PDA

View Full Version : Airventure app

Jeff Point
04-14-2016, 05:32 PM
I see that EAA has released the preliminary schedule of events for Oshkosh 2016. It's never too early to start planning for the big show!

http://www.eaa.org/en/airventure/eaa-airventure-schedule-of-events?mkt_tok=eyJpIjoiWVRFMU5XVTFNREV5Tm1SayIsInQ iOiJwekxlQm1ZU2lOXC9vc1d3dmwyQ1QrcERKZ2dQMTltZmtGc VwvaElRSHdqNVRaR0xrSFY1Z245SHo3SFdCdGRaVFF6TXVaV1p senpzRDRMcnlUakl3eGZLdTlYTjRORGQ4K1Z0VllKNmV1dVFZP SJ9

This is as good a time as any to make a plea to HQ regarding the Airventure app. This is something that EAA has struggled mightily with over the last several years, and there have been discussions on these very forums about the issues with the poor quality of the app in years past. I will use the occasion of the schedule release to make the request to EAA- please make an effort to improve the quality of the app.

Coincidentally, one of the big things that has been missing is the ability to integrate with the online schedule of events. Properly done, the app should allow a user to develop a personalized schedule on their computer or tablet, and have that schedule follow them along on the app.

I also suggest that EAA get the app out there sooner rather than later, even if just in beta form. Last year there were some significant bugs which were discovered, but Apple's update cycle did not permit the app to be fixed in time for the event. I'm sure you will have no trouble finding beta testers- I would be glad to help with this.

Jeff Point
04-14-2016, 05:37 PM
Here is a thread from last year that contains a great deal of feedback.

http://eaaforums.org/showthread.php?6031-Airventure-APP

gbrasch
04-14-2016, 08:19 PM
Count me in with Jeff as a beta tester.

wallda
04-18-2016, 06:54 AM
I would love to help with testing.

rleffler
04-19-2016, 04:57 PM
I'll be happy to assist as well.

bob

Jeff Point
07-07-2016, 04:41 PM
EAA announced today that the 2016 app is available for download. It's actually been up on the Apple store for about a week, but I waited to say anything here until the announcement, in order to give them time to get their act together. Now that that cat's out of the bag- the app is a big disappointment yet again. It is essentially the 2015 app, recycled. I played with it a lot and they have fixed a couple of the more annoying bugs, but it remains the same old app, with limited functionality and no integration with the web-based schedule.

So, I will put my request in now for 2017- EAA, please put some effort into developing a better app. There is plenty of feedback on this and other threads, and plenty of folks who have volunteered their efforts as both developers and beta testers.

wltrmtty
07-07-2016, 07:49 PM
I must not be much of a tech guy because I think the app is pretty cool and, if I recall, an improvement over the 2014 edition - when I attended last. I have all of my planned events in My Stuff and each of the events comes with a location map and a Notes space (I'm not sure I'll use that). It also has maps with locations of restrooms, water, medical stations, and food/beverage (with menus!) not to mention the news, updates, social media, etc, which I probably won't use. I guess I'm just easy.

deftone
07-07-2016, 09:27 PM
I must not be much of a tech guy because I think the app is pretty cool and, if I recall, an improvement over the 2014 edition - when I attended last. I have all of my planned events in My Stuff and each of the events comes with a location map and a Notes space (I'm not sure I'll use that). It also has maps with locations of restrooms, water, medical stations, and food/beverage (with menus!) not to mention the news, updates, social media, etc, which I probably won't use. I guess I'm just easy.

I think it is the bugs rather than the content that became irritating last year, and you are right, it is an improvement over the 2014 effort.

personally I don't feel the app is all that important, I sometimes use the map feature as it shows your current position if your phone is gps enabled, but it is a luxury more than a necessity.

biggles1998
07-08-2016, 03:26 AM
as newbie to Oshkosh and trying to fit 7 days into 3, the apps looks pretty cool and will help me out in planning before and on the day thumbs up from me... I suppose the truth will come out on the day..

Tom Steber
07-08-2016, 05:40 AM
One of the best things I've found useful in the past has been the restaurant locator. I'm able to highlight all the ones that I may want to go to, otherwise I'd forget about some of them. Same can be said of the vendors in the exhibit hangers or forums going on through out the week.

Cary
07-08-2016, 03:49 PM
I downloaded the app yesterday, turned it on, and right away it said that it needed to be updated! So I pressed "update", and it locked up while updating. As Yogi Bear said, "deja vu all over again". But today, it seems to be working. Time will tell if it continues to work.

Cary

RC Gregg
07-09-2016, 12:05 PM
I have a Samsung galaxy tab4. The app downloaded smoothly and it is working very nicely. Is there a way to listen to tower or ground frequencies on a tablet?

