PDA

View Full Version : I know it's time to start the thread about chairs, umbrellas and smoking on field

Tom Steber
05-31-2016, 05:34 PM
Let's start now and get it all out. I for one would love EAA to go back to the way they had it years back about no unattended chairs left on the flightline. It's so unfortunate when a person can arrive on field bright and early to find almost every inch of the flightline lined with "bag chairs". No one around. What's even worse are the people who show up either right before the airshow starts or half way thru to claim their spot and then put up a large umbrella! Last year I saw what was the better part of a tent go up!

I know, this sounds a bit whiny. But wait, there's more! How is it that so many people disregard for the rules about no smoking on the flightline? I realize that most of these people are not members or pilots. I really feel there needs to be much more done to let people know where they can and can't smoke. And if someone who's been asked to stop doesn't or lights up again, they should have to leave. I know, I know. who's gonna be in charge of policing that! Maybe it will take someone's pride and joy catching on fire for a new policy to go into place.

I'm all for bringing in new people to the show every year. I know I do my part. But people who come without someone who is a member or pilot to help them understand, will just do what they want or feel entitled to do.
I remember back in the days when only pilots or members and their guests could go out on the flightline. I'm sure there were still some problems back then but there were far less people too.

I'm not sure if EAA can put the Jennie back in the bottle or if they want to even try. But I'd like to see "Oshkosh" be here in the future the way it has been thru the years.
These are just some things that are on my mind tonight. Thanks for listening. Rant over. Until someone comes up to claim their chair with a cigarette hanging out of their mouth and puts up an umbrella!

deftone
05-31-2016, 10:39 PM
Funnily enough I just mentioned to my wife this afternoon that I hadnt seen this type of post this year:D

The people leaving chairs...well yes it sucks, however I have to admit I done it myself last year, although not dropping it off at sunrise to hold my spot all day, more like right before the airshow starts then going to find drinks and snacks. The umbrellas however do drive me crazy, especially last year with it being so hot and sunny, it seemed like there were hundreds more than usual. During one show last year I had a couple roll up in front of me on mobility scooters and then proceeded to put up the biggest umbrellas I have ever seen, we had no choice but to move. They were not the usual Oshkosh crowd and I didnt want to interrupt their 6-pack.

Smoking...I dont think its as big a problem as it used to be. EAA doesnt seem interested in enforcing it and Im not sure they will unless something happens that forces their hand.

deftone
05-31-2016, 10:57 PM
Oh... and since we are complaining.... I sure hope EAA has done away with all the snake-oil salesmen peddling their junk inside the buildings.

No, I dont need a battery operated back massager thank you, nor do I want to enter your "free" prize draw for your timeshare.

Joe Delene
06-01-2016, 03:26 AM
I'd rather see the 'snake oil' salesperson paying for a spot in the hangar than leaving it empty. It's easy to walk by, maybe say hello in the process. At least it's not extreme pressure sales, like the old 'Lido Market' in Beijing.

FlyingRon
06-01-2016, 06:58 AM
I know, this sounds a bit whiny. But wait, there's more! How is it that so many people disregard for the rules about no smoking on the flightline?
It's not helped when EAA Board Members walk around the public grounds smoking.

MEdwards
06-01-2016, 11:55 AM
I'd rather see the 'snake oil' salesperson paying for a spot in the hangar than leaving it empty. It's easy to walk by, maybe say hello in the process. At least it's not extreme pressure sales, like the old 'Lido Market' in Beijing.Actually there was one booth last year where they would follow you down the aisle hawking whatever they were selling. You didn't dare say hello or you were a mark.

Kyle Boatright
06-01-2016, 07:49 PM
Oh... and since we are complaining.... I sure hope EAA has done away with all the snake-oil salesmen peddling their junk inside the buildings.

No, I dont need a battery operated back massager thank you, nor do I want to enter your "free" prize draw for your timeshare.

I'm fine with those vendors. They put $$ in EAA's coffers and defray the costs for the other vendors. I just walk by and wave.

FlyingRon
06-01-2016, 09:48 PM
Actually there was one booth last year where they would follow you down the aisle hawking whatever they were selling. You didn't dare say hello or you were a mark.

One of those nerve stimulator folks? I lodged a formal complaint with EAA right after that. I was assured that they would not be back (if you can trust anything the EAA says after the YPP debacle).

martymayes
06-02-2016, 07:25 AM
I'm fine with those vendors. They put $$ in EAA's coffers and defray the costs for the other vendors. I just walk by and wave.

I agree. Just say no if you don't want something.