PDA

View Full Version : Which LSA to build?

Jack H
11-11-2011, 11:42 AM
I am a Vari-eze builder, Ercoupe and straight tail 172 owner who wants a new project. I seek advice on what LSA to build. Here are some of my criteria.

Plans build or kit (I want to build it, not design it, not that smart)
Tube and fabric (return to our roots)
High wing, enclosed, door (think J3, Pacer, etc.)
Single seat with baggage space (so maybe two-place)
LSA
Low empty weight, 1320 gross, 300 NM practical range, faster the better (of course)

Any recommendations?

Dave Prizio
11-11-2011, 12:04 PM
Some tube and fabric kits worth considering include:

Texas Sport Cub (Legend), CubCrafters Carbon Cub EX, RANS S-7S, Wag Aero Sport Trainer, Just Highlander, and Dakota Cubs (LSA-eligible model). Some of these will be hard pressed to make it 300 NM unless you add some extra fuel capacity, and none is very fast, but they meet your other criteria.

If you want fast, remember there is a 120 knot CAS speed limit, the RV-12 or the Arion Lightning would be worth looking at.

Dave Prizio

HighWing
11-14-2011, 01:29 PM
Jack,
A little prejudice here for sure, but from your needs, you have perfectly described a Kitfox - either the Model IV or the LSA designated Series 7 or anything in between if you do the final build and designate the Max gross wt. If you don't need to be within the Sport Pilot limits, the 7 has a design max gross weight of 1550 lbs. and will allow all the camping gear you will ever need on board plus a friend. With the LSA version, if built carefully, you can still have about 500 lbs of useful load. Either will easily fly the 300 NM if you can. In my experience they can be on the faster side of the tube and fabric spectrum.
Lowell

MrMorden
11-15-2011, 07:41 AM
Sounds like a Highlander to me.

WWhunter
11-15-2011, 09:39 AM
Dave Prizio pretty much listed the better choices along with the mentioned Kitfox. I have looked at all the above mentioned and they definitely run the gamut of price from the ubber expensive Carbon cub to easily found Kitfox. I have seen a lot of Kitfox kits that are for sale for rediculuosly low prices. I am looking at and still contemplating buying a Kitfox I know of that has also been sitting for quite awhile. The owner told me to go ahead and fly it......ah, NO!!! The workmanship is terrible. It is in DIRE need of a total rebuild and the guy is asking $15K. It has a Rotax 912 80hp so even if it would require more funds than it is worth I could possibly part it out and at least recoup my investment (maybe). Probably one of the most underrated planes out there as far as value is concerned.
I have flown in several of the kits mentioned and they are all good flyers. I ended up getting a RANS S-7 for a pretty decent price. It had under 150 hrs TT and was sitting for 11+ years unflown. Granted it needed a little TLC but was essentially extremely well built.
If money were no object I would build a Carbon Cub, other than that most of them are pretty similar in performance. Most of these little two seater side by side models are 'tight' for two people. The tandem models seem to have much more room.
Keith

buz1
11-15-2011, 06:57 PM
Hi buz1 from Me. I have flown in a skyranger up here and it was an excellent plane, tube & fabric. The owner had recently made a trip to Fl. & back in the plane and didn't have any problems. I guess that the kit build time is fast, and the fabric is pre done wings fuselage and tail sections. Worth a look on line.

Kurt
11-16-2011, 08:20 AM
Highlander, Except for the "faster" part...

Trackwelder
11-20-2011, 02:34 PM
How about the Buttercup? the nly airplane that Steve Wittman Designed that flew faster than he planned. check out www.Luceair.com

Jack H
11-24-2011, 11:37 AM
Thanks guys, lots of suggestions, I now need to sit down and do my homework. Jack