PDA

View Full Version : Rod ends for aileron push rods

IanLaw
03-16-2017, 09:28 AM
Drawings I'm using refer to Fafnir RE43 10 Rod Ends. These have a 1/4" hole in the "Ball" and are hollow shafted, to fit a 1/2"OD shaft.
I assume from the "RE" that these are ball bearing units.

I also need to source Rod Ends described as "Uniball" F45-19. These have a 1/4"dia. hole in the "Ball", but they are internally threaded 5/16-24. I think these may not be ball bearings.

These are clearly older part numbers and I'm having trouble sourcing them or their equivalents. These are for my Wolf Boredom Fighter biplane project. Sadly, the designer Don Wolf is deceased so I'd appreciate any leads.

Thanks. Ian

jam0552@msn.com
03-16-2017, 07:03 PM
Aircraft Spruce & Specialy has a good selection of rod ends. Many are industrial rod ends - not specifically meant to be used in aircraft. You can probably find what you need there... one suggestion: make sure there is an "M" stamped somewhere on the rod end. This means it was Magnafluxed after manufacture and there was no cracking. Joel Marketello

Kurt Flunkn
03-16-2017, 09:25 PM
I believe that fafnir was acquired by Timken a number of years ago. You may want to try Timken or see if you can find a similar part by Heim....

IanLaw
03-17-2017, 08:30 AM
Many thanks Jam & Kurt.

Just rechecked my old Aircraft Spruce catalogue and find that the F45-19 item has been listed there all the time. Obviously, I need to polish up my reading glasses!

The "RE43 10" part with a hollow shaft isn't shown in the current Aircraft Spruce product list, but I have e mailed for confirmation & to ask if an equivalent can be supplied.

Thanks again!

Ian

vaflier
03-17-2017, 06:00 PM
Mcmaster-Carr. Has a large selection of rod ends of all types including MIL-SPEC

IanLaw
03-18-2017, 03:13 AM
Thanks for the lead vaflier and I'll follow that up. A/Spruce have just confirmed they can't supply the ball bearing RE43 10 with the 1/2"ID hollow shaft, so I'm looking for an acceptable alternative. I'll refer to my UK "Inspector" in due course to confirm any substitute would be OK.

Thanks again.

Ian

lathropdad
03-18-2017, 07:47 AM
I have been using spherical bearings, rod ends, for decades in my products. This is my first choice now days; http://www.aurorabearing.com/index.html

Because of the demands of the products I make, I have found that making a housing and then using a stake able spherical bearing is the best option.

The Bearhawk Patrol and LSA have gone the route of making a housing and staking a spherical bearing in that housing instead of the Rod ends they used for the 4 place.

IanLaw
03-19-2017, 03:21 AM
That's an interesting idea lathropdad. I've reached the stage where all the related parts for my ailerons, including the ailerons/hinges/bellcranks etc are done and ready, so it might not be easy to make any major changes.

Many thanks for the idea and the link.

Ian

lathropdad
03-19-2017, 07:13 PM
Ian,

Years ago I liked to use Ampep rod ends. I had a 1972 Formula Ford that came with Ampep rod ends. They were as good as anything I could get at the time. UK made and they were a PIA to get but worth
the effort. I think they went the way of a lot of bearings, history only.

IanLaw
03-20-2017, 05:27 AM
I'll look into those as well.Thanks again!Ian

Whitewolf
03-20-2017, 09:45 AM
I was also going to suggest AURORA as a place to look. If you cannot find what you need from them I doubt it's made http://eaaforums.org/images/smilies/smiley.gif I ordered some but didn't go in for the big $ aviation or military spec. type. They were not magna fluxed either but then mine is an ultralight and I am not bound by any restrictions that I don't impose on myself. Still thought they were a good quality product. Way better than the quick disconnects that were OEM for MiniMax line of craft anyway. White

IanLaw
03-20-2017, 02:17 PM
Another interesting angle and thanks Whitewolf.Ian

planecrazzzy
03-23-2017, 05:47 PM
I went to "Tull Bearings"
Got a thrust bearing for my tailwheel...
and Heim connectors for my control rod ends
Remember to put a big washer on the open side of the Heim connector
I bought mine for $7 bucks each a few years ago
Gotta Fly...

IanLaw
03-24-2017, 03:22 AM
Many thanks and I'll have a look at Tull. 7 bucks sounds good to me - but I guess mine will cost nearer 70!

Your tailwheel looks nifty. I'm looking for a very lightweight wheel with max OD of about 3 - 1/4". The wheels I have are tough but heavy.

Thanks again.

Ian