PDA

View Full Version : Basic med

mikey
03-26-2017, 06:53 PM
read on another forum that your doc will have to fill out a 36 page form (in addition) to the form you bring and that liability concerns will be taking a lot of docs out of the picture. scare tactics? not selling my LSA yet.

Tom Charpentier
03-26-2017, 09:31 PM
Not sure where 36 pages is coming from, other than the companion AC to the rule (https://www.faa.gov/documentLibrary/media/Advisory_Circular/AC_68-1.pdf), which gives some explanation and guidance regarding the rule, is 35 pages in its entirety. Appendix A, which contains the forms you bring in and your doctor fills out, is a total of 8 pages (currently in draft and will be for a few more weeks while it goes through a procedural review; it is not expected to change at all). The doctor fills out just over 1 page worth of material.

As far as liability concerns go, you should start by talking to your doctor. You can send them the draft form from the above-linked AC (again, Appendix A is the only thing you and they will need to fill out). If they have an issue with signing the form, let us know and we will do everything we can to help you work the problem.

1600vw
03-27-2017, 05:10 AM
There is an article in this months EAA magazine on this subject of what your doctor must do or inspect in order for you to fly. When I saw " anus " I thought. I need my butt probed to fly? Really I don't need my butt probed to drive my car. This new medical reform was pushed as it being as easy to get your medical as it is to get your drivers license. Not once has any doctor stuck anything up my anus so I could drive a car, truck, motorcycle, end loader, bucket truck, Farm Tractor or semi truck. But my butt needs probed to fly a 150.
Sounds like a pain in the anus to me.
Tony

Tom Charpentier
03-27-2017, 06:48 AM
Yes, people have had a good laugh (or cry) about the "anus" item on the checklist. It's actually on the 3rd class exam too (https://www.faa.gov/about/office_org/headquarters_offices/avs/offices/aam/ame/guide/app_process/exam_tech/item39/et/), but the guidance is to not do the "digital exam" unless the applicant requests it, otherwise to conduct "direct observation" or review "history." I don't know about you, but my AME usually asks some vague question about it and moves on.

Similarly, the "anus" item on the BasicMed checklist has the note "not including digital examination." Unless you have, I don't know, maybe hemorrhoids so bad you can barely walk, everyone should get through this exam point pretty quickly.

1600vw
03-27-2017, 07:24 AM
Yes, people have had a good laugh (or cry) about the "anus" item on the checklist. It's actually on the 3rd class exam too (https://www.faa.gov/about/office_org/headquarters_offices/avs/offices/aam/ame/guide/app_process/exam_tech/item39/et/), but the guidance is to not do the "digital exam" unless the applicant requests it, otherwise to conduct "direct observation" or review "history." I don't know about you, but my AME usually asks some vague question about it and moves on.

Similarly, the "anus" item on the BasicMed checklist has the note "not including digital examination." Unless you have, I don't know, maybe hemorrhoids so bad you can barely walk, everyone should get through this exam point pretty quickly.

While I understand all this..No one ever asked for this in 50 years of me driving my car, truck, tractor, semi, boat, jet ski, ect.. I thought this bill was started in the first place to get away from the third class medical and the requirements of this medical? To say it should be easy to get through. You should be saying we should not have to do this.

Tony

1600vw
03-27-2017, 09:22 AM
But then again I could be wrong. Maybe we have had pilots die in flight because of a hemorrhoids then kill everyone on board? My point...what is the deal with wanting to probe my anus so I can fly PP. Are they trying to prove something or maybe making a statement? What is up in my anus that will make me an unworthy pilot? That is what I am asking. Can they find something to make one not be able to get this certificate doing this or not be worthy of this certificate? If the answer is No. Then why do the test? If the answer is Yes, what is it and how does this make one not worthy? I just don't understand the reason for the test. Not trying to argue or be a smart anus...lol

Tony

Floatsflyer
03-27-2017, 10:10 AM
I just don't understand the reason for the test. Not trying to argue or be a smart anus...lol

Tony

Here's your chance to become informed and educated. As a male of the species I am surprised you don't know why. Getting the fickle finger of fate has NOTHING to do with your proficiency or worthiness as a pilot. But it might save your life. It's to check your prostate for cancer. It takes .0005 seconds. It is the least invasive and most reliable method of checking.

You can also have a PSA done as part of any blood work analysis but it's not as reliable so you should do both. Any man over the age of 45 should have the finger up the ass every year as part of your yearly non-pilot medical examination. Prostate cancer is the simplest cancer to detect and successfully treat if caught early enough. Talk to your doctor. Better still talk to your wife and kids, they probably would like to see you around for as long as possible.

1600vw
03-27-2017, 10:37 AM
Here's your chance to become informed and educated. As a male of the species I am surprised you don't know why. Getting the fickle finger of fate has NOTHING to do with your proficiency or worthiness as a pilot. But it might save your life. It's to check your prostate for cancer. It takes .0005 seconds. It is the least invasive and most reliable method of checking.

You can also have a PSA done as part of any blood work analysis but it's not as reliable so you should do both. Any man over the age of 45 should have the finger up the ass every year as part of your yearly non-pilot medical examination. Prostate cancer is the simplest cancer to detect and successfully treat if caught early enough. Talk to your doctor. Better still talk to your wife and kids, they probably would like to see you around for as long as possible.

Oh I understand why they do it. I do not understand how this can make one not worthy of a PP certificate? No one asked for this to drive ones car and no one cares if I have this when I drive my car. But they care if I want to fly a 150? Does it make one dangerous or a risk to fly? Why must this be done to fly?

Tony

1600vw
03-27-2017, 10:44 AM
Not long ago a friend of mine was busy working on Ercoupes with a man who was one of the go to guys for these airplanes. It was this man and his father who people went to for help on these airplanes. A year before his dad passes. Then a year later he passes. My buddy said he was working with him and he told him he could not shake this cold or whatever it was. His wife became ill with the flu and he thought he had this and could not shake it. Went to the doctor and a few weeks later everyone was mourning his loss. Very sad indeed. Prostate cancer took him. I believe it took his father also but not sure about that.

