PDA

View Full Version : Pilot's Creed...Found at Good-Will

1600vw
02-18-2017, 10:11 AM
Some years ago my wife found this at our local Good-Will store and picked it up for me. It now hangs on my wall.

gbrasch
02-18-2017, 10:51 AM
Very cool, wonder who wrote it...

rwanttaja
02-18-2017, 11:39 AM
Very cool, wonder who wrote it...

I'm guessing it came from the "Air Adventures of Jimmy Allen" radio show from the 1930s. The book, "Radio Crime Fighters: More Than 300 Programs from the Golden Age" says one of the premiums the show's fans could get was "a pilot's creed". The above text sounds like it's from the 1930s; you don't see "tradewinds" in an aviation context very often.

I see Sporty's sells "A Pilot's Creed" sign.

Ron Wanttaja

Mike M
02-18-2017, 07:00 PM
Thank you for sharing. It's very cute. Especially, "I KNOW that the upper trade winds, as they blow, may slow my progress through the sky while they enhance the ground speed of another on the opposite heading, but that I may benefit on the return flight."

On a triangular series of legs I swear there's a headwind on all three courses :(

Mayhemxpc
02-18-2017, 07:09 PM
The creed is spot on in saying that the headwinds slow you down now but MIGHT (may) help you on the way back. Classic pilot mindset. Reality tempered by hope.

rwanttaja
02-18-2017, 07:20 PM
Thank you for sharing. It's very cute. Especially, "I KNOW that the upper trade winds, as they blow, may slow my progress through the sky while they enhance the ground speed of another on the opposite heading, but that I may benefit on the return flight."

On a triangular series of legs I swear there's a headwind on all three courses :(
Well...there's a lot of truth in that. In reality, any wind is bad on a round trip. Yes, it might help you on the way back, but you'll never make up the time you lost on the into-the-wind leg.

Ron Wanttaja