PDA

View Full Version : What would you choose?

Glory Aulik
05-18-2016, 07:57 AM
If you had to fly with only one instrument, what would you choose?

Byron J. Covey
05-18-2016, 09:26 AM

Fuel gauge.

BJC

rwanttaja
05-18-2016, 09:28 AM
Harmonica.

Ron Wanttaja

rwanttaja
05-18-2016, 09:34 AM
To be serious, I'd say oil pressure. My Fly Baby provides audible airspeed and tachometer, looking at the ground gives me altitude and (with a map) heading, clock gives me a good indication of fuel remaining.

Ron Wanttaja

martymayes
05-18-2016, 10:20 AM
CLOCK!

Even when nothing works, rentals still charge by the hour!

George Sychrovsky
05-18-2016, 02:15 PM
I actually did fly with only one instrument for years

Mayhemxpc
05-18-2016, 04:46 PM
Glory,

Since you posted this on the IMC thread, I take it that you did not mean engine instrument. In VFR, I agree, the oil pressure gauge (the one we normally don't look at more than a minute after starting the engine) is the most critical.

I am also assuming that my wristwatch doesn't count as an instrument.

Byron, she's asked about the MOST important gauge, not the least important one.

Byron J. Covey
05-18-2016, 04:49 PM
Byron, she's asked about the MOST important gauge, not the least important one.

Correct ... we disagree, assuming that the airplane is not a glider.

BJC

FlyingRon
05-18-2016, 06:10 PM
I've had static failure. Having the GPS-moving map covers for a lot if you can call that an "instrument."

Bob Dingley
05-19-2016, 10:04 AM
If I were down to only one instrument, I would conclude that this is a good day to stay home and re-arrange my sock drawer.

gbrasch
05-19-2016, 06:39 PM
I keep wondering if there is a particular reason for the question.

Kyle Boatright
05-19-2016, 07:12 PM
G3X Touch? ;-)

martymayes
05-20-2016, 10:46 AM
I keep wondering if there is a particular reason for the question.

Diversion from the Youth Protection Policy threads?

gbrasch
05-20-2016, 04:12 PM
Diversion from the Youth Protection Policy threads?Beautiful.........

joen6171b
05-21-2016, 05:17 AM
AOA indicator

Mayhemxpc
05-21-2016, 10:26 AM
GLOOORRRRYYY!!!We obviously need some more guidance. Otherwise this will quickly degenerate into arguments over the value of a tire pressure gauge as one's sole instrument.

rwanttaja
05-21-2016, 10:49 AM
GLOOORRRRYYY!!!We obviously need some more guidance. Otherwise this will quickly degenerate into arguments over the value of a tire pressure gauge as one's sole instrument.
I think since this is in "IMC Club," I think she's looking for people picking from the six-pack.

It's one of the drawbacks of surfing by "New Posts" instead of by sub-forums....I didn't realize this was in the IMC forum until after my first couple of posts. If I was in IMC, I might not just want the oil pressure gauge to be my last remaining instrument....

As for "why post the question"; I suspect since the IMC Club was recently assimilated into EAA, they want to ensure some life is shown in the group. On the downside, they get people like me and Marty participating.....

Ron Wanttaja

FlyingRon
05-21-2016, 01:51 PM
Given a choice for which instrument to smash, most would choose the hobbs meter.

rwanttaja
05-21-2016, 02:32 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VAUm6hiaiJ4

Ron Wanttaja

Mayhemxpc
05-29-2016, 10:09 AM
Coming back to this, a friend of mine wrote to say that he solo'd a Breezy yesterday, the three instruments on board and how you really didn't need to look at any of them. (This is especially true as they are far apart from each other and moving the head to see any one of them means one is not paying attention to everything else outside the plane -- "outside" not being the most precise term when discussing a breezy.) Anyway, apart from the theoretical answer being "none" it also reminded me that some years ago I used to teach CAP cadets to fly at the encampment at OSH after AirVenture. At the time, the boys were all MS FS aces. The challenge was to break them of fixating on instruments and fly the D@#$% Plane! So I covered up everything except the tach and had them fly vertical S's. (It helps with dead straight farm rows and roads laid out like a compass.) After awhile you are familiar enough with the sound of the engine and you don't need the tach either.

All in all it comes back to being conditional. What the most important instrument is depends upon what you are trying to do with the plane. (And what kind of plane.)

rwanttaja
05-29-2016, 10:33 AM
Coming back to this, a friend of mine wrote to say that he solo'd a Breezy yesterday, the three instruments on board and how you really didn't need to look at any of them.
Pretty much the case in my Fly Baby. Other than the oil pressure and temp, about the only gauge I pay attention to is the altimeter. And that's solely to stay legal (I fly under the SeaTac Class B). The ears work for RPM and airspeed, but it bites me at every Flight Review. Then, I have to fly a 172 or Warrior, and have to get re-accustomed to using the airspeed gauge.

Ron Wanttaja

Frank Giger
05-29-2016, 12:16 PM
Slip indicator.

Watch the ball, watch the ball, watch the ball.

Then again, I only fly VFR and lack a vertical stabilizer.

;)

Glory Aulik
05-31-2016, 07:45 AM
I think since this is in "IMC Club," I think she's looking for people picking from the six-pack.

It's one of the drawbacks of surfing by "New Posts" instead of by sub-forums....I didn't realize this was in the IMC forum until after my first couple of posts. If I was in IMC, I might not just want the oil pressure gauge to be my last remaining instrument....

As for "why post the question"; I suspect since the IMC Club was recently assimilated into EAA, they want to ensure some life is shown in the group. On the downside, they get people like me and Marty participating.....

Ron Wanttaja

Hello All!

I am helping Radek with posting these questions for IMC Club - I'll be sure to direct him here to help answer questions/clarification!

Thanks for the feedback.

Mayhemxpc
06-01-2016, 07:26 PM
Slip indicator.

Watch the ball, watch the ball, watch the ball.

;)

Reminds me of instructing at the CAP National Flight Academy at OSH one year. I would lay down in my bunk at night and had to put one foot on the floor to counteract the feeling of slipping sideways. The students came up with a joke: "Why to airplanes have rudder pedals?" Answer: To give the flight instructor something to say.

After a short time, you should -- in VMC -- FEEL when an airplane is uncoordinated. Or, like our glider pilot friends, you can tape a piece of yarn to the windscreen.

(I still think the best answer so far has been the Garmin 3X!)

terrykrummrey
09-12-2016, 11:00 AM
I have a tee-shirt that says "it takes 2 things to fly - Airspeed and money" Since by now the money (or at least some of it) has already been spent, I would have to say airspeed indicator. On reconsidering, however, if I were in IMC, it would have to be the artificial horizon. I did experience a vacuum failure in IMC once and the electric backup artificial horizon became my primary instrument and almost made it a non-issue. It gives you more information than any other SINGLE instrument to maintain coordinated flight.