PDA

View Full Version : N registered Aircraft and pilot's license

giulio777
02-18-2016, 06:35 AM
Hello fellow Aviators!
I have a question regarding what pilot license to use on a N registered Aircraft.
We are a group of shareholders in a magnificent North American T6D which is kept in Europe at the moment.
it is registered with one of the European compliant Authorities(not Experimental) but we are willing to change it into N.
Can you confirm that,once on N number, will it be possible to fly it with any other Pilot's license(JAR,EASA and so on) or you are mandatorily required to have one issued by the FAA.

Many thanks.

G.

1600vw
02-18-2016, 09:05 AM
My questions is..Is another Pilot certificate legal in the states. My gut feeling would be no. For we do things different here then other parts of the world. Sure an airplane does not know what country it is flying in. But the systems used in said countries are different. So I would say your certificate would not be legal in the states. I could be wrong, but it sounds right or correct.

Marc Zeitlin
02-18-2016, 10:58 AM
I have a question regarding what pilot license to use on a N registered Aircraft.
We are a group of shareholders in a magnificent North American T6D which is kept in Europe at the moment.
it is registered with one of the European compliant Authorities(not Experimental) but we are willing to change it into N.
Can you confirm that,once on N number, will it be possible to fly it with any other Pilot's license(JAR,EASA and so on) or you are mandatorily required to have one issued by the FAA.
Look at the regulations.

Per CFR Part 61.3(a)(1)(v), a foreign pilot's license is all that is needed to fly an "N" registered aircraft in the foreign country.

However, per CFR 14 Part 61.3(a)(1)(i), to fly the "N" registered aircraft WITHIN the US, a US pilot's certificate would be required. This can be issued against your foreign pilot's certificate per FAR 61.75.

giulio777
02-18-2016, 12:37 PM
Many thanks guys!
I didn't make myself clear enough on this...
We will keep the Aircraft in Europe for the time being..
So yes, I guess any pilot's license would suffice..
I will review the above CFR thoroughly though.
Once again thanks for pointing me in the right direction.

Regards.

G..

Mark
02-18-2016, 05:45 PM
There is a proposal (http://www.peter2000.co.uk/aviation/easa/index.html) to force European residents to have EASA licences and medicals even if the aircraft are on a non-european register. This is mainly a concern of pilots of N registered aircraft that use the privilege of their FAA IR to fly IFR in Europe.

The FAA allows you to use a licence of your own country (i.e state of licence issue) to fly an N registered aircraft in that country, but that does not allow you to fly to another country within Europe.

If you have a 'piggyback' FAA 61.75 certificate as well as an EASA licence, you will be legal to fly around Europe (and the US). You do not need a FAA medical as FAR 61.75 allows you to use the medical of your other licence.

Without the FAA 61.75 certificate you can still fly N registered in the state of issue of your European licence.

Don't forget that you need a flight review with an FAA CFI in the last 24 months for the FAA licence to be valid.

giulio777
02-18-2016, 08:57 PM
Thanks for your info Mark!
My colleagues and I are looking at different options at the moment with regards to Registration and Licensing.
Some of us have FAA issued Certificates, others have EASA...
It's just that ,if it all possible,we would like to stay away from any European Authority...
I'm sure you know what I mean...

crusty old aviator
02-23-2016, 09:39 AM
Do you ever get those people arriving at your airport, saying, "We are with EASA and we are here to help you." ???

giulio777
03-01-2016, 01:21 PM
Well, not yet...
I think they're just too disorganized to manage that��

Extra230
11-09-2016, 06:42 AM
We are looking at a similar situation as we plan to import a T-28 to Norway. We will, at least initially, fly it N-registered.

So, that we can fly it on an EASA license seems to be OK. Now, for type qualification, can I use a type conversion done in Australia?

FlyingRon
11-09-2016, 07:17 AM
Note that the T-6 is an EXPERIMENTAL on the US Registry. You will need specific authorization to operate it in Europe even if N registered. The requirements vary from country to country.

Extra230
11-09-2016, 08:25 AM
Yeah, all clear on that. We can get the required permission for the aircraft in Norway. The T-28 is also Experimental. What I'm wondering about is if can fly it on an Australian type conversion (rating). I have both an EASA and a US license.

rwanttaja
11-09-2016, 09:02 AM
Note that the T-6 is an EXPERIMENTAL on the US Registry.
You sure about that, Ron? I see over 500 T-6s and SNJs in the registry licensed in Standard Category, and fewer than 40 as Experimentals. I believe North American did get civilian certification for the T-6. This UK Site (http://www.paulsquires.co.uk/T6.html) says T-6s are Standard, while Canadian-Built Harvards are Experimental.

Ron Wanttaja

FlyingRon
11-09-2016, 09:40 AM
You're right, RW. One needs to check his airworthiness certificate before proceeding. I just assumed they all were since the one local SNJ was marked experimental as is not uncommon with warbirds.

rwanttaja
11-09-2016, 11:24 AM
You're right, RW. One needs to check his airworthiness certificate before proceeding. I just assumed they all were since the one local SNJ was marked experimental as is not uncommon with warbirds.
Just for S&Gs, I looked up a couple of Experimental SNJs. One has been converted to an NA-50/P-64 replica....
http://www.simviation.com/yabbuploads/CHP64I.jpg
...and the other was converted to a replica Japanese Kate torpedo bomber (had a clue on this one.... it was registered to "Japanese Bomber LLC".
https://img.planespotters.net/photo/606000/original/n7062c-untitled-north-american-snj-4-texankate_PlanespottersNet_606925.jpg

The P-64 replica is the only experimental T-6 or SNJ registered in Virginia, but I assume that's not the one you saw.

This is just two out of dozens, but I felt it was interesting in that the only two I looked up were converted replicas....

Ron Wanttaja