PDA

View Full Version : "Big Ass Solutions?" Really?

StuBob
06-16-2016, 12:29 PM
Looking at the Airventure website, I see that Exhibit Hangar D will be known as "Big Ass Solutions Exhibit Hangar D."

Really? Is "ass" not a swear word anymore? Shall I tell my grandson I'll meet him at the Big Ass Solutions Exhibit Hangar?

Am I the only one offended by this?

martymayes
06-16-2016, 12:50 PM
Looking at the Airventure website, I see that Exhibit Hangar D will be known as "Big Ass Solutions Exhibit Hangar D."

Really? Is "ass" not a swear word anymore? Shall I tell my grandson I'll meet him at the Big Ass Solutions Exhibit Hangar?

Am I the only one offended by this?

You are referring to the fan company.......they gave my son a cool hat.

glider90
06-16-2016, 01:24 PM
You are referring to the fan company.......they gave my son a cool hat.

I attended a trade show for food and beverage, they were there with a booth. They were giving away foam donkey which is their mascot logo....

Tom Steber
06-16-2016, 04:20 PM
Not the most "Family Friendly" name to be sure. If I was with my grandkids I'd tell them we were in Exhibit Hangar D.

rwanttaja
06-16-2016, 04:36 PM
I guess it was better than the outfit that was there a while back, selling black prophylactics under the product name, "Stealth." Sales line was, "They'll never see you [XXXX]." The actual word was the antonym for "Going".

We'll see if THIS passes the nanny filters.....

In EAA's defense, this booth was set up outside the main area, on what I suspect was private land. Probably right outside one of the beer halls.

Ron Wanttaja

wyoranch
06-16-2016, 04:47 PM
I am about as far away from being PC as is possible, but I am kind of with StuBob. Tough one to explain to the little ones. Just like Tom Steber, I will be found in hanger D. I do fear a long drawn out PC discussion about this......
Rick

Auburntsts
06-16-2016, 05:25 PM
Meh. I don't see the big deal and don't think of "ass" being particularly offensive. YMMV......

Mark van Wyk
06-16-2016, 05:29 PM
Another example of language "coarsening." I hear lots of swear words on TV nowadays. Late night shows worst of all. As for Big Ass Fans, here's their web site:
http://www.bigassfans.com/
A gym that I used to go to had a gigantic ceiling fan made by this company. Good product, company name in questionable taste.

martymayes
06-16-2016, 05:36 PM
Another example of language "coarsening." I hear lots of swear words on TV nowadays. Late night shows worst of all.

Not just language......any behavior someone wants to desensitize the masses with will be rammed down viewers throats program after program.

Kyle Boatright
06-16-2016, 07:54 PM
I try not to be someone who is easily offended, despite our current culture which seems to place an emphasis on being offended by relatively benign things.

So, these fans? Meh. Wish the company had a less coarse name. It doesn't. Not a big deal to me. BTW, we have their fans at work. They do a nice job.

Floatsflyer
06-16-2016, 09:13 PM
Big ass much ado about absolutely nothing. When George Carlin expounded on his exquisite "7 words you can't say on television" (at least on over the air free tv) decades ago, the word "ass" was definitely not one of them. Calling "ass" a swear word is tantamount to saying Trump is a member of Mensa.

C'mon, give me a freekin' break. There are far, far more horrific things in this ugly, disgusting world to be offended about. Like Orlando this week or any other number of crimes against humanity.

As far as your grandson is concerned, all I can say is don't sweat the small stuff. If he's walking upright and no longer requires a high chair to eat, then he's likely a part of the internet generation and could probably tell you a few things that would make your ears curl.

saber25
06-16-2016, 10:25 PM
Floatsflyer,

Ditto on your comment. Maybe the others don't get out very much.

Cheers, Hans

dougbush
06-16-2016, 10:46 PM
I find the company name tacky, but I'm more offended when people use obvious substitute words like "freekin" in lieu of words commonly used to intimidate.

StuBob
06-17-2016, 09:50 AM
Maybe "offended" is too strong a word. But coarse, tacky, not family-friendly, and pointless.

