PDA

View Full Version : Shipping Items to Oshkosh

kshaw
05-24-2016, 06:49 AM
I saw on the Air Adventure website that you could ship items to Oshkosh and pickup on arrival. We are considering shipping our tent and sleeping bags to cut down on weight and pick up on the 22nd upon arrival. How does this service work? Are there charges in addition to shipping costs? What are the hours for pickup?

FlyingRon
05-24-2016, 08:22 AM
Fedex operates an on site facility NW of Hangar A. I might give the FedEx Office store at 920 426 5580 a call. I think it's something like $5 a box over and above whatever your shipping charges are (collected when you pick up).Note when talking to the locals, the event is called "The EAA" rather than Airventure (a term nobody but EAA marketing uses, to everybody outside of Wisconsin, it's just Oshkosh).

kshaw
05-24-2016, 09:04 AM
Fedex operates an on site facility NW of Hangar A. I might give the FedEx Office store at 920 426 5580 a call. I think it's something like $5 a box over and above whatever your shipping charges are (collected when you pick up).Note when talking to the locals, the event is called "The EAA" rather than Airventure (a term nobody but EAA marketing uses, to everybody outside of Wisconsin, it's just Oshkosh). Is this the same pickup listed on the EAA website? I thought it mentioned near Hangar C.

TedK
05-24-2016, 11:08 AM
I had some small items "drop shipped" to me at GES. They are outside in trailers on the West (Scholler) side of Exhibit Hall D. See http://www.eaa.org/en/airventure/plan-your-eaa-airventure-trip/~/link.aspx?_id=4D9D411E1C51470CACE62FC238A3E947&_z=z. When you walk up, tell them you are an Attendee not an Exhibitor...they keep the Attendee packages in a different area. I would feel comfortable sending stuff to them. Use these labels. http://www.eaa.org/en/airventure/plan-your-eaa-airventure-trip/~/~/media/06a5cb98d16940b792033bdac5837ef5.ashx Ted.

FlyingRon
05-24-2016, 12:32 PM
Is this the same pickup listed on the EAA website? I thought it mentioned near Hangar C.Probably NW of A is North E of C I guess. Anyhow it's up there along the path between the Bus Tower and the ATC tower.

Low Pass
07-03-2016, 08:40 AM
General consensus seems positive on using the shipping services. Planning to send all my camping gear ahead. Obviously, would be a major logistical disaster if it didn't arrive. What are the general thoughts on shipping camping gear? Soft luggage acceptable? Cardboard box? Hard plastic case? Trying to manage all the factors. Thanks!

FlyingRon
07-03-2016, 10:13 AM
I've shipped suitcases (both regular and soft siders) via FEDEX (not to Oshkosh but other places) without problem. I have much better luck with FEDEX than I do with American Airlines (don't get me started). A box will work fine as well. I shipped stuff home (sales literature and dirty laundry) in a box from Oshkosh the first year I went.

gbrasch
07-03-2016, 11:00 AM
And for us repeat offenders, some rent a little storage locker right down the road at Barr Storage.

FlyingRon
07-03-2016, 11:21 AM
And for us repeat offenders, some rent a little storage locker right down the road at Barr Storage.

Yep, I have one there as well. Nice friendly folks and yes you can have things shipped to them and they'll put it in your locker for you (provided you tell them the combination on your padlock).

Low Pass
07-04-2016, 01:55 PM
Appreciate all the replies. Regarding the off-site storage, how do you get the gear to and from your campsite? I'll be camping with my plane. Only ankle express available to haul me and my stuff. And I want to haul 40-50+lb of gear as little distance as possible.

Thx!

Skyguy
07-05-2016, 08:18 AM
50 lbs.....too far to carry to plane campsite...better bring with you in plane.

Low Pass
07-05-2016, 10:41 AM
50 lbs.....too far to carry to plane campsite...better bring with you in plane.
Solo is no problem. This year I'm bringing a buddy. Unfortunately, not enough room (comfortably) in the plane for two people and 2 X camping gear...