Tony

DaleB
03-27-2017, 11:27 AM
Not long ago a friend of mine was busy working on Ercoupes with a man who was one of the go to guys for these airplanes. It was this man and his father who people went to for help on these airplanes. A year before his dad passes. Then a year later he passes. My buddy said he was working with him and he told him he could not shake this cold or whatever it was. His wife became ill with the flu and he thought he had this and could not shake it. Went to the doctor and a few weeks later everyone was mourning his loss. Very sad indeed. Prostate cancer took him. I believe it took his father also but not sure about that.
Sure, that's an excellent illustration of why your regular annual checkup from your doc should include screening for prostate cancer and a lot of other things. If you're over 50 or so you should get a colonoscopy every few years as well. See your dermatologist for any odd skin rashes or unusual moles, etc.

But none of that really has much to do with fitness to fly, now does it?

Floatsflyer
03-27-2017, 12:32 PM
Oh But they care if I want to fly a 150? Does it make one dangerous or a risk to fly? Why must this be done to fly?

Tony

Ya, it does if not detected early enough and it matastisizes into lympnods, heart, lungs, brain, other major organs. Now you are a danger and at risk to fly. Peeing into the container is no different than the single digital dance. That's to look for many other medical ailments including the detection of high blood sugar(possible diabetes or type 2 diabetes). If you surpass the threshold for this, they ground you until you can lower the level. And take the colonoscopy advice from Dale, every 5 years past 45.

Not being preachy here, just offering some good overall general health management to allow you to fly for as long as possible. None of us are getting younger and nobody gets outta here alive!

1600vw
03-27-2017, 04:18 PM
Ya, it does if not detected early enough and it matastisizes into lympnods, heart, lungs, brain, other major organs. Now you are a danger and at risk to fly. Peeing into the container is no different than the single digital dance. That's to look for many other medical ailments including the detection of high blood sugar(possible diabetes or type 2 diabetes). If you surpass the threshold for this, they ground you until you can lower the level. And take the colonoscopy advice from Dale, every 5 years past 45.

Not being preachy here, just offering some good overall general health management to allow you to fly for as long as possible. None of us are getting younger and nobody gets outta here alive!

After watching a couple people go through this. By the time its gone all over the body, the last thing these people are doing is thinking of going on a recreational flight. This was my point. By the time people get this far along most are not even driving. They are to sick to get out of bed or leave the house.

To say this is being done because we worry about others health is a bunch of hog wash. If we worried about peoples health so much we would not have people who become ill, then Loose their job, loss all health insurance. Then they must fight the system for another five plus years trying to get some health coverage in the forum of Social Security Disability or Medicare. Then by the time they do get some help their disease is out of control. This is how we treat those whom become ill for no reason at all. They must fight the system before they get any help. Then its to late. As the family goes broke spending every dime they have trying to pay for a medical that they can not tell you how much it will cost. We have no idea until you get the bill. Really imagine if you mechanic told you this. people would be pis#ed. But not if it medical bills.

Don't get me started on health care in America or the lack there of.

Tony

FlyingRon
03-27-2017, 04:25 PM
Everything on that form in the AC came straight from the AME side of the old 8500-8 and it's medexpress later incarnation.

Cary
03-27-2017, 04:33 PM
As a prostate cancer survivor (7+ years now since completing treatment), I have to echo FF's comments. One of the things I learned from the experience is that the cancer can kill, yes, but it can also incapacitate without a whole lot of warning. Generally speaking, there aren't any symptoms of prostate cancer that the individual feels until it suddenly hits, because it has metastasized to some other organ, including possibly the brain. The thing is, there are several treatments which work very well, if it's caught soon enough. But none of those treatments work once there are metastases.

Two really good examples. I'm one of them.

Mine was caught because of a gradually elevating PSA--neither my regular doc (who is also my AME) nor my urologist could feel anything wrong with my prostate. But as FF says, usually the digital test catches it first, which is then confirmed with the PSA--but the ultimate confirmation is a relatively unpleasant taking of tiny biopsies to place under the microscope. Because mine was caught early enough, I've been cancer free for more than 7 years.

My former father-in-law is the other one. He was one of these he-man types, always healthy, who eschewed going to any doc for anything. I don't know what caused him to go to his doc; we weren't told, but it's a good guess that he, like many men in their late 50s or early 60s, was having trouble peeing due to prostate enlargement--it can be really unpleasant. But we were told that he had prostate cancer, that it was surgically removed, and that his post-surgical life was really unpleasant--had to wear Depends, couldn't have sex, etc. My guess is that it had also metastasized elsewhere, because he died 2 years later, at age 63.

Cancer knows no age limits. One of my Angel Flights was to return a couple and their little boy from Children's Hospital in Denver to their home in Hardin, MT after he had received a clean bill of health from cancer treatments--he was only 3 at the time, and his cancer had been discovered right after his 2nd birthday. The daughter of one of my acquaintances at church is now cancer free at age 6--her's was also discovered when she was 2. While I was receiving my radiation treatment, I became friends with a woman receiving radiation for breast cancer--she was only 32. One of my favorite correspondence friends died just recently at age 62--she was so upbeat throughout years of devastating treatment for cancer that had spread throughout her body, yet she always remained hopeful, a real light in anyone's life. A really good man, a former pastor at my church, fought melanoma cancer for several years before it took him at age 77, but he had ignored the symptoms (some odd moles) for too long.

Yet caught in time, most cancers can be treated, and in today's medical world, most treatments are successful. Not all, unfortunately, but the majority. Here's my video about "Catch It In Time", an organization that urges anyone with any kind of odd symptom to get it checked out--and no, the first scenes are not me! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O4O6L60cXrY

So get yourself poked, prodded, even if it's pretty undignified. It's well worth it.

Cary

Floatsflyer
03-27-2017, 06:10 PM
So get yourself poked, prodded, even if it's pretty undignified.

Cary

Happy to hear your good news survivor story. A cautionary tale for many here I'm sure.