And the fact that there are truly heinous things in America doesn't mean the merely classless aren't worthy of notice.

rwanttaja
06-17-2016, 11:02 AM
Maybe "offended" is too strong a word. But coarse, tacky, not family-friendly, and pointless.
It's like when you're at dinner somewhere, and somebody at the next table keeps using the F-word. They have a right to, you might limit your overt reaction to an eye roll, but you really do NOT have a positive view of the person in question. No harm, but if a business does the same thing, well, customers have the right to take their custom somewhere else.

There's a vendor of small satellite components called "Innovative Solutions In Space." They go by their acronym: "ISIS." We considered using them for a Government program, but decided the connotations would just be too negative. Similarly, we' be cautions about using a company called "Big Ass Fans" because somewhere, there'd be someone in the Government who gets offended. The offended party, again, may not take an overt reaction, but may view our proposals less positively.

Ron Wanttaja

Inspector Fenwick
06-19-2016, 03:36 PM
[QUOTE=rwanttaja;56017]It's like when you're at dinner somewhere, and somebody at the next table keeps using the F-word. They have a right to.........

I have slept on my response to this thread. This comment floored me.... I recall a case in Michigan, IRRC, where a man was found not guilty after being arrested for assault (he beat, severely, a local low life who was verbally "challenged"..... he seemed only to know a few words, and the F bomb was every other word. This occurred on a river with lots of kids around, including the kids of the guy who was arrested. He was found not guilty of battery. I know one thing, you don't have the "right" to use obscenity in the presence of any of my three year old grandsons. I am not a prude. Hardly. I have used every form such verbage and have a black belt in blue language. :)But it seems we have lost our way regarding common decency. There is a reason "big ass fans" is named as it is and this discussion is why. Not for any sort of quality or other positive attribute. I also have the right to not specify them for any of my projects or allow them as a substitute (I am an architect). That sort of control is all I have.....plus the fact that I fully intend to protect the sensibilities of youngsters in my charge. Yes, I know, it's just words.......

rwanttaja
06-19-2016, 05:01 PM
It's like when you're at dinner somewhere, and somebody at the next table keeps using the F-word. [SIZE=4][B]They have a right to.........
I have slept on my response to this thread. This comment floored me.... I recall a case in Michigan, IRRC, where a man was found not guilty after being arrested for assault (he beat, severely, a local low life who was verbally "challenged"..... he seemed only to know a few words, and the F bomb was every other word. This occurred on a river with lots of kids around, including the kids of the guy who was arrested.
So far, First Amendment cases have favored profanity users. That said, the Constitution governs only GOVERNMENT action. It doesn't protect one from getting poked on the nose from someone who objects to your language. There are separate laws governing assault, of course.

As Paul Harvey once put it, "Your rights end where my nose begins."

The only true cure is to bring back the Code Duello (http://www.wanttaja.com/navlinks/DUELLO.HTM). As Heinlein said, "An armed society is a polite society..."

Ron Wanttaja

Kyle Boatright
06-19-2016, 07:06 PM
So far, First Amendment cases have favored profanity users. That said, the Constitution governs only GOVERNMENT action. It doesn't protect one from getting poked on the nose from someone who objects to your language. There are separate laws governing assault, of course.

As Paul Harvey once put it, "Your rights end where my nose begins."

The only true cure is to bring back the Code Duello (http://www.wanttaja.com/navlinks/DUELLO.HTM). As Heinlein said, "An armed society is a polite society..."

Ron Wanttaja

So, blunderbusses and balloons at dawn?

http://www.historychannel.com.au/classroom/day-in-history/654/hot-air-balloon-duel

Also, parodied in a movie:

<This is where I would have posted a link to the appropriate clipping from "Those Magnificent Men and their Flying Machines", but couldn't find the right clip...>

rwanttaja
06-19-2016, 10:10 PM
So, blunderbusses and balloons at dawn?

http://www.historychannel.com.au/classroom/day-in-history/654/hot-air-balloon-duel

If I do, remind me not to wear my hail-season flying helmet.
http://www.bowersflybaby.com/picklehaube.jpg
Ron Wanttaja