PDA

View Full Version : Inexpensive aircraft data plate solution

cluttonfred
03-16-2017, 04:00 AM
I was looking around for inexpensive solutions for data plates online and it occurred to me that GI-style stainless steel dog tags might work since an E-AB need only include the name of the builder, model and serial number. I can't find any specific size requirement for the plate or the text in the regs, just "firepoof" and "secured" and "legible," but the dog tags are a bit too small and the lines are too short if you have a long name.

Then I stumbled across the site below that sells dog tags and also offers "industrial nameplates" about 3-3/8" x 2-1/8" in .016" stainless with attachment holes in the corners and room for up to ten lines of text with 30 characters per line. The cost is just $14 including postage. Here's a sample a whipped up on their site:

https://www.mydogtag.com/industrial-nameplate
https://www.mydogtag.com/faq.php#dogtagstyles_card-nameplate

I have no connection to the site, just thought I'd share.

Cheers,

Matthew

Tim Hoversten
03-17-2017, 10:59 AM
Actually, the EAA dataplate is available for only $7.99 plus shipping https://www.eaa.org/en/eaa-shop/homebuilders_corner/2257002900000__amateur-built-data-plate

It is also included in the EAA Amateur-Built Certification Kit, along with the EXPERIMENTAL decal and Step-By-Step Certification guide which is available to EAA members for $12.99 + shipping and non-members for $19.99 + shipping https://www.eaa.org/en/eaa-shop/homebuilders_corner/2258337900000__amateur-built-certification-kit

cluttonfred
03-18-2017, 02:03 AM
Actually, the EAA dataplate is available for only $7.99 plus shipping https://www.eaa.org/en/eaa-shop/homebuilders_corner/2257002900000__amateur-built-data-plate

It is also included in the EAA Amateur-Built Certification Kit, along with the EXPERIMENTAL decal and Step-By-Step Certification guide which is available to EAA members for $12.99 + shipping and non-members for $19.99 + shipping https://www.eaa.org/en/eaa-shop/homebuilders_corner/2258337900000__amateur-built-certification-kit

Thats certainly true, Tim, but those are blank plates that must then be stamped or engraved. The link I sent was for one plate or two dog tags already embossed with the information required.

Blue750
03-23-2017, 07:59 PM
Nice find...thanks for sharing! Any suggestions otherwise for this dataplate?

1600vw
03-23-2017, 09:05 PM
I would include the year or date.

cluttonfred
03-24-2017, 06:55 AM
Of course, you can certainly include whatever additional info you want, and from the selection of pre-made data plates out there (and what goes on certified aircraft) lots of people seem to go crazy.

http://www.aircraftspruce.com/categories/building_materials/bm/menus/cs/placards_aircraft.html

I was surprised to learn from EAA's own page on the subject that there are only five things that have to be included, and two don't apply to experimental, amateur-built aircraft:

"45.13 Identification data.
(a) The identification required by § 45.11(a) and (b) shall include the following information:
(1) Builder's name.
(2) Model designation.
(3) Builder's serial number.
(4) Type certificate number, if any.
(5) Production certificate number, if any"

https://www.eaa.org/en/eaa/aviation-communities-and-interests/homebuilt-aircraft-and-homebuilt-aircraft-kits/frequently-asked-questions/data-plate

I could see including "Experimental Amateur-Built" as Blue750 did above, which serves to explain why there are no type/production certificate numbers listed, but otherwise I'd keep it simple.

turtle
03-24-2017, 05:14 PM
Nice find...thanks for sharing! Any suggestions otherwise for this dataplate?

Is your serial "#001" or "001"?

Blue750
03-24-2017, 08:58 PM
The serial number is 001, but "SERIAL NO.: 001" is not as visually pleasing to my eye as depicted above. Is there a possibility this would be not allowed for my airworthiness inspection as is? Easy enough to change if it might present a problem...

