PDA

View Full Version : Sport Aviation Bob Hoover

Bob Kopeika
11-29-2016, 10:44 PM
I hope this was not the best EAA could do in December's Sport Aviation. A half page article on the best pilot the world will ever see. Very disappointed. What are your thoughts?..

rwanttaja
11-29-2016, 11:35 PM
I hope this was not the best EAA could do in December's Sport Aviation. A half page article on the best pilot the world will ever see. Very disappointed. What are your thoughts?..
Takes time to produce the magazine. Typical production cycle for a traditional publication is three months. Remember, it's a hard-copy publication, so not only do they have to build the magazine, they have to have an outside company print, assemble, and mail it. I'm writing my annual accident article for SA again this year...it'll be in the March issue, but they need my article and artwork by the end of December, at the latest. Even at that, they're holding space for it. Note when AirVenture occurs, vs. when the magazine actually prints the full feature article on it.

Hoover died only a few weeks back. I'm guessing EAA had a convenient space in the magazine that they could replace with a short article. I'm sure they'll bring a more in-depth piece in an upcoming issue. They'll probably bounce my article.... :-)

Ron "Guess I'll have to take that shift at McDonalds after all" Wanttaja

Glory Aulik
11-30-2016, 10:09 AM

Hi Bob!

Ron hit the nail on the head. It was a very quick turnaround for the December edition of Sport Aviation, but we are already working on a larger piece for a later issue.

Cheers,
Glory

Tom Charpentier
11-30-2016, 10:29 AM
To Ron's and Glory's point, my department has one of the latest deadlines for magazine submission, because we try to cover the latest details of our work, and that deadline is usually the first of the month that we publish (for a magazine dated the following month). A monthly magazine is a tough format for covering breaking news - even when Paul passed away, our memorial issue wasn't until October after his death in August. It's worth taking the time to do it right.

We did publish an initial web story within a day or two of Bob's passing; See here: http://www.eaa.org/en/eaa/eaa-news-and-aviation-news/news/10-25-2016-bob-hoover-legendary-pilot-dies-at-age-94