PDA

View Full Version : Homebuilt Fleet Sizes

rwanttaja
01-08-2017, 03:46 PM
This table shows the number of particular homebuilt types that were registered as of 3 January 2017. The value is the fleet size at the end of the labeled year.

Type

Count

Air Command

Aventura

Avid

Baby/Junior Ace

Bede BD-4

Bede BD-5

Benson Gyro

Bowers Fly Baby

Challenger

Christen Eagle

Glasair

GlaStar/Sportsman

Harmon Rocket

Hatz

Kitfox

Kolb (Ex-AB)

Lancair (All Models)

Lancair IV

Midget Mustang

Murphy

Pietenpol

Pitts (EX-AB)

Pulsar/KIS

Quickie/Q2/Q200

Quicksilver EX-AB

RAF-2000 Gyro

Rand KR-2

RANS

Rotorway

Rutan Long-EZ

Rutan Varieze

SeaRey

Sonerai

Sonex

Steen Skybolt

Stolp

Stolp Starduster

Thorp T-18

Vans RV-3

Vans RV-4

Vans RV-6

Vans RV-7

Vans RV-8

Vans RV-9

Vans RV-10

Vans RV-12 (EX-AB)

Velocity

Volksplane

Zenair EX-AB

Ron Wanttaja

Auburntsts
01-08-2017, 06:08 PM
I'm guessing you pulled this data from the FAA registry by make which will exclude non-standard registrations (e.g. Van's RV-7 vs. Bob Smith Special 7)? I ask because the Van's numbers, and most likely other makes are low-- I estimate by possibly as much as 20%. For example, your data shows only 453 RV-10s while Vans site shows 819 self reported first flights--that's a pretty big discrepancy.

gbrasch
01-08-2017, 06:17 PM
Interesting, to add to Todd's comment, here are the numbers from Van's site:

As of January 6, 2017 9,582 RV aircraft have been completed and flown!

Listed by Model

RV-3

RV-4

RV-6/6A

RV-7/7A

RV-8/8A

RV-9/9A

RV-10

RV-12

RV-14/14A

rwanttaja
01-08-2017, 07:07 PM
I'm guessing you pulled this data from the FAA registry by make which will exclude non-standard registrations (e.g. Van's RV-7 vs. Bob Smith Special 7)? I ask because the Van's numbers, and most likely other makes are low-- I estimate by possibly as much as 20%. For example, your data shows only 453 RV-10s while Vans site shows 819 self reported first flights--that's a pretty big discrepancy.

I try to find non-standard registrations as much as I can... for the RV-10, for instance, I use:

Like "*RV-10*" Or Like "*RV 10*" Or Like "*RV10*" Or Like "*VANS 10*" It certainly doesn't catch the "Joes Ten" registrations, but its unknown how often those sorts of variations are made.

If anyone has an N-Number list, I'd be happy to run them against the master list to hopefully improve my type filters.

Also, I suspect Vans' list includes:
- Foreign-registered RVs, and
- US RVs that have been deregistered

...which mine doesn't. There are, for instance, about 350 RV-6s that have been removed from the registry. These will include both destroyed/abandoned aircraft as well as those exported to other countries. 22 RV-10s are listed on the deregistered list, of which 15 have been exported.

Ron Wanttaja

rwanttaja
01-08-2017, 07:11 PM
Also, for the RV-12, I list ONLY those registered as Experimental Amateur-Built. My database shows 523 RV-12s of all certifications.

Ron Wanttaja

Auburntsts
01-08-2017, 08:52 PM
I try to find non-standard registrations as much as I can... for the RV-10, for instance, I use:

Like "*RV-10*" Or Like "*RV 10*" Or Like "*RV10*" Or Like "*VANS 10*" It certainly doesn't catch the "Joes Ten" registrations, but its unknown how often those sorts of variations are made.

If anyone has an N-Number list, I'd be happy to run them against the master list to hopefully improve my type filters.