Before my doctor does the digital dance, I tell him he has to kiss me first.

mikey
03-27-2017, 07:48 PM
I have had the exams annually for several years, ever since my PSA rang the bell at an elevated number. first thing you learn is the PSA test is subject to many influences that can cause it to be higher than normal on any given test. a retest will be done to confirm or not. as you get older and prostates naturally enlarge, the PSA number can creep up, without there being any cancer present. what the docs look for are sharp spikes in the number. the digital exam is just another test used in conjunction with the PSA. in my latest annual exam (last week), the doc explained they have now incorporated an MRI scan that can give a very accurate look to see if there is anything that warrants further investigation (i.e. the biopsy). And yeah, the colonoscopy thing is a must do also......one of the most restful naps you will ever have!

FlyingRon
03-27-2017, 08:28 PM
Your prostate is not your anus, even if the DRE uses that avenue to measure it. It's like saying you mouth is your lung, just because the doctor has you breath through it while evaluating it.

1600vw
03-27-2017, 08:34 PM
So we all agree you need to have this done. But to make it a rule in order to get a PP certificate. Really.... I will never understand this. Someone 19 who wants this certificate must do this? Unneeded IMHO...

Floatsflyer
03-27-2017, 08:47 PM
Your prostate is not your anus,

True, but like your eyes, it's the window to a man's soul. ;>)

DaleB
03-27-2017, 09:10 PM
True, but like your eyes, it's the window to a man's soul. ;>)
Speak for yourself...

:eek:

:D

Infidel
03-28-2017, 07:10 AM
Back on topic, I believe it will still be easier to obtain a 3rd class medical than the new rule. With some exceptions of course and depending on ones relationship with their doctor. Time will tell and beginning in May, I suspect we'll be reading on a lot of horror stories and experiences.

The easiest avenue would be to become golf buddies with a physician. :)

rwanttaja
03-28-2017, 09:18 AM
Back on topic, I believe it will still be easier to obtain a 3rd class medical than the new rule.
It reminds me of just after Sport Pilot went active. Went to the local FBO for a biannual, and they had trouble wrapping their heads around giving me one when I didn't have a valid FAA medical. Now, they don't even blink.

Think we'll see the same thing with Basic Med. Lot of teething problems at first. Will smooth out in the long run.

Ron Wanttaja

wyoranch
03-28-2017, 10:17 AM
I am sure hat the people who are smarter than I have already thought of this, but is the a repository for issues, concerns and helps for all of this? Seems it would be helpful to have a central place that receives and disseminates info...... Not the 'this is how it is going to work', but rather 'this is what I encountered and here is what I had to do'.
Rick

Frank Giger
03-30-2017, 11:25 PM
The reason it is on the medical is that pilots are such nice and agreeable people at all times that a doctor must check to see if one even has an anus.

;)

Hmmm, I wonder if that could bring about a restriction, much like "must wear corrective lenses," except it would say "must have a butt donut to sit on."

:)

1600vw
03-31-2017, 05:34 AM
It reminds me of just after Sport Pilot went active. Went to the local FBO for a biannual, and they had trouble wrapping their heads around giving me one when I didn't have a valid FAA medical. Now, they don't even blink.

Think we'll see the same thing with Basic Med. Lot of teething problems at first. Will smooth out in the long run.

Ron Wanttaja

This reminds me when I walked into the FSDO office in 2010. First mistake I made. I had no idea one was to call first. I just drove on over and walked up, to a locked door. As I stood there looking at a locked door wondering what was up with this, some dude walked up. He explained to me that after 911 offices like this are locked. He asked what it was I wanted. I told him I wanted a Sport Pilot student certificate. He asked me in and handed me off to some other dude. This dude again asks what it was I was wanting. I told him. He goes through a couple stacks of papers, looks up at me and says...I have no idea what you want could you please leave. I thanked him and walked out but not before explaining..imagine going to the DMV and finding a locked door. He just stared at me as I walked out.
My very fist experience with our local FSDO. Now everyone at the FSDO knows what and where to get a Sport Pilot Student certificate. So I do understand what you mean when you say..things will smooth out as they go along.
Tony

DaleB
03-31-2017, 07:29 AM
imagine going to the DMV and finding a locked door.
Man...wouldn't that be nice? It would save me a over a grand a year.
:)

martymayes
03-31-2017, 07:55 AM
To quote the "Captain" from Cool Hand Luke: "What we've got here is failure to communicate"

cub builder
03-31-2017, 10:42 PM
This reminds me when I walked into the FSDO office in 2010. First mistake I made. I had no idea one was to call first. I just drove on over and walked up, to a locked door. As I stood there looking at a locked door wondering what was up with this, some dude walked up. He explained to me that after 911 offices like this are locked. He asked what it was I wanted. I told him I wanted a Sport Pilot student certificate. He asked me in and handed me off to some other dude. This dude again asks what it was I was wanting. I told him. He goes through a couple stacks of papers, looks up at me and says...I have no idea what you want could you please leave. I thanked him and walked out but not before explaining..imagine going to the DMV and finding a locked door. He just stared at me as I walked out.

Tony

You should visit DMV in New Mexico. Would make your FSDO look really sharp by comparison. Sometimes the doors are locked. Every time you'd swear they had never issued a license before.
Anal inspections are to check for cranial-rectumitis. Severe cases may require a view port installation in the belly button. :rollseyes:

-Cub Builder

04-01-2017, 02:00 PM
You should visit DMV in New Mexico. Would make your FSDO look really sharp by comparison.:rollseyes:

-Cub Builder

Boy O' Boy is this the truth! When I was transferred there I had to have a NM DL and auto registration to get on the Federal reservation and they gave us up to 8 hours duty time to get a DL !
But then we were told to join AAA and get our autos registered there because getting it via the state DMV was hopeless... so I joined AAA and stayed with them the whole time I was in NM... sure wish they could help with the DL process .......:mad:

Floatsflyer
04-01-2017, 04:03 PM
So it's absolutely true then, an alien spaceship did crash in New Mexico in 1948. And the aliens then began a ruthless reign of terror and unimagined horror by infecting a brain eating virus into all future New Mexico DMV employees both born and unborn.

Cary
04-02-2017, 06:20 PM
So it's absolutely true then, an alien spaceship did crash in New Mexico in 1948. And the aliens then began a ruthless reign of terror and unimagined horror by infecting a brain eating virus into all future New Mexico DMV employees both born and unborn.

