PDA

View Full Version : Hummel H5

malexander
11-08-2011, 07:23 PM
I'm thinking I'd like to build a Hummel H5. Does anyone know af anybody in or around Oklahoma that has a Hummel?

Marshall Alexander

Dennis Brooks
11-17-2011, 08:53 PM
Hi Marshall Well Im not in Olk. but im not that far away. I built a Ultra Cruiser. I started last Nov. 23 and it was flying 5 months 11 days later (May 4) I have 190 hours in it now hoping to get 200 by the end of the year (weather permitting). Have a great day....................Dennis

petemitchell
11-18-2011, 05:59 PM
I am also thinking about building a Hummel. Possible the H5 or the Bird. I am 5'11" and 190 so I have some concerns about the useful load of the HB. Has anyone built either of these planes? Any advice as to ease of build, time frame, ect? Does anyone have a rough estimate of the cost to get to a completed airframe for each? I am leaning toward the H5 because it is larger and has a higher gross weight. I would like to get a rough idea of cost to help make my decision.

I am in mid-Michigan, anybody nearby with a completed plane or a project in process that they wouldn't mind sharing? Hummel Aviation is only a couple hours away, so I might see if I can visit them - maybe they have some completed airplanes on hand to take a look at.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks.

martymayes
11-18-2011, 07:54 PM
Hey petemitchell, do your friends call you Maverick?

I'm in MI as well, let me know what you decide. I like airplane projects.

petemitchell
11-19-2011, 07:52 AM
Marty,

Negative Ghostrider, the pattern is full. Just living out my fighter-pilot wanna-be dreams.

danielfindling
11-20-2011, 07:11 PM
Found a short video on building HummelBird ribs

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hRRNIFt114U

I (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hRRNIFt114U)n 1986, I drove to Byron Ohio and met Mr. Hummel. I purchased both Tom Watson's Windwagen plans and Hummel's conversion plans. They were very sparse. I understand that the plans have been updated, but have not confirmed same.

Daniel

malexander
11-20-2011, 07:15 PM
Well guys, I called Hummel one day a couple of weeks ago, I left a message & my phone number with the girl that answered the phone. A few days later, Terry (if I remember correctly) called me back. We had a very warm & friendly visit. He said the best way to describe the construction, or the kit, is to picture an airplane sitting there, drill out all the fasteners & rivets, all the pieces fall to the ground, there you have your kit. This is to say it's so complete and simple to build anyone can do it. We also talked about total completion cost. Here again, it's been a couple of weeks ago, but I think you can have a flying H5 for less than 25K.
I've sort of changed my mind though, I think I'm going to build a Sonex first, simply because I want 2 seats. But, the next project will be an H5.

Marshall Alexander

petemitchell
11-21-2011, 08:01 AM
Well, here are my thoughts on cost. I could have a flying H5 for around 25K. I received some information from Sonex a few weeks ago and it looks like you can complete a Sonex for around 30K, depending on the engine you use. For 5K more, I could have a 2 seater and take my wife or one of my kids with me to enjoy the fun. As you can see, I am having trouble making up my mind.

I did some more research on the Hummel Bird and it looks like I will fit in it. It will be tight, but that's what I expect in a tiny airplane. My understanding is that the plans have improved considerably and its a pretty simple build. As this is the first airplane I will be building, I want to keep the construction and maintenance simple. The H5 and Sonex use a bigger and more complex engine and have additional systems. The Bird has a simple engine with no electrical system. Another consideration I have is workspace. I plan to build as much as I can in my basement; I have a decent space set up. While I have a lot of space for the build, getting it out will be the challenge. The Bird should squeeze out, but anything much bigger might not work. I think I can complete about 75-80% in the basement, then move it to the garage, then to a hanger. I can't take over the garage entirely because my wife won't park her car out in the snow. Think Michigan winters.

I estimate I can get a flying Hummel Bird completed for around 10-12K, which is cheap for an airplane. I still have concerns about weight. If I go with the taildragger that will help, of course I will need to get an endorsement for that. I just bought a DVD series on constructing a Bird. It's 7-8 hours so I should get a good idea of what's involved. I also think I will try to get to Hummel Aviation to meet the folks and talk about the planes before I pull the trigger.

Thanks for the information. Give me an hour, and I will probably change my mind, again. So many choices and so little time.

malexander
11-21-2011, 01:03 PM
2 seats & a bit faster is why I decided on the Sonex first. Space isn't a problem for me, I live on an airpark, my hangar is 25' away from my garage door.:)

Marshall Alexander

N404CX
11-22-2011, 10:05 AM
In the Thatcher CX4 world, the opinion is that for a single seat A/C, you don't need a tailwheel endorsement, per se, but you should get adequate tailwheel instruction.

Glen Wilcox

h5builder
05-14-2012, 09:59 AM
HI All,

I recently created a new Yahoo Group for those interested in, building, or flying a Hummel H5.

The group name is "h5builders" and can be found here : http://groups.yahoo.com/group/h5builders/

For those building or completed, please join and share your experience with the group.

thanks!

Daryl