam that does show the runways and such is DOWN.... there goes my Tuesday morning...

Paul Hayden
07-25-2017, 08:51 AM
Now the only webcam that does show the runways and such is DOWN.... there goes my Tuesday morning...

all 3 of the tower cameras show runway as part of the tours. The issue you spoke of was resolved early this morning.

Todd Ritzman
07-25-2017, 09:37 AM
Links to all Webcams feeds can be found at www.airventure.org/webcams (http://www.airventure.org/webcams)

Sirota
07-25-2017, 03:16 PM
No worries Todd. If that's the best, then it looks marvelous!

Thanks for all the hard work you do so those of us that have to stay home can peek in and see the fun we're missing.

Dave

unfortunately, no. I think what we are seeing is the maximum output bitrate of the DSL and aging camera.

however the Airshow will be streaming in the highest resolution ever..looking forward to it.

biggles1998
07-26-2017, 07:58 AM
Happy as pig in s**t as they say.. LOL.. even better now that they have the tower livestream that ive managed to throw onto my LG 50"TV in near HD.. happy days. :-) managed to watch all of the air show last night and crawl into bed at the end..

iflyatiger
07-29-2017, 02:44 PM
Thank you! The airshow camera and camera work is amazing this year.. Watching Saturday at 4:45 est.. It is really incredible.. Thanks again..

PaulDow
07-30-2017, 02:06 PM
I know I'm kind of late with this question, but I was wondering if there is a YouTube link for the air show camera.
I found on YouTube the three feeds for the tower cameras, but didn't see the other one.
When I view the control tower camera on a phone I can't resize it and I only get a small part of the picture.

Edit:
Never mind. I found it.
https://livestream.com/accounts/4758466/events/7611131/player

Hopefully I'll find this message in 51 weeks to remind me.

Jim Rosenow
07-31-2017, 07:21 AM
The dynamic duo of webcam-dom....The end-all-be-all of EAA Live....possibly the most under-appreciated volunteers on the field before, during, and after Oshkosh...and they don't even look tired! I finally had the chance to visit with Todd Ritzman and Paul Haydn in person on Saturday. The two of them, and two additional volunteers who trek up from Texas with $10K of their own camera equipment (the Live around the grounds crew), provide the hours of entertainment we enjoy. The EAA Live development story is an interesting one....I may try to put something together for Sport Aviation if there's interest....

Jim
EAA 64315

Sirota
07-31-2017, 11:46 AM
Thanks for the pic Jim. Nice to put a face with the hugely appreciated names. Thank you Todd & Paul. WELL DONE!

N3kf
08-01-2017, 08:10 AM
Hey I saw those guys around last week, thanks for what you do. Was just Sadly looking at the webcams today. Stuff coming down, some areas look pretty empty. Realizing it's a whole year almost until we get there again! Oh, well, it was a blast. Just wish time would not fly by so fast that week!! Thanks again for the webcams.

N3kf
08-03-2017, 02:46 PM
Still enjoy taking a peek at the webcams. Looks like the North one may be down. Makes me realize how much work it is to take it all down! Also get to say I was probably right "there" this time last week! Always tough coming back to reality after a well there!!

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk