PDA

View Full Version : Well, is it time to start the thread of what band will play opening day yet?

Tom Steber
03-03-2016, 06:42 PM
I'm always up for a good round of speculation. :rollseyes:

FlyingRon
03-04-2016, 07:03 AM
I'm always up for a good round of speculation. :rollseyes:

Doesn't really matter to me. The band plays while the field is still open which means I'll usually be standing out in the middle of taxiway Papa while they're on. I hear some of it as it drifts down from whatever they call the west ramp this time.

Auburntsts
03-04-2016, 07:41 AM
We enjoy the concerts. I thought Dierks put on an awesome show last year and it was great to have a contemporary artist rather than a retread band off the old geezer tour.

skyfixer8
03-04-2016, 01:21 PM
I haven t been to a concert yet. Usually see it from the front of a John Deere tractor/tram while trying not to run anyone over.

Bill L

crusty old aviator
03-09-2016, 10:34 AM
I remember at Oshkosh '77, Paul thought it would be a lot of fun to have a polka band play one evening, so he hired Lawrence Welk's band. Sure it was expensive, but it was for all the EAAer's who like polka dancing, which turned out to be Paul, his wife, and their daughter. Yep, three people danced, and about fifteen people sat and listened. So I recommend to NOT get a polka band this year. Maybe they could get the Milwaukee Symphony Orchestra up, now they can really put on a show and they have no performances scheduled for the end of July!

FlyingRon
03-09-2016, 04:53 PM
I still kind of miss the Kids from Wisconsin. I thought maybe with Glee popularizing show choirs that we might bet them back, but I guess the Geriatric Rock Band crowd won out.

crusty old aviator
03-09-2016, 06:13 PM
Gosh, yeah! They were great! I suppose they'd be considered too wholesome by todays standards, though. T&A wasn't in their DNA.

They still exist, are still based out of the Milwaukee Fairgrounds, and...they have plenty of dates available during convention!

Who's the decision-maker for this? Someone in Oshkosh, or someone in Detroit? Do we really want someone who may have been drinking Flint water to be deciding who entertains us? Then again, with Oshkosh, we may get the polka band...

FlyingRon
03-10-2016, 02:42 PM
My other favorite Wisconsin group is out of Madison, Lou and Peter Berryman. I've been lobbying for years to get them back.

Tom Steber
03-11-2016, 05:18 PM
Pretty sure that Ford picks the opening night act. But after that, it might be EAA that does. Not sure. There is a really good band from Madison, WI called Steely Dane (as in "Dane County"). A Steely Dan tribute band. A friend of mine plays guitar for them. They do a lot of Summer outdoor shows including Summerfest in Milwaukee. Would be pretty cool to have them play as the chance to get Steely Dan is rather low. Quite honestly I don't usually stay for the concerts. I few I have, but I usually hit the road by 7:00 and drive back to Green Bay. One of the disadvantages of driving back and forth everyday.

deftone
03-29-2016, 09:41 AM
I thought Dierks Bentley was a good choice last year and reflects the changing demographics of the EAA. Lets face facts, EAA needs new members to continue to thrive and this is just one of the ways of attracting people to Oshkosh. Now I wouldnt be too pleased if they went all out on one of these idiot pop stars that you see on TV now....

L16 Pilot
03-30-2016, 08:01 AM
As long as we're talking music, and this in not exactly right on thread, I absolutely hate it when the singers mutilate our national anthem. Someone hires a rock or country star (half of which can't hold a tune in a paper bag) who then proceed to put their personal mark on the song by jumping on and off key. Sporting events or the NASCAR circuits seem to manage to find the worst. While we're about it I often notice folks still walking around or not standing when the national anthem is being played at Oshkosh too. I think I remember reading once that Bob Hoover told a couple of young girls to "get up and be proud of your country" or some words to that effect. There..... my rant for the day. As far as bands go for the event I don't have an opinion as I never attend the concert. I'm more into flying machines which is what Oshkosh used to be about.

FlyingRon
03-30-2016, 02:33 PM
Actually, Oshkosh has had very little (if any) of such mutilation. As for people not standing (or at least being quiet) during the National Anthem, such is the society we live in. It's impolite, but it's not illegal. I try to set a good example, I'm usually doing crowd control during the airshow. The announcers do their best to get people to notice the anthem is started.

I learned the hard way having worked as a civilian on an army installation not to ignore things when they start playing "colors" in the evening as well.

L16 Pilot
03-30-2016, 03:43 PM
Back in my day (I'm old) we used to have "Call to the Colors" at the opening of the assembly at school. We also sang along with the band when the national anthem was played. Such as it was in the 1950's but the rest I learned during my Air Force days.

