PDA

View Full Version : More Amelia Earhart Story

Bill Greenwood
09-10-2016, 09:08 AM
In the news today, more from Ric Gillespie, TIGHAR, about Amelia. Pretty much the same claim, that she landed on Nikumora Is. and became a castaway. About the only semblance of a fact is his claim that some radio signals were picked up that must have come from her, one supposedly by a teenage girl in Florida! Ric claims that she must have been running the engine after landing to power the radio! Think of the liikelhood of this, finding a tiny island, making a good enough landing so that the plane would be sitting on its gear in order to run an engine, despite the message saying they were injured. But no trace of the plane has ever been found.
TIGHAR, the int group for historical aircraft " RECOVERY", as for as I know has never recovered any historical aircraft. But they can sure twist a good yarn.
The latest trip to look for Amelia will be in submarines!
I have followed the Amelia story with some depth and think the likelhood of them ditching at sea is 90% with a small possiblity of finding another island and being captured by Japanese soldiers. no real evidence of either.

Floatsflyer
09-10-2016, 10:32 AM
That TIGHAR news today is same old, same old.

Bill, you must have missed the more earth shattering recent press release and tweet put out by Trump today. Trump said, "I know where Amelia Earhart is, I'm the only one in the entire world who does. And on day one, on day one folks, I'm going to go get her and prove she's alive. I'm telling you this is going to be a great find and it's going to be tremendous, just tremendous folks, trust me, trust me......

wyoranch
09-10-2016, 03:20 PM

Bill, you must have missed the more earth shattering recent press release and tweet put out by Trump today. Trump said, "I know where Amelia Earhart is, I'm the only one in the entire world who does. And on day one, on day one folks, I'm going to go get her and prove she's alive. I'm telling you this is going to be a great find and it's going to be tremendous, just tremendous folks, trust me, trust me......
Floats,
Please do your research. The quote ended in " Believe me, believe me" ;-)
Rck

Floatsflyer
09-10-2016, 03:47 PM
Floats,
Please do your research. The quote ended in " Believe me, believe me" ;-)
Rck

Thank you for the correction. You'd think I'd know by now the crap script this guy expells.

Kyle Boatright
09-10-2016, 08:05 PM
Thank you for the correction. You'd think I'd know by now the crap script this guy expells.

As long as there's a buck to be made, TIGHAR will continue seeking free press and OPM.

FlyingRon
09-10-2016, 08:57 PM
Every time TIGHAR runs short of funds, it seems, they find a new piece of information that positively identifies where she was. Press release, request for more money.

1600vw
09-11-2016, 04:09 AM

Hillary knows where she is. But she deleted the info in her e-mails.

Bill Greenwood
09-28-2016, 10:57 AM
I actually know where Amelia is, just heard from her this morning. I can even arrange a meeting with her, minor cost involved say $2000 and some travel necessary. And this is factual. P S she looks good for her age.

Zack Baughman
09-29-2016, 01:05 PM
Gents - please drop the political jesting. There are plenty of other forums for those kinds of remarks.

Zack

gbrasch
09-29-2016, 04:57 PM
Gents - please drop the political jesting. There are plenty of other forums for those kinds of remarks.

Zack

Agreed! Like my daddy told me, "never talk about politics, religion or sex." Well maybe........

Bill Greenwood
09-29-2016, 06:38 PM
Zack, my posts on this topic have nothing to do with "political". it is only about Amelia and a related search. As for as I know the Tighar search has nothing to do with politics either.

Floatsflyer
09-29-2016, 07:58 PM

Zack

I prefer to call it satire because that's what it is. Most of the people on this forum are bright, intelligent and erudite offering a great diversity of thoughts, opinions, cogent arguments, skills and expertise in many subjects, disciplines and walks of life. I believe they can handle(and need) some good natured humour and kibitzing once in a while(if only as a diversion from the sometimes drudgery of day to day life)without putting the label of "political" on it.