Blue750
03-24-2017, 08:59 PM
I was wondering what people put for year or date of their build. Would you use start date or finish date? Format, month/year?

cluttonfred
03-25-2017, 07:23 AM
I doubt any inspector would care but "serial number" abbreviatiation that seem most accepted include SN, S/N, Ser. No., and Serial No. I wouldn't put any year at all but I think year of completion only seems most logical if you do put one.

gbrasch
03-25-2017, 08:14 AM
I was wondering what people put for year or date of their build. Would you use start date or finish date? Format, month/year?

Finish date, year only.

martymayes
03-25-2017, 09:28 AM
Of course, you can certainly include whatever additional info you want, and from the selection of pre-made data plates out there (and what goes on certified aircraft) lots of people seem to go crazy.

but otherwise I'd keep it simple.

Yup, what's required by reg. Nothing more, nothing less.

Blue750
03-25-2017, 12:17 PM
OK, I'm liking this version. Year of manufacture is one of the first things I usually look for when kicking around the"boneyard" or various airfields, etc.

or this one

cluttonfred
03-25-2017, 04:20 PM
Why the need to put max gross on data plate? Otherwise looks fine to me.

Blue750
03-25-2017, 08:52 PM
Was trying to convey via the dataplate that this is the latest version with design increase to higher gross weight. But, I guess whoever needs to know can get that thru the operator's manual. Probably same as completion date?

crusty old aviator
03-25-2017, 09:51 PM
The dog tag would work well for the ID plate on the tail cone. Sailplane manufacturers place data plates on all the major subassemblies. If you were to follow their lead, you could have dog tags riveted to everything.
I used to scuba dive with an ex-B-52 jock named Max Gross. His body count is probably much higher than 1440 though, considering where LBJ and Nixon had him carpet bombing.

Sam Buchanan
03-26-2017, 07:24 AM
In regard to serial number, I use the number assigned to the plans or kit by the kit or plans vendor. This allows the vendor to offer background or specific support info to a subsequent owner of the aircraft.

rwanttaja
03-26-2017, 10:49 AM
In regard to serial number, I use the number assigned to the plans or kit by the kit or plans vendor. This allows the vendor to offer background or specific support info to a subsequent owner of the aircraft.
You see that a lot in the Fly Baby world. Pete Bowers used to assign a document number based on the year the plans were sold, with a sequential number for each plan set. About half the currently-active Fly Babies show that scheme.

Ron Wanttaja

Blue750
03-26-2017, 09:07 PM
That makes perfect sense to me now - after I registered the plane with S/N: 001 (this is my first build). Will look into the hassle factor associated with changing to the number associated with the plans if it is even a possibility!

cluttonfred
03-26-2017, 10:53 PM
Bud Evans used a similar serial number scheme: V1- or V2- depending on the Volksplane model followed by the two-digit month, two-digit year and initials of the plans purchaser. So if John Smith bought VP-1 plans today the number would be V1-0317JS. While VP-2 plans are no longer sold and are available free online, I did track down an original set and bought them from a gentleman in Montreal who'd had them since 1981. I plan to use that serial number.

1600vw
03-27-2017, 04:54 AM
I have purchased a couple HB that had serial number 001 for this was the first kit the builder built. If it was me, I would use the serial number the kit manufacturer uses. One of these examples was a Rans. Now years later when I look back at paper work for these airplanes, I can not go by serial numbers for more then one had the same serial number. I must go by manufacturer or N number if it had an N number.

Tony

Blue750
03-27-2017, 07:54 AM
Great discussion and feedback! Thanks everyone for chiming in.

Anyone know the process for changing the S/N on a currently registered aircraft (EAB)...did a review of the registration process on the FAA website...not particularly enlightening!

Dave

Edit- here is what has to be done in my particular case with no Airworthiness Certificate issued as of yet... after talking with FAA at the Registration Branch...

Create an Amendment Affidavit, notarize, submit AC-8050 with updated change(s), include $5. I also submitted a cover letter explaining what I was doing and why.

FearTheH
05-03-2017, 02:05 PM
This is a great thread. I'm surprised the FAA only wants 5 bucks to make the change of serial number for you! Lol

Blue750
05-09-2017, 12:16 PM
Evidently the FAA liked my paperwork and $5 - new registration with different registration number in hand!!

Dave