Mayhemxpc
03-30-2016, 05:20 PM
I see less and less of that mutilation. After the rather appalling rendition done by "Jewell" at the Superbowl one year, even the NFL has come around. Pop singer she may be, I thought Lady Ga Ga did a great job with it this year. As far as Oshkosh goes, I agree that the real problem is just getting people to pay attention, rather than deliberate disrespect.

Shiny object diversionary story. During my tours in Germany during the Cold War, whenever we had some sort of allied event, the US Army band would play the German National Anthem and the Bundeswehr band would play ours. Curiously, I always thought that each did a better job of playing the other's anthem than they did their own.

turtle
03-31-2016, 04:50 PM
While we're about it I often notice folks still walking around or not standing when the national anthem is being played at Oshkosh too. I think I remember reading once that Bob Hoover told a couple of young girls to "get up and be proud of your country" or some words to that effect.
How many of those people are from other countries? Not all countries share America's obsession with patriotism.

Mayhemxpc
03-31-2016, 07:04 PM
When in Rome...

When in another country, when something patriotic is done, I stand in respect for the country I am in. It is being a polite guest. Is it unreasonable for those from another country to be polite guests in ours?

With regard to standing for an national anthem, that is NOT unique American patriotism. That is common practice. You want to see fanatic patriotism out of almost any country? Experience the World Cup.

rwanttaja
03-31-2016, 09:03 PM
When in Rome...

When in another country, when something patriotic is done, I stand in respect for the country I am in. It is being a polite guest. Is it unreasonable for those from another country to be polite guests in ours?

With regard to standing for an national anthem, that is NOT unique American patriotism. That is common practice. You want to see fanatic patriotism out of almost any country? Experience the World Cup.
In Ireland a couple of years back, some music started playing and everyone stood up. One guy wearing a beret held a salute. I arose and braced to attention.

The interesting thing was, this wasn't a game or other public event. This was a pub. Wasn't even closing time, just the band shutting down for the night.

Was it the Irish national anthem? Could be, I didn't recognize it.

Earlier in the night, people had stood when another song played. The guy in the beret didn't salute, though. That one I recognized: "Those were the days, my friend," a pop song from the '60s. Turned out it was the fight song for a local sports team....

Ron "Pint 'o Guinness, mate" Wanttaja

dclaxon
04-07-2016, 11:53 AM
After the rather appalling rendition done by "Jewell" at the Superbowl one year, even the NFL has come around. Pop singer she may be, I thought Lady Ga Ga did a great job with it this year.

I didn't see either Jewell or Ga Ga, since I haven't watched the Super Bowl for several decades. But a few years ago U wasn't able to avoid hearing Roseanne Barr's rendition at a baseball game. I thought at the time she should have been banned from ever being anywhere near a mic or a camera again. (But then I thought that about Roseanne before I heard her "sing".)

Dave

Bailey47b
04-22-2016, 05:29 AM
Jimmy Buffett! An old geezer for sure but the younger folks still seem to dig him. And he's an aviation buff!

Tom Steber
04-23-2016, 05:13 AM
Buffett would be great but even Ford isn't going to pay that much. Most of the top touring acts are getting between $100,000-$300,000 a show. Or more in some instances, believe it or not. That's why we will always see a second tier or retread from the past. That's OK though. I rarely stay for their show anyway. Food is calling to strongly by then.

PaulDow
04-23-2016, 06:31 AM
http://eaaforums.org/showthread.php?4747-Airventure-Concert&p=39136&highlight=buffett#post39136

Buffett seems to get suggested every year. I found this message from back in 2014 that said his fee would be $1.5M, which is a discount from his usual $2M fee.

We could get 2 or 3 more air traffic controllers for the event at that price.

dclaxon
04-23-2016, 08:14 AM
Maybe Buffet has never sang at OSH, but I remember his Albatross being there a few years ago, with the crew sitting on top of it watching the concert that was there.

JayJ
04-23-2016, 12:25 PM
Everyone knows J.B. only works Tuesdays, Thursdays, and Saturdays; opening night concert would have to be moved a day!

5x5
04-25-2016, 01:41 PM
Show a little "love" to your neighbours to the North and get the Biebs to perform. (jk :P)

Seriously, I don't really care who is there. Even if it's not a group I would normally go to see it's kind of neat to be exposed to something that I wouldn't otherwise experience. And if I really don't like it, I can easily go back to my tent and enjoy a refreshing beverage.

crusty old aviator
05-14-2016, 08:44 AM
Instead of a concert, they should get the presidential candidates on stage for a debate on where they stand on aviation, the aviation industry, and how they plan to promote it.

Auburntsts
05-14-2016, 01:31 PM
Instead of a concert, they should get the presidential candidates on stage for a debate on where they stand on aviation, the aviation industry, and how they plan to promote it.