There are few really good creative zingers on this thread like the one from 1600vw. Zack, I'd like to say please don't stifle our creative, humorous bent on occasion, but your the man here so I will defer. But think about it.

rwanttaja
09-29-2016, 09:57 PM
I prefer to call it satire because that's what it is. Most of the people on this forum are bright, intelligent and erudite offering a great diversity of thoughts, opinions, cogent arguments, skills and expertise in many subjects, disciplines and walks of life. I believe they can handle(and need) some good natured humour and kibitzing once in a while(if only as a diversion from the sometimes drudgery of day to day life)without putting the label of "political" on it.

There are few really good creative zingers on this thread like the one from 1600vw. Zack, I'd like to say please don't stifle our creative, humorous bent on occasion, but your the man here so I will defer. But think about it.
The difficulty is, this sort of thing tends to escalate. What you might consider a fun, harmless zinger might not be interpreted by some in that way, and they may retaliate in a way that you find offensive...which triggers you to respond back. And pretty soon, we've got a full-frontal political screaming match going on. Seen it happen in other forums.

You might claim, "That's just Politically-Correct BS," and to some extent, you'd be right. But recall, this is EAA's "house." They have the right to establish the "tone" of discussion here, just like they can restrict the topics to those dealing with General Aviation. If you don't like it, start your own forum somewhere.

Bill, I don't think Zack's comment was directed at you.

Ron Wanttaja

pointpergame
09-29-2016, 10:51 PM
I am a harmless lurker here. I recently watched a favorite forum blow itself to bits with polarizing jokes/jabs/comments. May I refer you, PLEASE, to Poe's law?

Poe's law is an Internet adage (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adage) which states that, without a clear indicator of the author's intent, extreme views cannot be distinguished from parodies (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Parody) of those extreme views (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Extremism).

Zack Baughman
09-30-2016, 08:02 AM
Bill, I don't think Zack's comment was directed at you.

Ron Wanttaja

Right you are, hence the "Gents." In general, unless the conversation relates to some aviation-related bill in Congress, it's just best to avoid ANY politics on this forum. Pointpergame is absolutely correct regarding Poe's Law.

Bill Greenwood
09-30-2016, 09:03 AM
If someone writes the wrong comment on a topic, why not remove that comment and not the whole topic?
Or else dont take so much offense at a remark or two. I dont think the comments about emails here were very funny, but really dont think its that important.

And by the way, I dont think Amelia is doing anymore long distance flighjts but has flown within the last couple of years. And I did hear her yesterday, didnt say she heard me.

P S Zack and I may disgagree on censorship, but he may be doing it for someone else and he's a good guy, gave me lots of free brownies.

Glory Aulik
09-30-2016, 12:17 PM
P S Zack and I may disgagree on censorship, but he may be doing it for someone else and he's a good guy, gave me lots of free brownies.

Zack is pretty familiar with the EAA Forums rules (http://eaaforums.org/misc.php?do=showrules). :)

"The EAA Forums Forums are strictly for aviation related posts. Through much discussion and observation of other online forums, the decision was made to focus solely on aviation. Non-aviation discussions can be exceedingly challenging to moderate in an appropriate, open and positive way. Although non-aviation discussions can sometimes be fun, important or entertaining, they are discouraged from EAA Forums and may be removed. In particular, steer clear of politics and religion."

Byron J. Covey
09-30-2016, 01:48 PM
I prefer to call it satire because that's what it is. Most of the people on this forum are bright, intelligent and erudite offering a great diversity of thoughts, opinions, cogent arguments, skills and expertise in many subjects, disciplines and walks of life. I believe they can handle(and need) some good natured humour and kibitzing once in a while(if only as a diversion from the sometimes drudgery of day to day life) ....

I know of at least one pilot /EAA member who was recently seen masticating in public.

BJC

rwanttaja
09-30-2016, 02:59 PM
I know of at least one pilot /EAA member who was recently seen masticating in public.
And I went to a school where boys and girls matriculated together....

Ron Wanttaja

Byron J. Covey
09-30-2016, 03:21 PM
And I went to a school where boys and girls matriculated together....

Ron Wanttaja

Must be something wrong with me - I never really enjoyed matriculating.

