PDA

View Full Version : leaving oshkosh on the saturday (driving)

biggles1998
07-07-2016, 02:53 AM
HI.

Saturday will be my last day and will be leaving in the morning to catch my flight back to good ol' blightly. ( wish I could stay the whole weekend ) but time, family commitments etc stop me from doing so.

That said, i'm driving back to Chicago on the Saturday morning, does anyone have an idea or guide on what type of time it might take to get out of Oshkosh and back to O'Hare so I can work out the best time to leave? I'm hoping that going south will be pretty traffic free but I've never been before so any advice would be good.

thanks in advance

mike

Antique Tower
07-07-2016, 03:23 AM
Google says 2:30 drive time. Better throw in :30 for contingencies and road work, then :30 to turn in the rental car.

And TSA is saying show 3:00 prior to departure. You may be looking at wheels-in-the-well 6.5 hours prior to departure......

FlyingRon
07-07-2016, 06:09 AM
As long as you aren't trying to get off field immediately after the airshow, I've never seen the Wisconsin traffic to be bad. I've driven in-out a few times and have made a few Cabela's runs during the show. As least on Saturday, the Chicagoland traffic shouldn't be too bad.

Joe Delene
07-07-2016, 06:43 AM
Likely an evening flight? As posted I'd back off from departure time with plenty of allowances for traffic, car return, and then some time in the security line.

As you drive South on 41 exit 60 has a large Cabela's Store on the East side of the exit. It's a nice place to look around, if you need a breather.

biggles1998
07-07-2016, 07:08 AM
ah heck.. I've been toying with getting a new .22 rifle, and if I stop at Cabela's it'll be to much of a temptation to try and squeeze it in my suitcase to get through customs..

thanks for the comments all - good to hear that traffic should be ok, which means ill be able to get a hearty breakfast in me before hitting the road at a reasonable time.

FlyingRon
07-07-2016, 08:08 AM
You can get one of the Ruger 10-22 takedowns which the barrel twists off. Packs very compactly. Henry makes one where the barrel and other parts fit into the stock.

CarlOrton
07-07-2016, 02:15 PM
We usually fly into Milwaukee; in 2014 we tried O'Hare. Drive is a bit longer than to/from MKE, but not really bad at all. HOWEVER, we were surprised on the return drive. Just about the entire drive, all was well and good. Then, about 30 minutes N of O'Hare, complete dead stop. While we weren't cutting it super-close, I had no idea whether the delay was construction, and accident, or a fatal accident. We never did get above 15-20 MPH the rest of the drive into the airport. If you have a GPS or iPhone with traffic reporting ability, study it frequently on your drive just to make sure. Oh, yeah - in complete truthfulness, our drive was during Friday rush-hour, so some basis for that. However, Saturday/Sunday is usually when the road crews will block off one or more lanes for construction purposes.

biggles1998
07-08-2016, 03:41 AM
hi - yes that's my worry with any roadwork's, but mostly if getting out of Osh would be an issue, I found a good site https://www.illinoisvirtualtollway.com/ to keep an eye on traffic and roadwork's..

FlyingRon
07-08-2016, 06:44 AM
Meriwether Lewis and Kimberly Clark when searching Wisconsin for the Fountain (or as they say up there, the Bubbler) of Youth, knew they had headed too far south when their Indian guides had to stop from time to time to throw forty cents into the bushes.

Inspector Fenwick
07-08-2016, 07:56 AM
Biggles, make sure you drive on the RIGHT side :P

biggles1998
07-08-2016, 08:09 AM
Biggles, make sure you drive on the RIGHT side :P

you mean the WRONG side.. LOL :D

Cary
07-08-2016, 03:31 PM
For breakfast, consider La Sure's Cafe. It's across highway 44 from the northwest corner of the airport. Excellent breakfasts--worth a stop. I make a point of going there at least once each OSH trip.

Cary

biggles1998
07-08-2016, 03:58 PM
For breakfast, consider La Sure's Cafe. It's across highway 44 from the northwest corner of the airport. Excellent breakfasts--worth a stop. I make a point of going there at least once each OSH trip.

Cary

thanks for the tip.. Maybe a Saturday morning appointment..

StuBob
07-12-2016, 08:07 AM
Google maps usually has a good eye on Chicago traffic. I'd make a game-day decision based on that.

biggles1998
07-12-2016, 02:47 PM
Google maps usually has a good eye on Chicago traffic. I'd make a game-day decision based on that.

Not a bad idea, but coming over from the UK my data allowance will be NIL, so will have to look for WiFi spots to get traffic updates..

Cheers

DaleB
07-12-2016, 03:20 PM
you mean the WRONG side.. LOL :D

No, no... that's where you Brits drive!! You know there's a RIGHT side of the road, and a WRONG side of the road... :) :)