Oh hell no! I get enough of their crap already without having them defile my vacation.

jeftec
05-14-2016, 02:11 PM
that +1

1600vw
05-14-2016, 02:29 PM
Why not get a mix of young and old. Have them play together. Show the world that different generation can play together and get along. We want this in aviation or are trying to get the younger generation involved. Lets bring this to the stage and show them we do this in aviation. That it's a hobby or sport for all ages.

Tony

Floatsflyer
05-14-2016, 06:41 PM

Yup, why didn't I think of this.

Clinton:" Every time I fly on Airforce One, I'll be promoting aviation."

Trump: "I'm the greatest expert on aviation ever....really, folks I know more about this industry than anyone on the planet."

Sanders:" Pilot licenses for everyone, and I'll pay for it."

wyoranch
05-14-2016, 06:57 PM
Yup, why didn't I think of this.

Clinton:" Every time I fly on Airforce One, I'll be promoting aviation."

Trump: "I'm the greatest expert on aviation ever....really, folks I know more about this industry than anyone on the planet."

Sanders:" Pilot licenses for everyone, and I'll pay for it."
That's funny! Good one!

Jim Heffelfinger
05-16-2016, 11:46 AM
Well, This should be interesting reading over the next few weeks.......,.......
Third Eye Blind opening day concert..........
https://www.eaa.org/en/airventure/eaa-airventure-news-and-multimedia/eaa-airventure-news/eaa-airventure-oshkosh/05-16-2016-third-eye-blind-highlights-eaa-airventure-oshkosh-opening-day-concert-on-july-25

wyoranch
05-16-2016, 04:25 PM
I have to say I really like them! But..... It may be a mixed reaction from the typical crowd

Floatsflyer
05-16-2016, 06:23 PM
Before I turned a blind eye toward them, I kept an open mind. I asked my 26 year old son, who is a superb student of music and music culture, about them. He said he wasn't a fan but they were a good alternative rock/pop band that's been around for many years and had a huge hit in the late 90's that I would recognize if I played it. Went to you tube and sure enough I did, had a snappy, memorable chorus.

But they are certainly not the headliner name band that usually appears on opening night. Guess Ford cut back the budget big time. So my Monday night is once again open.

Auburntsts
05-16-2016, 06:34 PM
I have to say I really like them! But..... It may be a mixed reaction from the typical crowd

Me too but I'm thinking the stereo-typical attendee won't have a clue as to who they are or their music. I'll enjoy it though....

wyoranch
05-16-2016, 06:37 PM
Me too but I'm thinking the stereo-typical attendee won't have a clue as to who they are or their music. I'll enjoy it though....
If it means anything, my wife and daughter are coming this year if we make it. Just for them

Tom Steber
05-16-2016, 06:40 PM
Well, didn't see that one coming when I started this thread. Looks like it'll be another drive back to Green Bay to catch some dinner before hitting the road to come back in the morning. That's OK. Maybe next year.

1600vw
05-17-2016, 07:15 AM
I would say the person who picks these bands likes this group. I have belonged to a couple other groups or clubs, whatever you want to call them. Whenever we had anything going on and looking for something like this say a band, I noticed that things always leaned towards the people who were the ones looking for said whatever it was. It was what they wanted and not what the majority of the members wanted. Why I dropped out of most of these groups. Nothing about them or what they did was a majority vote. They would ask, but then do as they wanted.

HAS

psvinny
05-17-2016, 11:40 AM
I am sure this will attract some new people to the fly-in. As for me I will stay at the camper and have some bourbon on the rocks.

Tom Steber
05-17-2016, 12:35 PM
I would say the person who picks these bands likes this group. I have belonged to a couple other groups or clubs, whatever you want to call them. Whenever we had anything going on and looking for something like this say a band, I noticed that things always leaned towards the people who were the ones looking for said whatever it was. It was what they wanted and not what the majority of the members wanted. Why I dropped out of most of these groups. Nothing about them or what they did was a majority vote. They would ask, but then do as they wanted.

HASI'm sure it has much more to do with who's available and touring in the area. Then the "biggie"... $$$$$ I guarantee that this year's act is cheaper than last years. As I stated earlier in this thread, the bands that most of us would actually like to see cost way more than Ford is willing to pay out. I could be wrong, but then they already would have had Jimmy Buffet play it.

Zack Baughman
05-17-2016, 12:49 PM
There's always this option: http://www.radio4polkas.com/polkaradio_files/state/WI.html

:rollseyes:

Tom Steber
05-18-2016, 11:49 AM
Well being from a place like Pulaski (even Pulaski, Iowa) I expected no less from you Zack! :rollseyes:

Mayhemxpc
05-18-2016, 04:19 PM
Seriously (almost) one would thing that the Wisconsin bureau of tourism would sensor a night of polka (not to mention brats, cheese, and beer.)

