PDA

View Full Version : EAA Director Killed in Crash

gbrasch
11-18-2016, 08:27 AM
From AvWeb: EAA Vintage Director Killed In Jenny Crash (http://www.avweb.com/avwebflash/news/EAA-Vintage-Director-Killed-In-Jenny-Crash-228056-1.html)By Russ Niles

http://cdn.avweb.com/media/newspics/170/p1b1qubhofjns1r6b1f091ff91cgn6.JPG

EAA Vintage Aircraft Association board of directors member Ron Alexander was killed Thursday in the crash of his recently restored Curtiss Jenny at Peach Tree Airport in Williamson, Georgia. An unidentified passenger was also killed. A local newspaper is reporting that the passenger was an FAA official but that has not been confirmed. Initial reports suggest the aircraft encountered some kind of difficulty on takeoff. It crashed in a wooded area and caught fire. First responders rushed to the scene but were unable to save the occupants.
Alexander founded Alexander Aeroplane Company, which was later sold to Aircraft Spruce. He had restored a Stearman in addition to the Jenny. He also established the Candler Field Museum at Peach Tree Airport. Alexander was an ex-military pilot who retired a captain with Delta after 33 years in 2002.

RIP Ron (why didn't we hear this first from EAA?)

FlyingRon
11-18-2016, 09:15 AM
Avweb purports to be a news organization. EAA is not.

It's a great loss.

martymayes
11-18-2016, 09:50 AM
The information I got was there was a backfire from the engine that started a fire. There was eyewitness confirmation that flames were visible as the airplane was maneuvered back toward the airport. Also heard the passenger was an FAA employee.

Very sad event.

Mark van Wyk
11-18-2016, 11:55 AM

http://www.eaa.org/en/eaa/eaa-news-and-aviation-news/news/11-18-2016-eaa-mourns-death-of-vaa-director-ron-alexander

Frank Giger
11-18-2016, 04:23 PM
Condolences to his family.

1600vw
11-18-2016, 04:27 PM
R.I.P. Prayers to family and friends.

Sirota
11-19-2016, 09:54 PM
God Speed Ron

Glory Aulik
11-21-2016, 08:57 AM

Hello!

Our news release was sent out early Friday morning.

http://www.eaa.org/en/eaa/eaa-news-and-aviation-news/news/11-18-2016-eaa-mourns-death-of-vaa-director-ron-alexander

Byron J. Covey
11-21-2016, 09:10 AM
Hello!

Our news release was sent out early Friday morning.

Glory:

Saw that sad news early Friday.

I very seldom go to the EAA web site; this forum is my primary portal into the EAA and to many of my fellow members.

Please consider automatically post a copy of all news releases to a thread here on the forum. The thread could be titled "EAA News" and should be a thread that can not be replied to. That should be quick and easy to set up, and would serve many of us well. Remember, it is better to over-communicate than to under-comminucate.

Thanks,

BJC

Bill Greenwood
11-21-2016, 12:04 PM
The deaths are a tragedy. I dont see the point of making a complaint about what news media it was first posted on.
None of that changes the loss. I m sure there are more important things to focus on.
I didnt know them but I'll bet the relatives are not helped by making any controversy over it.

Floatsflyer
11-21-2016, 03:39 PM

I very seldom go to the EAA web site; this forum is my primary portal into the EAA and to many of my fellow members.

Please consider automatically post a copy of all news releases to a thread here on the forum. The thread could be titled "EAA News" and should be a thread that can not be replied to. That should be quick and easy to set up, and would serve many of us well. Remember, it is better to over-communicate than to under-comminucate.

Thanks,

BJC

Let me make sure I understand your request of EAA. You want them to duplicate all press releases posted on the EAA website by ensuring they are also posted on the EAA Forum because you "seldom" go to the website. EAA should do this for you because you are:
A) too lazy to type 3 key strokes
B) amazingly entitled
C)a minority of one
D)royalty
E)egomaniacal

Choose all that apply and submit to no one in particular because your request is absurd and over reaching.

Glory Aulik
11-22-2016, 09:09 AM
Glory:

Thanks,

BJC

Hi Byron,

I appreciate your feedback, however, there are multiple outlets to receive our many news releases. One of our most popular is our weekly e-newsletter, eHotline. I also post most news releases to Facebook as soon as they are released and of course, the news section on our website which is updated immediately. I understand that the EAA Forums is your main source of information, but there are quicker and more efficient ways of receiving this information that reaches a broader spectrum of our audience. We try our best to get the word out about important news updates as best we can.

I appreciate your understanding.

Let me make sure I understand your request of EAA. You want them to duplicate all press releases posted on the EAA website by ensuring they are also posted on the EAA Forum because you "seldom" go to the website. EAA should do this for you because you are:
A) too lazy to type 3 key strokes
B) amazingly entitled
C)a minority of one
D)royalty
E)egomaniacal

Choose all that apply and submit to no one in particular because your request is absurd and over reaching.

Can't we all be friends? I agree that the request to post all news releases on the EAA Forums is out of reach, especially as we try to get the word out where we can, as best we can, and that doesn't always include the Forums. But... it was just a request. Everyone is entitled to providing feedback, suggestions, ideas, etc., and I openly accept them although I may not always be able to accommodate them.

There is no reason to present a personal attack for a thought you disagree with and serves no place on the EAA Forums.

I don't know about you guys, but I would like to open my "new posts" thread every morning and not dread the fires I will have to put out.

Cheers,
Glory

Floatsflyer
11-22-2016, 01:17 PM
Glory,

Yes, we can and are all friends with a common interest that bonds us all. But sometimes personal interests want to overtake the common general interests and that results in differences of opinion which of course should not be stifled but encouraged because it culminates in healthy debate. I did not think I was engaging in a personal attack. I was not responding to the actual request of the poster but to his raison d'être for the request which I found upsetting.

Anyways, provide me with the benefit of the doubt as I am suffering from the prolonged influences and impacts of DT Syndrome, a very recently diagnosed medical condition for which I have sought out counselling. These are militant times. Everyone is eager to join a team.Everyone has a strong opinion. Everyone is mad about something. Wish me well.