PDA

View Full Version : Car transportation at OSH

Md11pilot
05-14-2016, 08:03 PM
Debating flying into OSH vs flying to Waupaca from the Saturday before to the Monday after the show but my question is, if we park the plane at OSH (we are staying in an RV at Sleepy Hollow) how do we get to the RV with our luggage and back without a car? My son and family are flying in Tuesday evening or Wednesday morning and leaving Sunday.

We need a vehicle to go for food etc during the week.

Kyle Boatright
05-14-2016, 08:14 PM
There is a welcome wagon which (presumably) will carry you and your stuff to any of the adjoining campgrounds. For local transportation, there are the free busses and you can also get one of the Kobussen (sp?) folks to chauffer you around in a van for a reasonable charge.

FlyingRon
05-14-2016, 08:18 PM
You can book a rental car through Hertz I think at the terminal if you really want one. I've certainly run people up to the terminal to get them and helped them get them on field (provided it's before Sunday before the show starts). If you're in Vintage, ask one of the orange vests if you need assistance. We have the ability to help you find people to help you move your stuff.

Md11pilot
05-14-2016, 10:16 PM
Fantastic info guys
thanks

Jeff Point
05-15-2016, 09:08 AM
You didn't mention what kind of plane you are flying, and it does make a difference. In the homebuilt area, there are welcome wagons as Kyle mentioned, that will take you from your plane to anywhere on the grounds, including Sleepy Hollow. I believe that Vintage has something similar. I'm not sure what North 40 has but there are shuttle busses running from North 40 to the transportation terminal near the main gate.

Keep in mind that you likely won't be able to get your rental car anywhere near where the plane is parked anyway. You might be able to sneak past security on Saturday, but then again you might not.

Given that so much is available right on the grounds, or a close walk nearby, it seems that renting a car would be a large and unnecessary expense. You could save the money and blow it on a new headset, GPS or similar aviation toy.

gbrasch
05-15-2016, 09:19 AM
Be aware that the closer you get to the event the more car companies charge. I rented a car 11 months in advance one year for about $199 for a week, a friend rented just before the show for almost a grand for the week. The rental companies like to gouge us, just like the local hotels. Also, I know from past experience (above) that Enterprise operates out of the Bassler FBO that week, or at least they did. Hope that helps.

Bill Greenwood
05-15-2016, 01:01 PM
There are rental cars availble at the terminal at north of airport. Terminal is from days when Osh used to have actual airline service before it became only at Apleton. It is nice to have a car, to get out and see some of the area, but they are expensive. If you are going to be there 5 days it is nice to have a change from the food at EAA which is ok for a day or two but gets old quickly. EAA had tried to make it better but with only some success. Lots of fast food type stuff.
Depending on what type of plane and where you park, there are buses and or trams that go around inside the grounds, but still make have to walk quite a bit.