BeagleOne
05-22-2016, 09:52 PM
I'm just happy they're showing The Final Countdown and Star Wars at the fly-in theater! Woo hoo!

gbrasch
05-23-2016, 09:08 AM
The band is announced. Any one else ever heard of "Third Blind Eye"?

wyoranch
05-23-2016, 09:14 AM
The band is announced. Any one else ever heard of "Third Blind Eye"?I have seen them a couple of times. A good all around rock band. Still don't know if they will be a hit with the Oshkosh crowd.

BeagleOne
05-23-2016, 11:49 AM
Third Eye Blind. They had a huge hit back in the 90s, Semi-Charmed Life. Not sure about any of their other songs, they are considered an "alternative" band.

deftone
05-29-2016, 10:30 AM
Then the "biggie"... $$$$$ I guarantee that this year's act is cheaper than last years. As I stated earlier in this thread, the bands that most of us would actually like to see cost way more than Ford is willing to pay out.

If budget was an issue I would like to have thought EAA could have gotten together with Ford to come up with someone worthy of being a headline act. Like country music or not, Dierks Bentley was a great success last year and certainly brought people out to see him, that should be the level we consistently aim for, not a forgotten band from the 90's.

Tom Steber
05-30-2016, 05:39 AM
If budget was an issue I would like to have thought EAA could have gotten together with Ford to come up with someone worthy of being a headline act. Like country music or not, Dierks Bentley was a great success last year and certainly brought people out to see him, that should be the level we consistently aim for, not a forgotten band from the 90's.

I agree. But the trouble with outdoor concerts is weather. Most bands will have it written in their contract that they will get paid either in full or half even if the band doesn't play. I saw this happen just two days ago here where I live. Not entirely devastating if it's a band such as Third Eye Blind. But if it was one of today's top sought after bands... Again it's all about the money. Oh well, we're all there for the planes and people anyway.

BeagleOne
05-30-2016, 10:09 AM
I saw the Beach Boys on TV last night at the National Memorial Day Concert. Two original members are still up there in their Hawaiian shirts, singing away in their mid-70s, and they look great! And the guy they have singing lead sounds a LOT like Carl Wilson, the original lead on that song. Bring back the Beach Boys!

Joe Delene
07-20-2016, 12:48 PM
'Third Eye Blind' is in the news right now. Maybe it will be toned down some next week??

http://www.cleveland.com/entertainment/index.ssf/2016/07/conservatives_boo_third_eye_bl.html

deftone
07-20-2016, 01:10 PM
'Third Eye Blind' is in the news right now. Maybe it will be toned down some next week??

http://www.cleveland.com/entertainment/index.ssf/2016/07/conservatives_boo_third_eye_bl.html

Again, a weird choice for airventure, a crowd that will I assume be more on the conservative side. I really think they dropped the ball after last years opening concert success

Av8rPaul
07-20-2016, 01:26 PM
Well, I guess I can check that off the list. Dierks would have been awesome to see.

BeagleOne
07-20-2016, 01:52 PM
Just came here to post about that. I have zero interest in the political views of band members. And if it's a band of has-beens expressing those views, I have even less interest if possible. Definitely won't be attending the opening-night concert this year. And why did the EAA schedule Ladies Must Swing on the same night as the Theatre in the Woods Pearl Harbor presentation? For that matter, why schedule the Pearl Harbor planes at Warbirds in Review at the exact same time as the Arizona Memorial chief historian's forum?

Floatsflyer
07-20-2016, 02:35 PM
And why did the EAA schedule Ladies Must Swing on the same night as the Theatre in the Woods Pearl Harbor presentation? For that matter, why schedule the Pearl Harbor planes at Warbirds in Review at the exact same time as the Arizona Memorial chief historian's forum?

Beagle, everything in this big ole crazy world is about managing expectations and prioritizing competing interests. It takes an adept hand and one hopes to be as competent at it as is possible but in the end it's a losing proposition.

On the other hand, you can follow the Ricky Nelson philosophy of long unobstructed life if you want. It minimizes stress and anxiety to almost zero while maximizing life energy.........

"Ya know you can't please everyone, so ya gotta please yourself."

Mayhemxpc
07-20-2016, 05:47 PM

from what I read in the article, toning down is not likely. Maybe best to find something else to do Monday night, like bratwurst pizza.

I really dont don't care what the politics of a musician, film actor, or another artist may be, as long as they don't try to peddle their politics on stage.

BeagleOne
07-20-2016, 06:04 PM
The saddest part is that they weren't even playing an RNC concert. Their concert was supposed to benefit an apolitical charity. But they trolled their audience and then refused to play any of the few good songs they had. So they made a weak political point at the expense of their fans and a charity. Definitely finding something else to do Monday night, and hope the EAA folks find better acts for future opening nights.

Beagle, everything in this big ole crazy world is about managing expectations and prioritizing competing interests.

Except the two presentations on Pearl Harbor are not competing interests. They would appeal to the same audience. Too bad they were scheduled at the exact same time.