Chris In Marshfield
07-09-2016, 01:00 PM
I'm just now downloading the app. You know what would be awesome? Being able to log in with my EAA creds and sync the event itinerary that I've already created from the web site. That would be awesome. Maybe it does :-)

Jeff Point
07-09-2016, 03:52 PM
Alas Chris, it does not. I wish it did. I asked them to add this functionality but they have not. Many of us use the website to plan our week, as doing so on a phone is cumbersome. Having it sync up would be handy and, frankly, standard functionality of this type of app. Hence my frustration.

deftone
07-09-2016, 04:59 PM
I have a Samsung galaxy tab4. The app downloaded smoothly and it is working very nicely. Is there a way to listen to tower or ground frequencies on a tablet?

Im not sure about a tablet, but there are certainly apps for your cell phone that allow you to listen to tower communications. I did this last year as I didnt have my handheld with me.

MEdwards
07-09-2016, 07:28 PM
I have a Samsung galaxy tab4. The app downloaded smoothly and it is working very nicely. Is there a way to listen to tower or ground frequencies on a tablet?See if the LiveATC app is available for your tablet. Shows 8 KOSH frequencies (some only used during the show), and hundreds of airports all around the world. Works well on the iPad.

Mike E

deftone
07-09-2016, 07:51 PM
Im not sure about a tablet, but there are certainly apps for your cell phone that allow you to listen to tower communications. I did this last year as I didnt have my handheld with me.

Edit - the app that Mike E mentioned (liveatc) is the one I used last year....it's a great app!

wyoranch
07-09-2016, 07:59 PM
Edit - the app that Mike E mentioned (liveatc) is the one I used last year....it's a great app!
+1. I used it the entire time, I never had an issue.
Rick

RC Gregg
07-10-2016, 10:21 PM
See if the LiveATC app is available for your tablet. Shows 8 KOSH frequencies (some only used during the show), and hundreds of airports all around the world. Works well on the iPad.

Mike E
Thanks. I will check google play for this app.

glider90
07-11-2016, 07:31 AM
Is the 3.99 version of Live ATC the one I want? I carried an airband radio for years, and have listened to Live ATC on the web for years free on my PC. Never thought of looking for an app.

Low Pass
07-11-2016, 09:05 AM
The LiveATC app does (did) cost a few bucks, but it works flawlessly. Worth the investment, imo. And I rarely pay for apps.

wyoranch
07-11-2016, 09:29 AM
The LiveATC app does (did) cost a few bucks, but it works flawlessly. Worth the investment, imo. And I rarely pay for apps.
I completely agree with Bryan. I rarely pay for apps, but this one is worth the couple of bucks. I NEVER had an issue with the app or the feeds on my ipad or phone.
Rick

glider90
07-11-2016, 09:33 AM
Cool, I am in the same boat. I think I have paid for one app in my life, but will gladly pay for this if it works. Thanks guys.

wyoranch
07-11-2016, 10:07 AM
FYI,
I did use the browser in my phone and linked directly to the LiveAtc website and it worked fine as well. Being older and my eyes not what they used to be I found the app easier to use.
Rick

baboss
07-11-2016, 12:36 PM
Awwww....so now we know who's hogging all the Wifi bandwidth on the Oshkosh grounds! You streaming LiveATC folks! :)
We keep a handheld scanner and radio going with all the OSH freqs scanning while we're at our campsite. Some folks discourage that as morons have been known to accidentally transmit but it's easy enough to lock out transmit on most radios these days.

CivEngPE
07-11-2016, 03:08 PM
I've noticed that the app still has 2014 locations shown for ice, bathrooms etc adjacent to HBC. Did these just not get updated in the past 2 years?

Also, I still haven't figured out where the vendor list is. Am I just missing something obvious here?

Shannon

Glory Aulik
07-11-2016, 04:11 PM
I've noticed that the app still has 2014 locations shown for ice, bathrooms etc adjacent to HBC. Did these just not get updated in the past 2 years?

Also, I still haven't figured out where the vendor list is. Am I just missing something obvious here?

Shannon

Passing along this feedback - thanks!

Cary
07-12-2016, 07:43 AM
I have occasionally used LiveATC at OSH, but my handheld's volume is better, and its battery lasts much longer, measured in days vs. hours for my iPhone. Being able to listen, regardless of method, definitely adds a certain dimension to the OSH experience.

Cary

Eric Cernjar
07-12-2016, 07:46 AM

Shannon

I'm going to leave the ice/bathroom location hunt for Glory, but I was curious about the vendor list and figured that one out. It wasn't on the app for me either, but I went to the preferences section and updated the content, and then it was there under the Attractions tab. Section is titled Exhibitors.

Hope that helps!

dclaxon
07-12-2016, 10:12 AM
Interesting. I don't use my tablet very much, but I just pulled it out of my laptop case to download the new app, and last year's app had updated itself to the new one without my noticing. Now I just need to spend a little time refreshing my memory on how to use it.
Thanks, guys!

Dave