BJC

rwanttaja
09-30-2016, 04:05 PM
And, uhhh, what exactly was IN those brownies.....?

(Considering where Zack lives, probably cheese....)

Ron Wanttaja

FlyingRon
10-01-2016, 04:22 AM
Yah hey der. Eider dat or brats.

pointpergame
10-01-2016, 11:31 AM
Must be something wrong with me - I never really enjoyed matriculating.
BJC
Perhaps you're a latent thespian? :)

rwanttaja
10-01-2016, 12:09 PM
Perhaps you're a latent thespian? :)
I have it on good authority that, when he was in the grade school band, there wasn't enough instruments go around. He and another little boy had to take turns with one of the wind instruments.

It was a same-sax relationship.

Ron Wanttaja

Byron J. Covey
10-01-2016, 01:15 PM
I have it on good authority that, when he was in the grade school band, there wasn't enough instruments go around. He and another little boy had to take turns with one of the wind instruments.

It was a same-sax relationship.

Ron Wanttaja

Are you certain that you cleared the Young Eagles background check?

BJC

rwanttaja
10-01-2016, 01:36 PM
Are you certain that you cleared the Young Eagles background check?
Probably not. I answered the question, "Do you like children," with

"Depends on how they're cooked."

Ron "Fry-em-up Dan" Wanttaja

Byron J. Covey
10-01-2016, 04:20 PM
Probably not. I answered the question, "Do you like children," with

"Depends on how they're cooked."

Ron "Fry-em-up Dan" Wanttaja

When I registered to vote, the form asked "sex" with a line to write in the answer. I wrote "yes, love it". For "race" I wrote in "100 yard dash".

When I moved and changed registration, the form had two boxes for race, one with a "W" and one with a "C" so I checked the box for Caucasian.

BJC

martymayes
10-01-2016, 07:42 PM
Knew an examiner who liked to tell the story of a female pilot applicant who wrote in the block where it asked sex with "hardly ever"

Mayhemxpc
10-02-2016, 01:30 PM
Well at least when it asks to indicate sex they are using the term properly as a noun, unlike when it asks for gender. In those cases I write in "masculine."

Zack, I agree with your intention at intervention, but now we are just having fun with it. I am still trying to envision brat and cheese brownies. Not being judgmental mind you...

Mark17
10-03-2016, 03:10 AM

Zack

Everyone is entitled to an opinion. Politics is very much a part of aviation and it's healthy to discuss as part of our aviation rights. Just ask the guys at Santa Monica! I've never been on a forum where there is so much control and censorship. It's not a big deal at all whatsoever to voice an opinion. We all have different values, goals and aspirations. One's political ideology is just a part of that. If someone has a different idea as to what direction they prefer our country set course, fine. It's just their opinion. Enough with the censorship. North Korea already cornered that market! We can all agree that we love aviation and that's why we're here and it's perfectly ok to have our own personal beliefs and ideals. That's what EAA is all about:)

Bill Greenwood
10-03-2016, 09:38 AM
My post on the other topic was not "partison politics" in that I wasnt pushing any one party or candidate, didnt even mention names, I was just observiing that across the whole spectrum there is a changed attitude re war. And war is a part of warbirds just as airpower is a major element of out current wars and actions.

Bill Greenwood
10-03-2016, 09:40 AM
Anyone who doesn't have a pretty good idea where Amelia is has not been keeping up with gen aviation news the last few years.
And I have and do know this.

crusty old aviator
10-19-2016, 11:44 PM
Why is it always Amelia who's missing??? What about her drunken navigator, Fred Noonan? Is he chopped liver? Yeah, so he wasn't as snappy a dresser as the gal, but he was a heck of a lot more articulate. As for the man with the high top pith helmet, Mr. TIGHAR, I think he's doing a marvellous job...of fleecing gullible Americans!

I remember reading one of those "mystery solved" books in the late 70's and the author claimed that witnesses in the pre-war South Pacific saw a tall blonde woman and described her plane, and it was a perfect match. The only problem with that assertion is that Lockheed sold Japan Airlines fourteen of their Model 14 twins, which looked very similar to the Model 10 that the globe-hopping couple got lost in. There were also a lot of missionaries proselytizing around the South Pacific then, several of whom were tall blonde women. Funny how the author wasn't aware of that inconvenient bit of information...

