PDA

View Full Version : Antenna Question

exftrplt
10-20-2016, 12:01 PM
We are planning on installing an antenna with an antenna lead to connect to a handheld in 3 L-Birds. Any recommendations as to top or bottom antenna location? The ignition system on these airplanes is not shielded. I presume some form of ground plane will be required. Any thoughts on this project?

1600vw
10-20-2016, 01:30 PM
I use this antenna. It was a simple hookup or install. Nothing special needed and it works great. I did mount mine horizontally and it works ok. But these work best mounted vertical or so they say. Like I said I have no issue with mine mounted vertical.

http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/avpages/antennasystems.php

raymo
10-20-2016, 01:48 PM
The one recommended by 1600vw does not require a ground plane. It is built into the antenna. Bottom mounting typically works better when flying and top mounting better when on the ground.

1600vw
10-21-2016, 06:24 AM
The nice thing about the antenna I posted, it covers all area's without a dead spot above or bellow the airplane. You do need a wooden framed airplane to use this style of antenna.

exftrplt
10-22-2016, 10:46 AM
I should have mentioned that the L2, L3, and L4 all have steel tube fuselages covered with fabric.

Dana
10-22-2016, 12:40 PM
On my Kolb I mounted the handheld's original rubber duck antenna on the bottom of the fuselage with an extension cable. My Fisher came with a wire antenna like this one (http://www.aircraftspruce.com/pages/av/antenna_com/av534.php) mounted on top of the upper wing center section. Both worked just fine.

Eric Brown
12-24-2016, 08:37 PM
On my L-3C, I installed an aluminum ground plain plate on the top of the fuselage just aft of the observation window. The plate was installed under the fabric using rubber lined Adel clamps. The larger the plate, the better. A bonding wire was connected from the plate to a fuselage tube by drilling a hole in the tube for a #4 screw and a crimp type wire ring terminal. My L-3 was equipped with wind driven generator and a motorcycle battery to power the radio.