No! I have it on good authority that the aliens ARE the DMV employees! :rollseyes:

Cary

mikey
04-03-2017, 09:30 PM
my calendar shows about 4 weeks until this thing is supposed to be in effect. wonder when stuff will be published in final form.

04-04-2017, 01:05 PM
:(
my calendar shows about 4 weeks until this thing is supposed to be in effect. wonder when stuff will be published in final form.

Yep, then we can start trying to find doctors who WILL play the game and actually agree to do the paperwork.

The FAA really showed congress who the boss is -- with their dog-and-pony show they dreamed up to "comply" with the law.

I HOPE I'm wrong about how difficult this will be.:(

Frank Giger
04-05-2017, 11:34 PM
I'm too lazy to do the search to see if the Sport Pilot questionnaire is going into effect as well.

Is it?

wallda
04-08-2017, 09:29 AM
This week I met a doctor from southern Wisconsin who is also an AME. We talked about BasicMed and he is very supportive. He will do the basicmed exams and continue with 1-3rd class medical examinations.

mikey
04-08-2017, 10:56 PM
I plan on using my AME for this also. 3 weeks to go, should see final "soon".....

04-09-2017, 01:02 PM
I plan on using my AME for this also..

So far I've asked the last two AMEs that I've used and both said
no. My personal doctor said NO (rather loudly) so I may have to
go back and get a third class every two years ...

Congress just did not know HOW sneaky the FAA was when Congress
said that the FAA had to make the rule ...
so the F(riendly) A(viation) A(gency) made a RULE ...

'nuff said ...... :mad:

FlyingRon
04-11-2017, 05:39 PM
I have no idea what you're talking about by the sneaky comment. The FAA pretty much verbatim published what Congress put in the law. If you don't like the provisions of BasicMed, you should go beat on the Senator Feinstein, who was in bed with the AMA on the drivel she tacked on to the original bill.

mikey
04-14-2017, 05:42 PM
17 days to go. sure is quiet out there. guess I'll go ahead and make appointment and hope for the best.

mikey
04-17-2017, 09:01 AM
yipee....only 13 days to go. warming up my printer.

robert l
04-17-2017, 06:58 PM
I haven't had a medical in 40 years, been flying Sport Pilot for 3 years now but I'm ready to get real again. The only S/P planes within a 200 mile radius are 3 1946 Champs and they are 40 miles away and stay busy, or, are in the shop, or, it's two windy. I love flying the Champ but if I get my medical again, (I've never been denied one, just let it laps and I have some issues. Heart stents) but there are a slew of 150's, and 172's for rent. I would be flying a lot more so I guess I'll find out just what I have to do and start jumping through all the hoops. Hopefully it won't be TOO bad.
Bob

DaleB
04-17-2017, 07:12 PM
Hi Bob,

Do call Dr. Bruce Chien before applying for a medical. With stents you may or may not get one. Dr. Chien specializes in difficult cases; he can look at your reports and tell you what's required, and give you a good idea of your chances. His fee is quite reasonable. If you get denied, you're well and truly screwed. Always be 100% certain that you will be approved before applying... don't leave anything to chance. It's not a fair fight, so make sure you arm yourself accordingly.

mikey
04-17-2017, 08:22 PM
well now this brings up an interesting scenario. lets say you go to your friendly family doc (or AME for that matter) for your new Basic Med physical. and for whatever reason, you are denied.....doc won't pass you. do you now fit the "denied, suspended, or revoked" category and eliminated from Sport Pilot option? if the paperwork for the Basic Med never goes to the feds, have you been "denied" in their eyes...or can you just say thanks doc and go back to Sport Pilot? would be surprised if this is not addressed in the new rule, but I have not run across it yet. would be a good candidate for the FAQ list. or maybe we don't want to ask the question.

Sam Buchanan
04-17-2017, 09:13 PM
well now this brings up an interesting scenario. lets say you go to your friendly family doc (or AME for that matter) for your new Basic Med physical. and for whatever reason, you are denied.....doc won't pass you. do you now fit the "denied, suspended, or revoked" category and eliminated from Sport Pilot option? if the paperwork for the Basic Med never goes to the feds, have you been "denied" in their eyes...or can you just say thanks doc and go back to Sport Pilot? would be surprised if this is not addressed in the new rule, but I have not run across it yet. would be a good candidate for the FAQ list. or maybe we don't want to ask the question.

That would not be a denial by the FAA because a Class 3 Medical exam never occurred. The pilot in your scenario could still fly as a Sport Pilot as long as he/she had never been denied a FAA medical and has held at least a Class 3 certificate sometime during the past ten years.

rwanttaja
04-17-2017, 09:40 PM
That would not be a denial by the FAA because a Class 3 Medical exam never occurred. The pilot in your scenario could still fly as a Sport Pilot as long as he/she had never been denied a FAA medical and has held at least a Class 3 certificate sometime during the past ten years.

Sam, I don't think that's quite right. I believe Sport Pilot is unchanged; you are not required to have held a Class 3 during the past ten years to fly under Sport Pilot. As you say, not being able to pass Basic Med does not count as the denial of the FAA medical.

Ron Wanttaja

jasstech
04-18-2017, 05:38 AM
Excited for this. I haven't been able to fly for 6 weeks while waiting instead of getting the 3rd class.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

robert l
04-18-2017, 06:34 AM
Thanks Dale, I'm definitely going to make sure I have all my ducks in a row before actually having an exam. Where would I find this Dr. Chien? I live in upper, central S.C. but would take a trip for a consultation if I had to.
Thanks,
Bob

DaleB
04-18-2017, 06:03 PM
Sorry, should have included the link. He's in Peoria, I think. www.aeromedicaldoc.com.

robert l
04-18-2017, 07:51 PM
WOW ! Just checked out Dr. Chien, looks like he's the man. It will probably be later in the year before I'm ready to start down this road but it seems to be a good possibility.
At the very least some conciliation. I feel better already.
Thanks,
Bob

Sam Buchanan
04-19-2017, 05:33 AM
Sam, I don't think that's quite right. I believe Sport Pilot is unchanged; you are not required to have held a Class 3 during the past ten years to fly under Sport Pilot. As you say, not being able to pass Basic Med does not count as the denial of the FAA medical.

