PDA

View Full Version : YE Times they are a changing.

Rick Rademacher
09-12-2016, 07:09 PM
Because of my aircraft registration lapsing, the need for a biennial flight review, the controversial changes to the YE program and just doing other things, I had not flow a YE in over a year. As I am now legal to fly and approved by EAA, yesterday I flew my first YE for this year. It was his first flight in an aircraft and the first time I experienced these things happening.

I enjoy taking first timers up because of their reaction to seeing the earth from on high. This 13 year old's comment was “It looks just like seeing things on Google Earth”. That’s the first time I had heard that from a YE. Because of his familiarity with viewing things on Google Earth, he seemed to more easily recognize his location and landmarks from above.

He asked if his cell phone would work in the plane. I didn’t think any more about it until we landed and he states that he texted his friends to watch for us to overfly their houses. That’s my first time having a YE texting from the Cub.

Having flown over 400 YE flights, the times are changing and we must address these new realities.

Floatsflyer
09-12-2016, 08:06 PM
Yup, every generation presents new challenges and opportunities. You can be hip to it or ignore it at your peril. Love your anthem thread title.

....and don't criticize what you can't understand
your sons and your daughters are beyond your command
your old road is rapidly agin'
for the times they are a-changin'.

DaleB
09-12-2016, 10:12 PM
I flew a 16 year old high school girl yesterday. as we leveled off she asked if it was OK if she took a picture with her cell phone. "Of course", I told her. She got a shot of the view out the canopy, and I asked if she wanted to fly for a while.

Didn't see the phone again.

:)

Copapilot
09-13-2016, 06:51 PM
Just remember, although the FAA no longer cares if you use a cellular device while flying, the FCC still prohibits the use of any cellular device while airborne (not touching the ground)! Here's the link to the applicable CFR:

http://www.ecfr.gov/cgi-bin/text-idx?rgn=div8&node=47:2.0.1.1.2.8.27.12

The fine is up to $250,000.00 and cancellation of the device's ESN. The aircraft operator is responsible for compliance.

The prohibition applies to ANY radio transceiver operating in the terrestrial cellular radio spectrum, including the 2G, 3G, 4G, LTE, etc. data-only transceiver in your iPad, but NOT to sat-phone type devices that link by direct satellite comm.. I was told by an FCC investigator that the prohibition has to do with "frequency spread" and interference with cell tower switching, not any concern over navigation interference, which is why the FCC also still requires that all cell devices sold in the U.S. have an "airplane mode" that deactivates the transceiver while leaving all the other "pocket computer" functions enabled.

FWIW

TomBush
09-13-2016, 08:28 PM
Just remember, although the FAA no longer cares if you use a cellular device while flying, the FCC still prohibits the use of any cellular device while airborne (not touching the ground)! Here's the link to the applicable CFR:

http://www.ecfr.gov/cgi-bin/text-idx?rgn=div8&node=47:2.0.1.1.2.8.27.12

The fine is up to $250,000.00 and cancellation of the device's ESN. The aircraft operator is responsible for compliance.

The prohibition applies to ANY radio transceiver operating in the terrestrial cellular radio spectrum, including the 2G, 3G, 4G, LTE, etc. data-only transceiver in your iPad, but NOT to sat-phone type devices that link by direct satellite comm.. I was told by an FCC investigator that the prohibition has to do with "frequency spread" and interference with cell tower switching, not any concern over navigation interference, which is why the FCC also still requires that all cell devices sold in the U.S. have an "airplane mode" that deactivates the transceiver while leaving all the other "pocket computer" functions enabled.

FWIW

That's all handy and correct info I'm sure, but totally unenforceable. I can guarantee you that at least a third of the PAX on every airline flight go from point A to B with their phones in the 'normal' mode. And yet the sky remains aloft, the earth remains on its axis, and the communist hoards remain at bay. . .

dougbush
09-13-2016, 10:59 PM
Has anyone been fined for using a cellular device while airborne? How often does it occur?

FlyingRon
09-14-2016, 05:03 AM
Has anyone been fined for using a cellular device while airborne? How often does it occur?
I'm not even sure that section of the FCC rules applies anymore. it only was written into the AMPS regulations.

Mark van Wyk
09-14-2016, 03:03 PM
Because of my aircraft registration lapsing, the need for a biennial flight review, the controversial changes to the YE program and just doing other things, I had not flow a YE in over a year. As I am now legal to fly and approved by EAA, yesterday I flew my first YE for this year...
Thanks for sharing your story. Like you, I completed the simple Youth Protection Program background check and flew Young Eagles earlier this year. Glad to hear the program is going fine.
Here's a good article about actor Harrison Ford flying the symbolic 2 millionth Young Eagle:
http://www.eaa.org/en/airventure/eaa-airventure-news-and-multimedia/eaa-airventure-news/eaa-airventure-oshkosh/07-28-2016-2-million-and-counting?mkt_tok=eyJpIjoiWkRFNU5UVTNOV1JtWlRFdyIsI nQiOiJXVXhQM2N4ejZkRG84WGIrR2FMRVcyakdYWWxkNU9ob3N FNmx6M2lraGxyNjVwYXZISjc0bGFRU3h0VmttWTc5K2xzRDUyN UMyc1NqU3IzZ0E4YWlPR1JwZXl0dTNYMncxaWdUVStDemhQcz0 ifQ%3D%3D