Floatsflyer
10-21-2016, 04:16 PM
Why is it always Amelia who's missing??? What about her drunken navigator, Fred Noonan? Is he chopped liver?

Same reason Sully gets a movie named after him and Jeff Skiles has just been a footnote since the event occurred. The person sitting in the left seat captures the publics imagination. It's not fair but this is what happens because the media decides to focus on mainly one person.

No one remembers who the second person to walk on the moon was. I think it also has something to do with the way our brains are wired.

Bill Greenwood
10-22-2016, 01:37 PM
Sully was not only captain but I think he was doing the actual flying when this happened, as well as being the senior and person in charge.

rwanttaja
10-23-2016, 05:13 PM
Sully was not only capitan but I think he was doing the actual flying when this happened, as well as being the senior and person in charge.

Just like no one ever talks about Henry Tingle Wilde....

Ron "I had to look it up, too" Wanttaja

crusty old aviator
11-07-2016, 09:00 AM
Another one lost at sea, never to be found...

martymayes
11-07-2016, 12:12 PM
Sully was not only captain but I think he was doing the actual flying when this happened, as well as being the senior and person in charge.

I think Skiles was flying the leg up until the impact with birds when Sully announced "my aircraft" and Skiles repiled "your aircraft."

MFowler
02-22-2018, 07:21 PM
TIGHAR is now trying to generate enthusiasm for another trip to the island where they think Earhart and Noonan ended up, and where a skeleton they say is hers was found in 1940. Check out the announcement on their home page.

Floatsflyer
02-22-2018, 08:10 PM
TIGHAR is now trying to generate enthusiasm for another trip to the island where they think Earhart and Noonan ended up, and where a skeleton they say is hers was found in 1940.

If TIGHAR believes this skeleton was found in 1940 and which they say is hers, then why do they need to go back and find it again 88 years later? And if TIGHAR has already been to the island, why didn't they bring the skeleton home with them at that time? I must be missing something.

Alright, my take's as good or better than TIGHAR's. Amelia and Noonan crashed in the Pacific. They were seriously injured and eventually drowned. Their remains, if any are left, are at the bottom, 20,000 feet down. No money raised and wasted. TIGHAR please do something else, something that would benefit some living people.

CHICAGORANDY
02-23-2018, 05:58 AM
If memory serves, said skeleton was unearthed and boxed up, shipped off island and subsequently lost.

TIGHAR assures us this time that they have pinpointed the plane and also see Bigfoot and a UFO pilot talking to Elvis inside the cockpit. Now....... where's my checkbook? lol

The outfit is starting to remind me of the old goofy pseudo-investigation TV show "In Search of" with Leonard Nimoy - lots of searching.....very little finding. Wiki notes the show always started with the disclaimer -
"This series presents information based in part on theory and conjecture. The producer's purpose is to suggest some possible explanations, but not necessarily the only ones, to the mysteries we will examine."

Dana
02-27-2018, 07:05 PM
In other news, Amelia Earhart's car was found today.
(http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-43217133)

But no big mystery, its whereabouts were known until it was stolen on Friday.

rwanttaja
02-27-2018, 07:37 PM
A TIGHAR press release has announced that satellite scans have probably located Earhart's missing car, in the shallows off Nikumaroro island, and has kicked off a $3 million fund drive to search the waters.
http://www.wanttaja.com/car.jpg

Team leader Biff Tanfaded announced the upcoming exploration, noting, "This is our best chance to find evidence related to Earhart's disappearance since our last vaca...uhh, grueling expedition to the South Pacific." "Due to a donation from Coppertone," he continued, "We have an extremely high-tech piece of search equipment...a key fob, exactly duplicating that carried by Earhart. We will activate the "door lock" function of the fob, and using state-of-the-art sonar equipment (donated by Banana Boat) we expect to hear the resulting "chirp" from the car alarm."

Ron "News at 11....the year 2211, actually" Wanttaja