Ron Wanttaja

Ron, you are correct, fingers got ahead of my brain. :)

lynnlpitts
04-21-2017, 01:26 PM
Has anyone suggested starting a data base of willing physicians to do the BasicMed exam. So far, in the Joplin, Missouri area, I have not heard of anyone. Perhaps AOPA or EAA can provide us some heads up on those willing to work with us.

mikey
04-23-2017, 09:15 PM
hot dog! only one week until it starts. or did I miss an announced delay? EAA and Aopa sure are being quiet.

CharleyB
04-24-2017, 08:02 AM
"As far as liability concerns go, you should start by talking to your doctor. You can send them the draft form from the above-linked AC (again, Appendix A is the only thing you and they will need to fill out). If they have an issue with signing the form, let us know and we will do everything we can to help you work the problem.[/QUOTE]

My AME is the closest thing I have to a Primary Car Physician. He has stated he will not sign a BasicMed letter due to possible liability. My Cardiologist has said the same thing. So, what can you do about it?

CharleyB
04-24-2017, 08:09 AM
I currently have a Class 3 medical which expires Sep 30, 2017, and is based on an AME physical completed on Sep 3, 2016. When do I have to have the first BasicMed physical and complete the first online course? Prior to Sep 3, 2017? OR Sep 3, 2020 for the physical and Sep3, 2018 for the online course?

mikey
04-24-2017, 12:52 PM
yeah!! its released today in final form. checklist is available for printing and take to your dr. on or after May 1. online course will be available also. available on AOPA website

wyoranch
04-24-2017, 01:35 PM
I am not using basic med. out of curiosity I asked my GP and the answer was no way, and the practices (affiliated with a major hospital) was the same. They were fully aware of it as there are 3 AMEs in the office. Insurance and liability were the primary reason. I think you are going to have to resolve those issues before this works.

robert l
04-24-2017, 07:43 PM
Well here we go again, another Catch 22 from the Government. Is anybody really surprised ? Years in the making for something that may be completely useless ! Let's hope not.
Bob

Sam Buchanan
04-25-2017, 08:12 AM
This morning a local pilot received his BasicMed exam at our local doc-in-a-box. Fee was $60 and the exam and paperwork was completed with no drama. This particular clinic does most of our local DOT exams and they found no difficulty in completing the BasicMed paperwork because it is so similar to the DOT form.

Frank Giger
04-25-2017, 11:27 AM
Sam, that's great to hear.

I'm tasked with giving a presentation on the new medical stuff, and had supposed that if a place does DOT exams, they'll most likely do this one.

I called our local "Doc in a box" place and they said they give out physicals of all sorts for work.

Auburntsts
04-26-2017, 04:13 AM
I currently have a Class 3 medical which expires Sep 30, 2017, and is based on an AME physical completed on Sep 3, 2016. When do I have to have the first BasicMed physical and complete the first online course? Prior to Sep 3, 2017? OR Sep 3, 2020 for the physical and Sep3, 2018 for the online course?

If you don't want to be grounded, you have to complete the entire BasicMed process by the end of Sep 17. IOW your AME physical that you got for your Class III cannot be applied towards a BasicMed physical--you have to get a new one by a state liscensed physician. See AOPAs's BasicMed FAQ page for more info: https://www.aopa.org/advocacy/pilots/medical/third-class-airman-medical-reform

Auburntsts
04-26-2017, 05:54 AM
Well color me disappointed--I'm a military retiree and asked my PCM at the off base Military Treatment Facility. (aka clinic) we use and I was ttold they have no plans to participate in the BasicMed program. If any of you mil retirees get a different answer from your PCM I'd like to know.

L16 Pilot
04-26-2017, 11:27 AM
Over the years I've held a commercial (CDL), school and passenger bus license and never had a problem getting the medical part signed off. So what's the difference (other than it says "aviation")?.

wyoranch
04-26-2017, 05:25 PM
Over the years I've held a commercial (CDL), school and passenger bus license and never had a problem getting the medical part signed off. So what's the difference (other than it says "aviation")?.
It says aviation.......... ;-)

Frank Giger
04-26-2017, 07:18 PM
If one reads both the AOPA guide and the examination form itself, it's important to stress the "motor vehicle" part.

This is what the doctor is actually signing his name to:

In accordance with section 2307(b)(2)(C)(iv), of the FAA Extension, Safety, and Security Act of 2016 (Public Law 114-190), I certify
that I discussed all items on this checklist with the individual during my examination, discussed any medications the individual is taking
that could interfere with their ability to safely operate an aircraft or motor vehicle, and performed an examination that included all of the
items on this checklist. I certify that I am not aware of any medical condition that, as presently treated, could interfere with the
individual's ability to safely operate an aircraft.

It's basically a DOT exam, except it's for the FAA instead. Do the online portion, find a patient mill where they do a lot of things, including DOT and company physicals, and don't freak out over it. Most doctors in clinics that do this sort of stuff aren't weirded out that it's an FAA exam instead of a DOT or other company exam. They know that "as presently treated" is their get-out-of-jail card, and have the checklist provided by the patient to back them up.

However, it's easy to overstate the reforms. If one develops a condition that requires a Special Issuance for medical (such as a heart attack), the pilot has to go through the nutroll of getting it through an AME/FAA. The good news is that once the special issuance is granted, it doesn't expire and the Basic Med exam will cover it (so long as one's condition doesn't change).

mikey
04-27-2017, 08:39 AM
just tried to sched a Basic Med with my usual AME. he will not do them, citing the liability. seems to be the poison pill that was inserted into this thing. oh, well.

Sam Buchanan
04-27-2017, 08:45 AM
just tried to sched a Basic Med with my usual AME. he will not do them, citing the liability. seems to be the poison pill that was inserted into this thing. oh, well.

An AME may end up being the last resort when finding a doctor for the BasicMed exam. I've been told that their liability coverage is tied to the FAA and since the BasicMed exam is not a Class III exam the FAA protection doesn't apply. This is probably going to make AME's a bit nervous, even those in general practice.

