PDA

View Full Version : New to flying & forum

Straybird
06-15-2016, 02:34 PM
I'm new to this forum so my questions may be a bit off the wall. I recently bought a Quicksilver MXL II that has a Rotax 503. I weigh 225lbs and hope to convert my aircraft to use floats. I need more power and been told to trade my 503 for a 582 blue head. Can someone tell me where I can make the trade or if there's a better power plant option that'll fit my MXLII?

Sam Buchanan
06-15-2016, 03:13 PM
I'm new to this forum so my questions may be a bit off the wall. I recently bought a Quicksilver MXL II that has a Rotax 503. I weigh 225lbs and hope to convert my aircraft to use floats. I need more power and been told to trade my 503 for a 582 blue head. Can someone tell me where I can make the trade or if there's a better power plant option that'll fit my MXLII?Please be advised your plane is not an ultra-light.

Straybird
06-15-2016, 03:33 PM
Please be advised your plane is not an ultra-light.Duly noted Sam. I know I said I'm new to flying but I do also know that my Quicksilver does not fall under the Part 103 guidelines for being an ultralight. That really wasn't why I was posting my questions. If your upset because I used "The Ultralight Strip" column I apologize for stepping on yours or anyone else's toes but it'll take me some time to find my way around this forum. In the mean time, can anybody answer my questions? Thanks...

Sam Buchanan
06-15-2016, 03:49 PM
Duly noted Sam. I know I said I'm new to flying but I do also know that my Quicksilver does not fall under the Part 103 guidelines for being an ultralight. That really wasn't why I was posting my questions. If your upset because I used "The Ultralight Strip" column I apologize for stepping on yours or anyone else's toes but it'll take me some time to find my way around this forum. In the mean time, can anybody answer my questions? Thanks...Not upset at all, just hoping you were not going down a rabbit hole due to being uninformed.The 582 should be plenty of power if it is a suitable engine for your airframe.

Buzz
06-15-2016, 07:46 PM
I'm new to this forum so my questions may be a bit off the wall. I recently bought a Quicksilver MXL II that has a Rotax 503. I weigh 225lbs and hope to convert my aircraft to use floats. I need more power and been told to trade my 503 for a 582 blue head. Can someone tell me where I can make the trade or if there's a better power plant option that'll fit my MXLII?The MXLII is a marginal floatplane even with a 582 on it. The problem is the double surface wing doesn't provide enough lift. You might be able to fly alone on floats. You probably will not be able to get it in the air with a passenger. It's generally accepted that the only 2-place Quicksilver that can be flown on floats is the single surface Sprint II.You might want to call Bever Borne at Air-Tech. Should be able to find his website easily via Google. He recently bought the operating assets of Quicksilver. Prior to doing so he has been the most active Quicksilver dealer for over 4 decades. They do a great amount of float flying. He can tell you what kind of performance you can expect out of your MXL II on floats.I don't believe there is any power option for the MXLII other than a 582.

Buzz
06-15-2016, 07:49 PM
Duly noted Sam. I know I said I'm new to flying but I do also know that my Quicksilver does not fall under the Part 103 guidelines for being an ultralight. That really wasn't why I was posting my questions. If your upset because I used "The Ultralight Strip" column I apologize for stepping on yours or anyone else's toes but it'll take me some time to find my way around this forum. In the mean time, can anybody answer my questions? Thanks...Straybird, you'll also find that there is a Quicksilver Owners group on Yahoo that has tons and tons of information on everything Quicksilver. Join the Yahoo Group "QuicksilverAircraftOwners". The forum group has been around for many years and the archives there are extensive.

Straybird
06-15-2016, 09:20 PM
Thanks everyone for the information.

Straybird
06-15-2016, 09:25 PM
Straybird, you'll also find that there is a Quicksilver Owners group on Yahoo that has tons and tons of information on everything Quicksilver. Join the Yahoo Group "QuicksilverAircraftOwners". The forum group has been around for many years and the archives there are extensive.Thanks Buzz!!!

1600vw
06-16-2016, 01:22 PM
I believe Sam made the comment he did because you mentioned that your airplane weighed 225 lbs. If you did not believe this was an ultralight may I ask why you mentioned 225 lbs? I also don't believe an MXL II will tip the scales anywhere near 225 lbs. I myself believe it to be at least 75 pounds heavier then what you believe. I also know a 503 is marginal on a two seat MXL for power. The 582 is the power plant of choice do to the power output. This is all MHO.

Tony

martymayes
06-16-2016, 01:24 PM
I believe the pilot was saying he weighed 225, not the aircraft.

Sam Buchanan
06-16-2016, 06:53 PM
I believe Sam made the comment he did because you mentioned that your airplane weighed 225 lbs. If you did not believe this was an ultralight may I ask why you mentioned 225 lbs? I also don't believe an MXL II will tip the scales anywhere near 225 lbs. I myself believe it to be at least 75 pounds heavier then what you believe. I also know a 503 is marginal on a two seat MXL for power. The 582 is the power plant of choice do to the power output. This is all MHO. TonyNo, the poster said *he* weighs 225 lbs.I made my comment because he said he is new to flying, posted in the ultralight forum, and he bought a two-place aircraft. But all that has been cleared up...I think.

Straybird
06-16-2016, 07:52 PM
I believe Sam made the comment he did because you mentioned that your airplane weighed 225 lbs. If you did not believe this was an ultralight may I ask why you mentioned 225 lbs? I also don't believe an MXL II will tip the scales anywhere near 225 lbs. I myself believe it to be at least 75 pounds heavier then what you believe. I also know a 503 is marginal on a two seat MXL for power. The 582 is the power plant of choice do to the power output. This is all MHO.

Tony

As Marty Mayes mentioned, I weigh 225lbs not the plane. I brought it up due to the power I have now, I can't carry a passenger without having a long runway and maneuvering would be iffy at best. So even without floats, I still need more power.

Buzz
06-16-2016, 11:39 PM
I don't believe there is any power option for the MXLII other than a 582.What I meant is that I don't think there is another manufacturer option other than Rotax. Then within their power line, only the 582 has the hp/weight ratio that works on the 2-place Quicksilvers.

But again, consult Gene "Bever" Borne. I've been flying Quicksilver products since the 70s. Bever has a reputation among Quicksilver owners as being both the most knowledgable and most helpful person on the Quicksilver product on the globe. He is, in the opinion of every Quicksilver owner I know, THE source on Quicksilver information.

-Buzz