PDA

View Full Version : AV2017 Concert

Jim Heffelfinger
07-31-2016, 02:10 PM
Jack announces Monday night concert for 2017 - BareNaked Ladies.
http://www.barenakedladies.com/
Good fit?

jim

Tom Steber
07-31-2016, 02:29 PM
If that happens, not a bad band. I wouldn't go out of my way to see them though. They really seem to be throwing things up on the wall and seeing what sticks. Seemed like they were getting on a roll a few years back and then the this year happened.
I know it's all about the money. They will never have a top of the line band there. Way too much money. I remember the first 30 some odd years of the convention in Oshkosh being just fine without an opening night concert. I'd be fine without one again too.

wltrmtty
07-31-2016, 03:46 PM
I remember the first 30 some odd years of the convention in Oshkosh being just fine without an opening night concert. I'd be fine without one again too.

Ditto.

dautio
08-01-2016, 07:29 AM
They need to take a good look at the gray hair the majority of the attendees have. I heard that comment from quit a few people.

wyoranch
08-01-2016, 07:45 AM
You do realize it is not about the gray hairs, don't you? It is about attracting the people who have a full head of hair, the younger crowd. I don't quite understand all the stink over an hours worth of entertainment. If you don't like something move on until it is over.
Rick
p.s. Don't get me wrong, I honestly could not care less if there was a concert or not. If it is there and I like the music I attend otherwise I get a jump on the shower and beer.

Floatsflyer
08-01-2016, 09:00 AM
You do realize it is not about the gray hairs, don't you? It is about attracting the people who have a full head of hair, the younger crowd. I don't quite understand all the stink over an hours worth of entertainment. If you don't like something move on until it is over.
Rick
p.s. Don't get me wrong, I honestly could not care less if there was a concert or not. If it is there and I like the music I attend otherwise I get a jump on the shower and beer.

Agree, big +1. This is precisely why there are menus in restaurants. Lots of choices because we all have different tastes. Answer this question grey hairs or close to it: do you attend Oshkosh because of the opening night concert band? I could care less as well about the nightly music entertainment with one exception-- It should be mandatory that the Lt. Dan Band plays every year!

wyoranch
08-01-2016, 09:05 AM
1) +1 on Lt. Dan Band
2) My daughter would have attended this year if we made it, just for the Monday concert. EAA mission accomplished, you attracted a young person.
Rick

Byron J. Covey
08-01-2016, 02:35 PM
I remember the first 30 some odd years of the convention in Oshkosh being just fine without an opening night concert. I'd be fine without one again too.

I would be fine without the PA system, except for playing the Star Spangled Banner and giving the names of the pilots in the airshow.

BJC

deftone
08-04-2016, 02:47 PM
I know it's all about the money. They will never have a top of the line band there. Way too much money.

Dierks Bentley last year was certainly a "top of the line" performer, and in my opinion was very entertaining (I do live in the South so country music is in my blood, haha) Its the first time I have ever gone to an "opening concert". I typically am not attracted to most of the performers, including this year and apparently, next year. Like others have said, its not really that much of a deal, we go there for the aviation, not 1hr of music. The performer has no bearing on my decision to attend OSH

Low Pass
08-04-2016, 06:22 PM
I like the music offerings of the last few years! What I don't like is standing on the hot concrete to listen.

PaulDow
08-07-2016, 10:21 PM
I don't know about them. I found out that they're not bare; not naked; and not even ladies!

Also, I don't think they're our kind of people. It's well known that If (They) Had a Million Dollars, they would buy:

A house
Furniture for the house
A K-Car
A tree fort
A refrigerator
Food to put in the refrigerator

Including Pre-wrapped sausages

A fake fur coat
An exotic pet
John Merrick's remains
A rental limousine
Lots of Kraft dinners
Fancy Dijon ketchup
A green dress
Art
And a monkey

Is there an airplane on their list? No!

Floatsflyer
08-08-2016, 07:15 AM

Maybe not on that old list, but I happen to know that Ed Robertson of the Ladies is a pilot who owns(or did own, I recall he had a slight crash) a beautiful Cessna 206 on amphibs. In fact, he also had his own television series called, "Ed's Up" in which he flew to different locations in his 206.

So, by process of osmosis, the Ladies are definitely our kind of people. :>)

Tom Charpentier
08-08-2016, 08:59 AM
I don't know about them. I found out that they're not bare; not naked; and not even ladies!

