PDA

View Full Version : New Book: "You Can Afford To Be A Pilot" Paperback & Digital, Great for Sport Pilots

Barnstorm
11-10-2011, 02:40 PM
Hello Everyone!

Here is my shameless plug for my book. Please keep in mind I did not write this book to make money but to make PILOTS. MORE than all of the proceeds from this book go to promote sport aviation.

http://www.youcanaffordtobeapilot.com/

http://www.youcanaffordtobeapilot.com/Medium Cover Jpeg.jpg

(http://www.youcanaffordtobeapilot.com/)
The new book from CFI/CTT Timothy O'Connor aims to not only bring more candidates into aviation but more importantly to give these students the knowledge and tools they need to beat the odds and successfully become a certified pilot. Entering a student pilot program can seem daunting, and without a good guide many people never get past an introductory ride. You Can Afford To Be A Pilot gives students the knowledge and power to break down the most common barriers to completing a pilot certificate including expense, poor instructors, lack of procedural support and more.

Unlike any other book or publication, You Can Afford to be a Pilot takes the reader on a complete tour of the pilot training and certification process from the perspectives of the instructor, examiner and student from the point of initial interest through becoming a fully certified pilot.
This new book also aims to open the door to flight for those who thought they could not afford to fly. The fact is flying can be done by people of middle-class means and this book is a convincing guide to make the dream of flight attainable.

Current Reviews from Amazon.com:

http://www.amazon.com/You-Can-Afford-Be-Pilot/dp/1456408151/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top

5.0 out of 5 stars You Can Afford To Be A Pilot: How To Become A Pilot And Fly For Fun On A Middle Income Budget, November 5, 2011
By
Geoff Rigney -

Amazon Verified Purchase

This review is from: You Can Afford To Be A Pilot: How To Become A Pilot And Fly For Fun On A Middle Income Budget (Paperback)
If you have ever heard the words "THAT'S AN EXPENSIVE HOBBY" and felt discouraged when you've mentioned your desire to become a pilot to someone who knows someone...who knows someone else who thinks they know something, this book is a must read for you. Especially if you consider yourself too fugal or practical for such a lofty pursuit. Tim O'Conner is someone who really does know something on the matter. In the quick easy to read book, Tim dispells many of the myths common among the uninformed, while walking out the possibilities and options available for becoming involved in recreational or sport flying. After finishing this book, you will likely walk away encouraged. You may even find yourself on the otherside of the fence at your local airport asking more questions and finding even more encouragement to take that introductory flight. I did and now I'm hooked! I have a logbook! I can't help but talk about it every chance I get. When the next person says to me "THAT'S AN EXPENSIVE HOBBY", I'll have an extra copy of this book ready to hand them. Especially if I've caught them dreamy eyed and tracking a small plane across the sky.

5.0 out of 5 stars you can afford it, September 7, 2011
By
kevinringostein
Amazon Verified Purchase

This review is from: You Can Afford To Be A Pilot: How To Become A Pilot And Fly For Fun On A Middle Income Budget (Paperback)
you can judge this book by it's cover. except the photo. that's just funny. this guy inspired me

5.0 out of 5 stars The voice of experience, September 7, 2011
By
Robert Buels

Amazon Verified Purchase

As a brand new pilot, I found a lot of wisdom in here about using your aviation dollar wisely, but also lots of other useful tips! Highly recommended!

5.0 out of 5 stars A great investment for the pilot on a budget, August 8, 2011
By
Eric Marsh

Amazon Verified Purchase

I first heard about "You Can Afford to Be a Pilot" when the author mentioned it on the EAA web site. I bought the book but didn't start reading it
until recently. Now that I'm almost finished reading it I have to say that it's got a lot of great tips, many of which go well beyond what I expected.
Examples include tips and tricks for passing the FAA exams, what to avoid when purchasing a used aircraft and how to keep the cost of owning an
aircraft to a minimum. It's also well written and I found it to be an entertaining read as well. Thumbs up on this one!

5.0 out of 5 stars If you are Serious about Flying this is a must Read ! !, January 5, 2011
By
Gary J. M -

I have given serious consideration in presenting my opinion on your book. After reading it, it's clear to me that this book can make a significant impact
on student pilots, whether they are new to the sport, or further along in preparation for FAA examination. I found the subject matter very well written,
allowing the reader to clearly visualize in one's mind's eye what the author was conveying.
Over the years I have had many experiences with aviation professionals, including the US Navy Blue Angels, who exhibit a level of expertise that
private industry can only try to emulate. I perceived a similarity that some of the training concepts and subject matter in this book were on par with
that kind of professionalism.

What else needs to be said?!

Eric Marsh
11-12-2011, 04:44 PM
I got a copy after you posted about it on the previous board. Good book. It convinced me to buy a used airplane.

Barnstorm
11-13-2011, 09:04 AM
Thank you Eric!

It is great to know I was able to help!

Eric Marsh
11-14-2011, 06:38 PM
:-)

Seriously, purchasing a used aircraft has cut my hourly expense about in half when compared to a rental. Of course if you don't fly enough that annual when averaged over all those hours is going to make those savings disappear (and there's also hangar fees). But the aircraft itself is going to hold it's value as long as I don't damage it and I really feel much better about flying my airplane instead of someone else's. The bottom line is that I can afford to fly more than once a week and I think I would find it difficult to do so if I was renting. As an added benefit, I don't know why but now that I'm flying my own airplane I've found that my skill set is progressing much faster too.