DaleB
07-05-2016, 01:50 PM
Appreciate all the replies. Regarding the off-site storage, how do you get the gear to and from your campsite? I'll be camping with my plane. Only ankle express available to haul me and my stuff. And I want to haul 40-50+lb of gear as little distance as possible.
I have a little folding 2-wheel cart that has come in really handy on several occasions. It folds flat and weighs maybe 3-4 pounds. I got it at Sam's or Costco, don't remember which one.

Low Pass
07-05-2016, 02:19 PM
I have a little folding 2-wheel cart that has come in really handy on several occasions. It folds flat and weighs maybe 3-4 pounds. I got it at Sam's or Costco, don't remember which one.
That's the direction I'm looking also. Thanks!

Cary
07-08-2016, 04:23 PM
I tend towards "glamping", but so far, I haven't overloaded my P172D when carrying a buddy and all of our stuff, including 2 folding bicycles. I have a large Big Agnes Big House 4 tent with vestibule, cots, backpacking stoves, chairs, hammock chair, etc. Other than coffee makings, I don't bring any food, and we eat at restaurants or vendors.

When I go solo, I subtract one bike and add a Yeti cooler and often cook my breakfasts. Last year I started bringing a foldup camping toilet, which turned out to be handier than I expected and worth the 2 lbs it weighs.

If I had to ship anything, I'd still bring a backpacking tent and sleeping bag in the airplane. I've had too many experiences with stuff being shipped here and there and not arriving on time to trust that it would be there when I arrive. The last thing I'd want to do is try to find alternative sleeping arrangements at OSH after a day of flying to get there.

Cary

Low Pass
07-13-2016, 04:35 PM
I tend towards "glamping", but so far, I haven't overloaded my P172D when carrying a buddy and all of our stuff, including 2 folding bicycles. I have a large Big Agnes Big House 4 tent with vestibule, cots, backpacking stoves, chairs, hammock chair, etc. Other than coffee makings, I don't bring any food, and we eat at restaurants or vendors.

When I go solo, I subtract one bike and add a Yeti cooler and often cook my breakfasts. Last year I started bringing a foldup camping toilet, which turned out to be handier than I expected and worth the 2 lbs it weighs.

If I had to ship anything, I'd still bring a backpacking tent and sleeping bag in the airplane. I've had too many experiences with stuff being shipped here and there and not arriving on time to trust that it would be there when I arrive. The last thing I'd want to do is try to find alternative sleeping arrangements at OSH after a day of flying to get there.

CarySo you have had items shipped to Oshkosh lost?? When was that? And were they eventually recovered?

Low Pass
08-02-2016, 07:28 PM
My box arrived at GES in Oshkosh exactly as planned. Shipped out the box the morning of my departure. All was pretty easy!

Low Pass
08-09-2016, 09:11 AM
Well, it's over a week after I shipped my box camping gear back home to myself, and it's still en route. Last reported in Hutchins, Texas - near Dallas. So it's in the Fedex system. Delivery officially pending, but lost as best I can tell right now.

Will report back with the final verdict.

Low Pass
08-11-2016, 04:14 PM
Finally received my camping gear today. It seems my box got thoroughly lost when I failed to remove the shipping label from the shipment to Oshkosh. This apparently caused a big problem. After 7 or 8 calls to customer service, we got it figured out and the box sent in the right direction. Dodged a bullet there.

wallda
08-11-2016, 04:54 PM
Finally received my camping gear today. It seems my box got thoroughly lost when I failed to remove the shipping label from the shipment to Oshkosh. This apparently caused a big problem. After 7 or 8 calls to customer service, we got it figured out and the box sent in the right direction. Dodged a bullet there.

Always remove all old shipping labels. Or us a thick black marker to block out all the info and bar codes. Don't forget the small stocked that are sometimes on the side of the box.

One wrong scan can mess up your package!!!