Also, I don't think they're our kind of people. It's well known that If (They) Had a Million Dollars, they would buy:

A house
Furniture for the house
A K-Car
A tree fort
A refrigerator
Food to put in the refrigerator

Including Pre-wrapped sausages

A fake fur coat
An exotic pet
John Merrick's remains
A rental limousine
Lots of Kraft dinners
Fancy Dijon ketchup
A green dress
Art
And a monkey

According to one financial analysis of the song I've seen, the total cost of the items on that list is around $263,000. So there would be be plenty of cash left over for a very nice airplane if one was so inclined.:)

crusty old aviator
10-12-2016, 08:32 PM
I crewed for the "rubber ducky" hot air balloon that night, so I sort of "attended" the concert. Being a geezer, I'd never heard of Third Pimple on my Nose, or whatever the band was named, but didn't find their stuff objectionable. We were pretty busy coordinating the "glows," so I didn't pay much attention to them. I was surprised they had the audience on the ramp, though. Grass would be much more inviting to sit and picnic on, except it's on the flightline and there's not supposed to be any picnicking. If it was raining, the concrete ramp would prevent the creation of a "mosh pit," so that's a plus...unless you're into mosh pits, 4-wheelers, and all things mud.

Cary
10-13-2016, 04:38 PM
Mostly I don't care whether there is a concert or not, but I really like Gary Senise's Lt. Dan Band. They play music from all eras, and they do it well. That he is such a supporter of Veterans and the military, although he hasn't served, adds to his credibility for me.

One of the most meaningful experiences I've had at OSH occurred a couple of years ago, at his band's performance. The Veterans Honor Flight had landed, and a slew of old Vets and their helpers came into the audience area to the applause of everyone there. Then Gary asked for all of the Vets, old and new, and active military, to stand up and be recognized. A young woman (in her 20s) near me and I were already standing, so we raised our hands. We looked at each other, clasped hands, and then hugged, both of us with tears streaming down our cheeks. This old man and that young lady bonded for a moment over shared experiences. We'll not likely ever see each other again, but for that brief moment in time, we were brother and sister.

Cary

psween
11-28-2016, 02:30 PM
I was planning to attend 2017 regardless, but having BNL for the opening show is the icing on the cake. Love them, they're a pretty significant part of the playlist that I have on in the shop when airplane building. I've never bothered to go to a concert at Oshkosh, but won't miss this one if I can possibly help it. I'm 40, for what it's worth, so I probably don't fit into either the geezer or whippersnapper categories.

Patrick

Floatsflyer
11-28-2016, 05:38 PM
I was planning to attend 2017 regardless, but having BNL for the opening show is the icing on the cake. Love them,

++1

Although, IMO, The Ladies lost some of their signature lead singer distinctive voice/sound when Steven Page left the band in 2009. But still a terrific unique fun group to listen to. And original band founder Ed Robertson will be in his element, he's a pilot and an aviation freak.

Infidel
01-30-2017, 11:34 PM
I've been to Airventure a couple times so far and I've yet to make it a point to attend the main headline concert. I go to Airventure for a myriad of reasons and the headline concert isn't it. I understand the allure and I'm a great fan of music. Steve Miller Band, REO Speedwagon, the Bentley fellow, Lt. Dan on the side, et cetera. I guess the point I'm trying to make is why the fuss? I see it is an added bonus and for some; some don't get to experience live music like this but once a year. Something I think we all need to consider is in this day and age of correctness, tenderness, and grievances, is EAA's position. To choose a performer who doesn't exemplify a political point or has a history of profane lyrics, pickings are slim. Contrary to an earlier post that suggested good bands cost too much.

I'm cool with some Bare Naked Ladies. Yep, the band and the ones that really matter.....

CHICAGORANDY
01-31-2017, 07:59 AM
All I have to say is.....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CMSYv_Z4SI8

martymayes
01-31-2017, 09:17 AM
Dierks Bentley last year was certainly a "top of the line" performer, and in my opinion was very entertaining (I do live in the South so country music is in my blood, haha) Its the first time I have ever gone to an "opening concert". I typically am not attracted to most of the performers, including this year and apparently, next year. Like others have said, its not really that much of a deal, we go there for the aviation, not 1hr of music. The performer has no bearing on my decision to attend OSH

And Dierks Bently is a pilot! Good choice all around!

FlyingRon
01-31-2017, 02:00 PM
I like the music offerings of the last few years! What I don't like is standing on the hot concrete to listen.
Unless you care nothing for your hearing, there's no reason to stand on the concrete. I can hear them just fine down on the grass by the airplanes.

stummers
03-20-2017, 11:21 AM
I see Alpine Valley is not on Jimmy Buffett's schedule this year and he is playing in Chicago on 7/15. Hey Ford, how about we move the "Ladies" to another night and have Jimmy "Come Monday"?Yes I have read posts from years past about the logistics and costs of him performing. Just wanted to stir up some conversation.

Floatsflyer
03-20-2017, 01:08 PM
OK, you've stirred, now move on, nothing to see here. Ford can't pay the price that allows him to keep his Albatross and other planes flying. Besides, I think you're gonna like "The Ladies" and their very unique style and sound.

Tom Steber
03-21-2017, 05:30 AM
Alpine Valley is closed this season. No shows.

stummers
03-22-2017, 08:04 AM
Well, someone is obviously not a parrot head, and the Albatross has been the center piece for the bar at Margaritaville Orlando (with bullet holes) for several years.