However, a "normal" physician will have an umbrella of liability coverage that protects them from a wide range of exposure. Your best option is most likely going to be a doctor that customarily offers occupational exams such as DOT, drug tests, etc. These services are often offered in walk-in clinics.

L16 Pilot
04-27-2017, 10:57 AM
Here again I don't know what the medical community is getting so tight about. I just looked at the Wisconsin requirements for school bus drivers (form) they routinely sign off on and it's probably less stringent than the "Basic Med". I'd say the majority of school bus drivers in our district are near or above 70. I was 74 when I retired and had no problem passing the medical requirements. As a side note: blood pressure not to exceed 180/105 . Overall probably more liability hauling a bus load of kids rather than flying a 172, etc.

Auburntsts
04-27-2017, 02:43 PM
Well color me disappointed--I'm a military retiree and asked my PCM at the off base Military Treatment Facility. (aka clinic) we use and I was ttold they have no plans to participate in the BasicMed program. If any of you mil retirees get a different answer from your PCM I'd like to know.

So I followed up with my MTF (clinic) to find out why they were declining to participate (DoD policy etc). I pointed out the type of physical I would be requesting under BasicMed they were already performing (like sports physicals). I used the following verbiage out of the AOPA Pilots & Physicians Guide "the examination itself is just like a wellness exam, similar to those conducted for high school athletics, scuba diving certification, or for a U.S. Department of Transportation commercial driver’s license. Conducting this examination is similar to determining if an individual can safely operate a car, truck, motorcycle, boat or other motor vehicle" and I posted the 4 steps they would use to actually perform the exam -- in my original e-mail I had only posted the links, not any specific info.

So long story short, this time the Clinic Director reviewed my request and reversed their original position and they will now perform the exam!!! http://www.vansairforce.com/community/images/smilies/biggrin.gif Now my current Class III is only 8 months old so I won't be testing this anytime soon, but I'm hopeful other retirees will benefit.

Marty Santic
04-27-2017, 03:38 PM
I'm putting together an article for our chapter newsletter and hoping for some clarification. The AOPA website states the following...... "If you have had a special issuance medical within the 10-year lookback period and your medical status is unchanged, you should be able to fly under BasicMed provided you meet all the other qualifications, including being under the treatment of a physician for your medical condition. If you develop a new condition that requires a special issuance medical certificate, you will have to apply for a one-time special issuance for that condition."

So my question. Assume the individual had a valid 3rd class medical that expired 5 years ago (within the 10 year lookback period) and has never been denied. A couple of years ago the individual had a heart issue which required stents (a condition that previously required a special issuance).

Does the individual qualify for BasicMed or is a one-time special issuance required for this new condition from the FAA?

Frank Giger
04-27-2017, 07:01 PM
Did he get a special issuance for it?

If so, he can use BasicMed.
If he never went through the FAA for one, then no, he can't.

That's the "bad" of it. If one develops a condition that requires a special issuance, they have to go through the nutroll of getting a special from the FAA.
The "good" of it is that it's "one and done" for that condition - so long as it doesn't change. If the doctor under basic med is okay with the condition, no extra tests required for it to be continued.

DaleB
04-27-2017, 09:23 PM
And if he tries for the SI and gets denied -- he's screwed.

C150L
05-01-2017, 08:12 PM
Well, I logged here to read of all the people that took on BasicMed today. HUMM,,, no one but me or didn't I go back enough pages? Smooth sailing with my regular AME that I've seen for many years. I'm good for next four years now.

One bummer today though. Went out and changed oil in plane but rain hampered my exercising this new rule on 1st day .

mikey
05-04-2017, 11:06 AM
AME would not do it. family doc has agreed to do it, but took some education. as some predicted, that seems it will be the way of it for awhile.

cwilliamrose
05-04-2017, 01:04 PM
Got mine done this morning by a non-AME pilot/doctor. I suspect there will be a fairly long list of willing doctors to chose from in the next year or two.

lutorm
05-04-2017, 03:17 PM
Well I'm happy to report that I just visited my regular doctor this morning and she was already familiar with the BasicMed form and didn't bat an eye. She even "deferred" the rectal exam... ;-)

jasstech
05-06-2017, 01:26 PM
Visited my regular doctor yesterday and walked out with the signed form. Went home and took the online course. Went to the airport and flew this morning! Plus it is good twice as long as the 3rd class since I'm now 40. I'm loving this BasicMed!

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

n743tc
05-07-2017, 09:13 AM
Sent this to FAA help desk 8 days ago.

The new medical ruling indicates that a Class 3 Med is limited to an aircraft that is less than 6,000 lbs. What class medical is needed for a private pilot to legally fly as PIC of a heaver AC.
Thanks for your reply.
https://ssl.gstatic.com/ui/v1/icons/mail/images/cleardot.gif

helpdesk@faa.gov

Apr 29 (8 days ago)https://mail.google.com/mail/u/0/images/cleardot.gif

https://mail.google.com/mail/u/0/images/cleardot.gif

to me

Tom,
MY team does not know the answer to that question. I would ask your AME and see if they can give you an answer. I will ask my management team Monday when they get back to work.

No answer as yet.

Tom Charpentier
05-08-2017, 08:31 AM
Sent this to FAA help desk 8 days ago.
The new medical ruling indicates that a Class 3 Med is limited to an aircraft that is less than 6,000 lbs. What class medical is needed for a private pilot to legally fly as PIC of a heaver AC.
Thanks for your reply.
https://ssl.gstatic.com/ui/v1/icons/mail/images/cleardot.gif

helpdesk@faa.gov

Apr 29 (8 days ago)https://mail.google.com/mail/u/0/images/cleardot.gif

to me

Tom,
MY team does not know the answer to that question. I would ask your AME and see if they can give you an answer. I will ask my management team Monday when they get back to work.

No answer as yet.