Also, I suspect Vans' list includes:
- Foreign-registered RVs, and
- US RVs that have been deregistered

...which mine doesn't. There are, for instance, about 350 RV-6s that have been removed from the registry. These will include both destroyed/abandoned aircraft as well as those exported to other countries. 22 RV-10s are listed on the deregistered list, of which 15 have been exported.

Ron Wanttaja

Dang, how could I miss the obvious about the foreign builds? Of course you are correct and that explains the discrepancy.

1600vw
01-09-2017, 06:40 AM
I don't see one Fisher Airplane. I know of three that are registered and flying today. I own one. I am sure there are a lot more then the three I know about. Maybe Fisher was left out for a reason that I do not know about.

rwanttaja
01-09-2017, 09:52 AM
I don't see one Fisher Airplane. I know of three that are registered and flying today. I own one. I am sure there are a lot more then the three I know about. Maybe Fisher was left out for a reason that I do not know about.
All aircraft types are extracted using a filter process that has to be set up manually. They do not automatically "pop out." If an aircraft type is not shown, it's because I haven't set up the appropriate filters for it.

Best I can do with my Fisher filters is 149 total aircraft. Of those, 96 are definitely Experimental Amateur-Built, 34 have ambiguous certification (none listed in the FAA registration entry), and 17 are Experimental Light Sport (which wouldn't be included in my EAB list).

Ron Wanttaja

DaleB
01-09-2017, 10:56 AM
All aircraft types are extracted using a filter process that has to be set up manually. They do not automatically "pop out." If an aircraft type is not shown, it's because I haven't set up the appropriate filters for it.

Best I can do with my Fisher filters is 149 total aircraft. Of those, 96 are definitely Experimental Amateur-Built, 34 have ambiguous certification (none listed in the FAA registration entry), and 17 are Experimental Light Sport (which wouldn't be included in my EAB list).

Ron WanttajaThat's interesting. I was under the impression that a Light Sport certificate was for E-LSA airplanes, for which none of the Fishers would qualify. They can be Experimental, and they can meet Light Sport Aircraft limits, but they can't be registered as E-LSA. Unless you get a DAR who makes a mistake, and apparently those just never get corrected. I think there has been a fair amount of confusion and inconsistency around the Light Sport rules. For example, I own an RV-12 that was built and is registered as E-LSA... but the manufacturer is listed as the builder, not Van's as should be listed.

I can see why it's such a challenge to produce anything more than general results, or comarative year by year results from that database. There is very little consistency and almost no absolutes thay apply across the board.

rwanttaja
01-09-2017, 11:23 AM
That's interesting. I was under the impression that a Light Sport certificate was for E-LSA airplanes, for which none of the Fishers would qualify. They can be Experimental, and they can meet Light Sport Aircraft limits, but they can't be registered as E-LSA. Unless you get a DAR who makes a mistake, and apparently those just never get corrected. I think there has been a fair amount of confusion and inconsistency around the Light Sport rules. For example, I own an RV-12 that was built and is registered as E-LSA.

You're absolutely correct...the way the rules are now. An airplane can be registered as Experimental Light Sport only if the kit maker goes through the process to get approval of an example of the aircraft under the Consensus standards

However, when the Light Sport process was implemented, there was a transition process. For instance, they allowed non-Part 103 compliant aircraft register as Experimental Light Sport without requiring showing compliance with ASTM standards.

At the same time, they allowed ANY homebuilt aircraft, not yet certified, to be licensed as Experimental Light Sport aircraft if it met the Part 1 definition. A number of homebuilders took advantage of the window (IIRC, it was about 18 months long) and licensed traditional homebuilts as ELSA. I was actually contemplating buying a Fly Baby project at the time, to license it as ELSA.

I strongly suspect that most, if not all, of those Fishers fell under that category. I don't have access to my database at the moment, but I believe all the Fisher LSAs I saw were the transition certification category. It's either 48A or 48B (48C is for aircraft transitioned from SLSA to ELSA).

Ron Wanttaja

1600vw
01-10-2017, 06:00 AM
Ron thanks for explaining this. My Fisher is registered as an EAB. Experimental Amateur Built, I believe anyway.

Tony