PDA

View Full Version : 2M Young Eagle

Jim Heffelfinger
08-01-2016, 09:55 AM
Too many trolls

Floatsflyer
08-01-2016, 11:40 AM
Jim, it must be true. Last Thursday at Osh on a very windy, overcast day, Harrison Ford flew the 2 millionth YE in his DH2 Beaver. Jeff Skiles flew the 1,999,999 in his C-185 and the person that has flown the most YE's got to take up the 2,000,001 in a Glastar.

All symbolic and ceremonial of course. What ticked me off was that the flights started and finished 500 yards away from members eyes so you couldn't really see anyone. Only the media got close for interviews and pictures. If you didn't know it was Harrison Ford you would not have recognized him. He must be shooting the next Santa Clause movie(or Bin Ladin) because he had a huge, long white beard that enveloped his face.

krw920
08-02-2016, 08:29 AM
If you didn't know it was Harrison Ford you would not have recognized him. He must be shooting the next Santa Clause movie(or Bin Ladin) because he had a huge, long white beard that enveloped his face.

Said he has the beard for is role in a new Blade Runner movie.

ssmdive
08-03-2016, 06:18 AM
I too would like to know if we actually hit 2M. But so far... Silence from HQ.

Low Pass
08-03-2016, 06:46 AM
I too would like to know if we actually hit 2M. But so far... Silence from HQ.
I'm not sure I see the value. On the other side, this was a major PR hit for EAA and general aviation. I have non aviation friends who heard about Harrison Ford and the 2 million kids he has flown. Well, they got it close. But the point is it's much, much bigger than the individual EAA members, like me, who fly the kids. Who cares if I flew number 1,998,996. If I flew 2,000,000, it wouldn't make the chapter newsletter. Harrison Ford got the message out to MILLIONS of the general public.

ssmdive
08-03-2016, 04:12 PM
I'm not sure I see the value. On the other side, this was a major PR hit for EAA and general aviation. I have non aviation friends who heard about Harrison Ford and the 2 million kids he has flown. Well, they got it close. But the point is it's much, much bigger than the individual EAA members, like me, who fly the kids. Who cares if I flew number 1,998,996. If I flew 2,000,000, it wouldn't make the chapter newsletter. Harrison Ford got the message out to MILLIONS of the general public.

Call me old fashioned, but I tend to think the truth is important.

Jim Heffelfinger
08-05-2016, 11:06 PM
:-(

ssmdive
08-13-2016, 11:02 AM
I am going to guess the majority of staff are taking some time off post AV. Well deserved I might add as the week might seem long to some attendees I bet it's months long for much of the staff.

Still no answer from the EAA

Floatsflyer
08-14-2016, 10:12 AM
Still no answer from the EAA

I wouldn't hold your breath. EAA has made it clear that this is a done deal. It was a timing stunt done at Oshkosh to take advantage of all the publicity and attention that the accumulated world's aviation and other media could give it.

As well, as I pointed out earlier in this thread this event was designed to provide maximum exposure because of the pilots that participated and it was clearly a symbolic and ceremonial event. HQ has a good idea of when the 2M will happen in the next few months but that REAL milestone celebration could not hold a candle to doing it as an Oshkosh celebration.

Mayhemxpc
08-15-2016, 08:15 AM
In fairness to EAA, it has never bee said that Jodie Gawthrop was the actual 2 millionth Young Eagle. The words used were that she "represented" the 2 millionth YE, and sometimes the "official." I prefer "represents" which was in the earlier statements. Technically, she would not have been the 2 millionth YE, anyway, but represented the 2 millionth YE flight, as each youth can fly many times and each seat filled on each YE sortie counts towards the total. So the real 2M may happen on September of October -- but the time to celebrate that is during AV. (Note: All of my previous statements about the YE YPT program still stand.)

Jim Heffelfinger
08-15-2016, 09:16 AM
deleted

TomBush
08-15-2016, 12:57 PM
Fair question here: Sean D. Tucker (Chairman) and Harrison Ford both flew YE's during AV (saw it with my own eyes). Have THEY completed the YPP BC and training process? While I could surmise that it would be true for Sean to 'set an example' for the program, I seem to think that it would be incredulous for Harrison to:

a. have been asked to submit to a BC

b. actually done so if he had been asked. . .

Which leads to a logical question: what makes either of them any different or special?

Of course, none of this matters to me personally, as I will never participate in YE's for all the reasons previously stated in other threads.

Floatsflyer
08-15-2016, 01:12 PM
Returning to my Thread Question.....please read
Personally I do see the value in knowing we actually served 2M YE and will celebrate that moment as well as the ceremonial one held at AV16.

Fully appreciate and understand your quest for truth and honesty in all things, but as Cher said to Nicholas Cage in Moonstruck, "Snap out of it!" ;>)

Floatsflyer
08-15-2016, 01:22 PM
Fair question here: Sean D. Tucker (Chairman) and Harrison Ford both flew YE's during AV (saw it with my own eyes). Have THEY completed the YPP BC and training process? While I could surmise that it would be true for Sean to 'set an example' for the program, I seem to think that it would be incredulous for Harrison to:

Which leads to a logical question: what makes either of them any different or special?

Me as well with thine eyes.

a. Agreed, no.

b. Agreed, no.

Special? Harrison Ford? Well one, he's Hans Solo; two, he's Indiana Jones; and three he's Harrison Ford. Anything else you need to know?

ssmdive
08-15-2016, 04:54 PM

Of course, none of this matters to me personally, as I will never participate in YE's for all the reasons previously stated in other threads.

I wondered the exact same question. Anyone from EAA HQ wanna answer those easy questions? Has Tucker and Ford completed the training and BG checks?

PaulDow
08-16-2016, 07:56 AM
I have no inside information, but I'm guessing that Mr. Ford did go through the background check, and that's how they found out that a policeman did something extremely careless. (Where have I heard that phrase before?) I figure that was how this problem was discovered. The timing is certainly right for it.

Harrison Ford was mistakenly given criminal record for battery: Actor's name was entered by rookie cop during training but he forgot to delete the data afterwards.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...fterwards.html (http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3533609/how-Harrison-Ford-mistakenly-given-criminal-record-battery-Actor-s-entered-rookie-cop-training-forgot-delete-data-afterwards.html)

Jim Heffelfinger
08-17-2016, 09:17 AM
deleted

ssmdive
08-17-2016, 12:21 PM
RE: YE program - I saw a large leap in numbers. I have an inquiring mind, I asked a simple question. It could have been answered in one sentence. At worst a simple paragraph.
The last thing I want is the thread being hijacked by the NEVER YPP tribe.
Hal, if you will take this thread down I would appreciate it.
Jim

Might as well take it down, the EAA is not going to answer any of the questions asked anyway.

nesincg
08-29-2016, 05:04 PM
None of the NEVER YPP tribe mentioned this BS count flight until you brought it up. Not sure what you were actually hoping to accomplish other than stir the pot. Like they could ever answer "No, we made those numbers up."

RE: YE program - I saw a large leap in numbers. I have an inquiring mind, I asked a simple question. It could have been answered in one sentence. At worst a simple paragraph.
The last thing I want is the thread being hijacked by the NEVER YPP tribe.
Hal, if you will take this thread down I would appreciate it.
Jim