The BasicMed rule is an alternative to the existing 3rd class medical rules for aircraft 6000 lbs or less and with six seats or fewer (and <18,000 ft MSL and <250 KIAS). For aircraft not fitting that description, the normal third class medical can still be used for all noncommercial operations.

piperflyer
05-08-2017, 08:12 PM
Basic Med seems to be very unpopular with the medical profession here in southern Oregon or maybe they just don't know much about it. The AME that I've gone to for several years will not participate because he feels it lowers the standards. My primary care provider belongs to a major medical practice whose medical director has turned thumbs down at least for now. It's possible that their Occupational Medicine might be willing to sign on, but that wouldn't be like working with my personal physician. I'd really like to transfer to Basic Med, but the doors have closed and I don't know how to open them. I could look for a doctor that is in private practice but then I'm starting over and I'm limited to those that accept Medicare.
Obviously, some are having no problem with moving to Basic Med, but that's not the case in our area and I don't know how widespread the "opt-out" is. What has AOPA and EAA done to educate the medical community and what can people like me do to try to change policy? How can we find out which, if any, physicians and medical practices in our area are willing to participate? Not like I can post a query in a medical chat room. Congrats to those whose doctors have signed on, but that doesn't seem to be the general attitude in our area. What's going on in other parts of the country?

jam0552@msn.com
05-08-2017, 08:25 PM
My doctor on the central coast in California just signed my Basicmed checklist. I've been seeing him about 5 years. No questions asked.
Joel Marketello

Gently56
05-12-2017, 11:03 AM
O.K. here is what I was informed by my "Family doctor" She stated she had no problem with the form BUT because it required an Eye and Color exam and a Hearing exam Both items she is not "set up" for ie; she does not have the proper equipment to conduct the exam, She was unable to sign off until I got both items completed with a note from the examining Doctors, then She said there would be no problem.
She also stated that a sports medical and a CDL exam may or may not have these tests.

So as I see it, I go and find a Medical facility that offers these exams (CDL or Sports) hopefully they will check and sign, OR I go to an Eye Doctor (exam fee) and a hearing Doctor (exam fee) then with a note attached to the med form from each Doctor I then get ANOTHER appointment with my doctor, hopefully withing a two to three week period, and have her complete the exam with the attached forms (exam fee). So my basic med now will cost almost as much as a proper 3rd class FAA exam.

Only advantage that I see is it does not go for review to the FAA. Doesn't make much sense, simple and cheaper to go to a AME and renew the 3rd class med.
I guess the moral of this tale is Find a doctor that has the color cards and a hearing test then make them your "family doctor". I really thought this was going to help make this simple and quick, but I guess that was to much of a wish, the nearest AME to me is about a 2 1/2 drive. Yes I do live in Podunkville West Virginia!!

bmckinney
05-15-2017, 03:11 PM
Have struck out 3 times today trying to find a doctor that will do this in Lakeville, MN. None had heard of it and all rejected it without even investigating. One was a family clinic, two were clinics that performed DOT exams. If any other Twin Cities area pilots are having luck, please respond.

mikey
05-15-2017, 07:03 PM
there is a need for EAA and/or AOPA to provide a clearinghouse of docs who are doing these physicals. anyone at EAA listening?

robert l
05-15-2017, 08:03 PM
Or, maybe the FAA should step in and say, Hey, we're trying to make this EASY so lighten' up ! What am I complaining about, I've got to do a special issuance anyway. Sigh !
Bob

Tom Charpentier
05-15-2017, 08:20 PM
Have struck out 3 times today trying to find a doctor that will do this in Lakeville, MN. None had heard of it and all rejected it without even investigating. One was a family clinic, two were clinics that performed DOT exams. If any other Twin Cities area pilots are having luck, please respond.

My colleague Mack relayed to me that My Medical Clinic in Maplewood is willing to perform BasicMed physicals. Here is their website: http://www.mymedicalclinicmn.com/.

Tom Charpentier
05-15-2017, 08:33 PM
there is a need for EAA and/or AOPA to provide a clearinghouse of docs who are doing these physicals. anyone at EAA listening?

Loud and clear. We're working as hard as we can to provide guidance to members in these early stages of the program. Assuming your primary care provider is unwilling/unable to sign the form, we have found that a lot of applicants are having luck going to a local occupational health clinic that specializes in things like DOT physicals and other work or recreational medical sign-offs.

Another bit of standard guidance, the same that I always give to members trying to find a good local AME, is ask at your next chapter meeting/hangar flying session. Again, the program has barely been active for two weeks, but as more pilots start flying under BasicMed (we're already well north of 1,000), the infrastructure will quickly build to support it.

L16 Pilot
05-16-2017, 07:03 AM
Friend of mine (88 years old) just got his basic medical taken care of but he's in great health for his age not to mention also a great pilot.

Frank Giger
05-17-2017, 07:42 AM
What would be great is if the EAA guys in DC met up with the "doc in a box" lobbyists and got them on board with Basic Med.

I'm sure that American Family Care, etc., which have chains of clinics would love to capture this - it's low cost (on their end) and would open up a new stream of revenue.

Bill Berson
05-17-2017, 05:00 PM
So, is this four year exam ("Basic Med") what EAA was lobbying for?
I thought it was to be no more exams and replaced with online training.

1600vw
05-18-2017, 03:42 AM

I thought it was suppose to be as easy as getting a drivers licenses. Not once have I needed to see the doctor to get my drivers license.

martymayes
05-18-2017, 06:11 AM

Oh, I agree Bill, basic med fell flat on it's face and it's mostly due to another alphabet organization with an ego so big they thought they could do anything.

Bill Berson
05-18-2017, 08:18 AM
Is EAA done with it and moving on? Or is EAA still pushing to eliminate the medical?

mikey
05-18-2017, 11:28 AM
completed BasicMed this a.m. (yipee!) It wasn't what we had hoped for but it is good for me for now. a word of advice...when you take the AOPA online course (after seeing the doc), recommend take notes. some questions are easy but some can be more difficult. although AOPA authored the course/exam, some of the questions smell very much like FAA-speak. and the course does take awhile...at least for me.

Frank Giger
05-18-2017, 01:41 PM
LOL, I took the online course to flesh out the presentation I'm giving on it tonight and scored an 85%....a couple of them are sort of FAA-speak, as mikey said, and of the "pick the BEST answer" sort.

I don't have much skin in this game, as I'm a Sport Pilot, so I kind of just clicked through the darned thing. :)

rwanttaja
05-18-2017, 01:53 PM
Remember, it is still early days...going to have to be some bugs to get out of it. Sport Pilot/Light Sport was the same way. Takes a while to get the kinks out.

