PDA

View Full Version : Low Wing Pilots: What do you do for shade?

FastEddie
04-25-2016, 05:57 PM
I just sold my high-winger and picked up a low-winger, and am planning to camp with my plane as usual. My favorite part of camping with my plane was sitting in the shade under the wing and watching the afternoon airshow after a day of being cooked in the sun.

Now, I'm gonna need to bring something else to sit under. Any suggestions for a lightweight, easy to setup/takedown solution that will fit in the back of a Bellanca Super Viking?

I don't want to keep something setup while I'm away from the plane due to the risk of damage to other planes if a storm comes thru and blows it away.

rleffler
04-25-2016, 07:13 PM
Search for portable or pop up sun shade. There are quite a few products on the market.

gbrasch
04-25-2016, 07:36 PM
Won't provide shade, but I used one of these, very small and lightweight and couldn't believe how comfortable it is. https://www.rei.com/product/877258/rei-flex-lite-chair

FlyingRon
04-26-2016, 05:52 AM
Plenty of room under the Navion wing to sit. But I typically park the plane in the shade anyhow.

Tom Charpentier
04-26-2016, 10:32 AM
To Ron's point, you just need a bigger low wing

Larry Lyons
04-26-2016, 03:32 PM
Get someone with a high wing to go along, go in as a flight of two and park together. We usually have 5 to 7 planes and at least one is a high wing. He parks closest to the flight line and we all sit there. Honestly we also take along a pop up sun shade that we stake down and leave up until there is a threat of weather then we collapse it.

griffin800
05-03-2016, 02:35 PM
Don't know how much wing clearance there is but you can take a lawn chair and cut the legs off very short so you just don't touch the ground while sitting on it and then you only need 30" or so for the average person.

Bill H.

rwanttaja
05-03-2016, 02:55 PM
Don't know how much wing clearance there is but you can take a lawn chair and cut the legs off very short so you just don't touch the ground while sitting on it and then you only need 30" or so for the average person.

I bought one of these...

http://spenceraircraft.com/media/catalog/product/cache/1/image/a9f598b39d867900214b8dc5543eba79/7/7/7789-Red-One_Size_15736.jpg

http://spenceraircraft.com/pilot-shop/travel-chairs/red-joey-chair-model-7789.html

... and shortened the legs by four inches. Plane sits high enough with enough dihedral to let me sit under the wingtip. Yes, it's a bit less stable, but I won't have far to fall....

The advantage of this chair over a normal lawn chair is that it disassembles to a package only a bit larger than a shaving kit. Makes it easier to stash inside a single-seater.

Ron Wanttaja

FlyingRon
05-04-2016, 08:56 AM
We found an inflatable sofa we used to blow up and leave under the Navion. The biggest issue was there was no convenient way to stake it down so unless someone was actually sitting in it, it wanted to migrate in the wind.

Joe Delene
05-09-2016, 10:31 AM
Lay under the low wing. If the sun isn't right overhead, there will be some shade from the fuselage. You should be off and about midday anyway, by evening it won't matter.

crusty old aviator
05-24-2016, 08:03 AM
Swap out your lawn chairs for yoga mats...or swap out your Bellanca for another high wing: Howard DGA's have plenty of headroom.

Joe Delene
06-01-2016, 03:42 AM
Having to see out shade can be a good thing, maybe at least the level 6 CB's aren't bearing down on the grounds.