This may not be the program that we wanted, but from watching things from the sidelines, I think it was the best we could get. Don't forget, the original concept was heavily tinkered-on (and tinkled-on) by members of Congress, responding to big lobby groups like AMA and ALPA. It's not EAA's or AOPA's fault that we didn't get everything we wanted (or everything THEY wanted).

Keep in mind that this sort of thing bootstraps. We probably wouldn't have gotten BasicMed if Sport Pilot hadn't shown that a reduced-medical flight concept could be safe. Give it a few years, and EAA/AOPA might be able to attack the problem again, using data produced by BasicMed.

Ron Wanttaja

Frank Giger
05-18-2017, 03:46 PM
Ron said the magic word: data.

To be honest, there just isn't any good data on how medically safe the Sport Pilot rules are. Lots of things that can be inferred, but no hard data points that one can use to say the Class III medical has served its purpose and needs to be ended.

We know, for example, that some Private Pilots have taken advantage of Sport Pilot rules and flown without a (then) current medical. But we don't know how many, or how many hours they've flown, or anything one can slap down and say "here is the analysis based on good information."

Bill Berson
05-18-2017, 04:53 PM
Motorglider pilots have flown for decades without medicals. So that data should be out there.

bmckinney
05-19-2017, 03:26 PM
Followup to my post from a few days ago. I did find a doctor in my area who was comfortable doing the BasicMed. Went in this morning, completed the exam, and then completed the online AOPA course and I am good to go.

J Eichenberger]
05-19-2017, 03:26 PM
The reason this got screwed up was that Sen. Inhofe "went a bridge too far". Trying to get pilots to be able to fly IFR, VFR, day or night, in anything up to 6000 pounds was silly. How many of us fly twins like a Baron, 310, or Aztec? Had he used common sense, and tried to limit the privileges to the Cessna 182 class of airplane and below, and maybe even limit it to day VFR, it would have served the great majority of us. But, that's not what happened. I suggest that we now start shooting for expanding the driver's license medical privileges to those exercising recreational pilot privileges - basically Piper Archer, Grumman Tiger, and lesser airplanes. That, again, would cover the great majority of us. So, for now, I'll still fly my Champ.

Bill Berson
05-19-2017, 04:41 PM
I just read in the February Sport Aviation where Jack Pelton said that this quarter century fight against the medical is over now and let's celebrate because EAA got everything it wanted.

I don't get it.

Scooper
05-20-2017, 05:53 PM
I took the AOPA self-assessment course and passed the quiz on April 25, but the earliest I could get an appointment with my primary care physician for reviewing the CMEC and having him perform the physical exam was Thursday, May 18. I had provided the AOPA BasicMed for physicians guide to him a couple of weeks ago to see if he would have any issues performing the physical and signing the CMEC, and he said no. Basically, he said it's similar to the physical exams he gives truck drivers and scuba divers.

After ten years flying as a sport pilot because keeping a special issuance 3rd class medical was cost prohibitive, it's nice to be able to fly 172s again as PIC and fly my LSA at night instead of having to land somewhere and get a motel room a few miles from home because I know I won't be able to make it back to my home airport before dark.

I think BasicMed is a great thing. Just my $.02.

1600vw
05-20-2017, 06:09 PM
Maybe we should implement this for everything and anything a person operates. Be it a riding lawn mower or a Semi-truck, or an ultralight or jet. IMHO there was nothing wrong with this being ran like SP. The only reason it is not....GREED. No money in a person not seeing their doctor. But this is a different story..Or is it....

My 2 cents.
Tony

Scooper
05-20-2017, 07:10 PM
The BasicMed cost me $20, the copay for an office visit, and it lasts four years. Insurance covers a comprehensive physical exam every year, and this was it.

1600vw
05-21-2017, 05:21 AM
The BasicMed cost me $20, the copay for an office visit, and it lasts four years. Insurance covers a comprehensive physical exam every year, and this was it.

Yep a doctors visit today cost 20 bucks..If you believe this doctor only made twenty bucks and a few dollars in copay, well I have some ocean front property in Illinois for sale... I still believe the AMA pushed this for the reason of..money or cash flow. Look at all the people running to their doctors.. People can not wait to make the appointment to get back in the pilots seat. But they have been driving everyday not a risk to anyone. It's just a matter of time when you go to operate anything with an engine you will need a medical release. Sounds stupid does it not and it is.

Tony

robert l
05-24-2017, 02:25 PM
Hey Stan, I'm waiting until my prescriptions run out before I go for my "Special Issuance", hopefully that will be one less hoop I have to jump through. I have stents and wear a C-Pap and at least one of my meds is on the "No Fly" list. After my last refill I'm weening off all meds. Sport pilot flying is all I do anyway but the availability of LSP aircraft within a hundred miles is very limited and stay booked up. ( 4 Champs within a 50 mile radius but plenty of 150's and 172's ) ! Of course I'll talk with an AME before I take the risk of not passing.
Bob

Mike Switzer
05-24-2017, 05:16 PM
Yep a doctors visit today cost 20 bucks.

Not for me. I am self employed so I have to buy my own insurance, as of last November there was ONE provider option under obamacare in the state of Illinois that I qualified for. The policy I was forced into has no copay & a $6500 deductible. Needless to say, I am avoiding going to the doctor. I believe the rate the insurance company has negotiated with the doctors office is just shy of $100 per visit (more than he charges for a 3rd class medical exam).

1600vw
05-24-2017, 07:56 PM
Not for me. I am self employed so I have to buy my own insurance, as of last November there was ONE provider option under obamacare in the state of Illinois that I qualified for. The policy I was forced into has no copay & a $6500 deductible. Needless to say, I am avoiding going to the doctor. I believe the rate the insurance company has negotiated with the doctors office is just shy of $100 per visit (more than he charges for a 3rd class medical exam).

I feel your pain. In order for me to get health insurance under Obamacare it cost me 50% of my monthly income. That does not cover the deductible or meds. I also avoid the doctor. But now I have a pacemaker. Every few months I must check in with this at a cost of 100 bucks per checkin. This is done over something that looks like a cell phone.