PDA

View Full Version : Lifetime Benifits

Weasel
02-09-2016, 09:00 AM
Is it just me? I feel slighted by the message I just received...

We are pleased to announce the 2016 EAA AirVenture Oshkosh exclusive offerings for EAA lifetime members. In an effort to serve the different preferences of our members and ensure availability to our growing Lifetime Membership base, we're offering you the opportunity to choose from either the Lifetime Dinner or single-day access to the Flightline Pavilion for you and a guest! Also new this year is the registration and ticketing process. Keep reading for all the details.

When I signed up and paid for the lifetime membership my memory was that there was unlimited access to the Flightline Pavilion and included the Lifetime Dinner. Now that I paid for it I am restricted to 1 day access or Lifetime Dinner :confused::mad:

skyfixer8
02-09-2016, 10:10 AM
I know what you mean. I spent one day looking for my name on a "wall" at Oshkosh (read that in the fine print), no one knew where it was.Turned out to be a listing on web site, and I never saw my name on it. Been wondering ever since, what I get from being a "Lifer" besides a jacket, car decal and card. Could have given me a decoder ring at least.

Bill L

L16 Pilot
03-12-2016, 09:38 PM
I'm 76. Don't I'll worry about the benefits of the life time membership.

gtmcm
06-21-2016, 09:21 AM
While I can definitely see a need to limit the numbers at the Lifetime Dinner, I have never seen the Pavillion grossly overcrowded. A note sent to Lifetime and Member Services questioning the need to limit Pavillion access to one day has not been responded to. Neverless, I still am looking forward to Oshkosh!

obmaha
06-21-2016, 09:46 AM
I wonder if this will be brought up at the annual meeting?

deftone
06-21-2016, 06:58 PM
I wonder if this will be brought up at the annual meeting?

Unless people start bringing up things like this Jack Pelton will keep on driving away the membership. Its flat out wrong to treat lifetime members like that, especially if they were promised something when they signed up. EAA should honor the agreement

MNWORD
06-22-2016, 08:22 AM
2016 Performers List (http://eaaforums.org/showthread.php?6443-2016-Performers-List)

Started by Glory Aulik (http://eaaforums.org/member.php?27194-Glory-Aulik), 01-07-2016 03:27 PM 1 (http://eaaforums.org/showthread.php?6443-2016-Performers-List)2 (http://eaaforums.org/showthread.php?6443-2016-Performers-List/page2) Hmmmm.

Anymouse
06-25-2016, 09:37 AM
When I go to SNF/Airventure, I go more for the vendors and meeting up with friends rather than seeing a bunch of planes flying back and forth.

Since becoming a lifetime member a bunch of years ago, I've hit up the Lifetime Dinner several times. They typically have some pretty good speakers and the food is normally pretty good. I've also met some interesting people sitting at my table. That's not why I became a lifetime member though. I became a lifetime member simply because I didn't want to bother paying dues anymore and I had the money to plop down at the time. I'm getting close to going over the break even point, so that's a plus.

All that being said, I suppose at some point in time I knew about the access to the pavilion, but I don't think I've ever bothered going in because, as mentioned, watching a bunch of planes going back and forth just doesn't interest me as much as it did at my first airshow several decades ago. However, I do hate to see benefits that were promised get taken away.

My vote, if there is ever a vote on such a thing, is to re-open the pavilion for the entire time.

wyoranch
06-25-2016, 10:35 AM
Sounds to me like someone is changing the rules in the middle of the game. I don't think that I ( if I were a lifetime member) would be very happy. I try so hard to love EAA for what it represents and does, but at times I just feel dirty seeing some of the sketchy things going on.
Rick

hatz672
06-25-2016, 04:43 PM
No, it's not just you, bud. My personal opinion? It's a scam. Somebody at the headshed did actuary calculations and figured out most of the Lifetime members would die quicker if they paid to be Lifetime members than if they paid yearly. Once you get your cap, jacket and genuine simulated wood engraved plaque, all you can look forward to is an invite to the Lifetime Member Banquet. BUT, you better stay on top of that because you're going to have to watch your emails to order tickets sometime in spring to in sure you have a seat.

FlyingRon
06-25-2016, 05:40 PM
The EAA lifetime membershp is perhaps the WORST deal in the industry. It's over 32x the single membership price. AOPA is 20 (which is typical with many of these organizations). Another organization threw in a free spouse membership with mine (so it's even less than 20). The EAA is second only to the NRA for how much they gouge people, though periodically the NRA discounts their life memberships which makes it a fairly decent deal.

Frank Giger
06-25-2016, 07:40 PM
I am sufficiently old enough to where I did the math and it's cheaper to pay by the year - at 50.

RickFE
06-25-2016, 09:04 PM
I thought about a lifetime membership for my grandson instead of me.

wyoranch
06-25-2016, 11:59 PM
I thought about a lifetime membership for my grandson instead of me.
Not to sound petty, but with the policy changes that have been flying around. Your grandson's lifetime membership will probably be changed from lifetime to ' lifetime or 15 years whichever occurs first'

Kyle Boatright
06-26-2016, 05:10 AM
I am sufficiently old enough to where I did the math and it's cheaper to pay by the year - at 50.

Full disclosure: I'm not a lifetime member.

That said, access to the lifetime member's dinner and a couple of the other perks really set the membership apart from an annual renewal.

Regardless, I would be very disappointed if they are changing the benefits for paid-in members.

Jim Hann
06-26-2016, 05:53 PM
The EAA lifetime membershp is perhaps the WORST deal in the industry. It's over 32x the single membership price. AOPA is 20 (which is typical with many of these organizations). Another organization threw in a free spouse membership with mine (so it's even less than 20). The EAA is second only to the NRA for how much they gouge people, though periodically the NRA discounts their life memberships which makes it a fairly decent deal.

Interesting, when I went through my organizations looking at life memberships I swear that AOPA was $1,500 and there was only one lifetime membership. I remember it being by far the most expensive, with AMA second and EAA the cheapest (at the time.) Since I already had enough years in, I received the $100 discount from EAA also.

As for the dinner, I am disappointed in the changes, I also don't attend to watch the airshow and will only go to the dinner or nothing. I will make my feeling known if I see the appropriate people.

Jim

Eric Cernjar
07-01-2016, 07:42 AM
Hi All,

First I want to say I'm sorry to hear that some of you feel that the Lifetime Membership isn't providing the value that you expected. That's certainly not the intent, but I understand your concerns. Regarding the Flightline Pavilion specifically, we've been pretty careful not to over-promise on this venue. Nikki Watts has been the steward for our LT program for many years, and as long as she's been there I know she's been very careful to tell members at AirVenture that the pavilion access would be there for that particular year, but that she can't promise it will be there every year.

Over time the Lifetime Member base has grown significantly, and it's caused a few challenges. One challenge is we realized there is a group of LT members who know about the pavilion access due to a conversation happening with staff, but it wasn't something we widely promoted and really was something only a handful of LT members would even know to take advantage of. We didn't feel that was fair to the rest of the LT group, and we had to look at this as a whole to be fair to all. With the growth in LT membership that we've seen, we simply wouldn't have the capacity to roll this out for week-long access to all LT members, so we made the call to formally roll this out to all LT members for one day of access. Not only does this give everyone a chance to experience the pavilion, but it also shifted some demand from the LT Dinner to the pavilion. If you've attended the dinner lately, you know that we're reaching capacity and need to find a way to accommodate everyone.

One other note regarding the pavilion and its intent. The main purpose of this tent is as a benefit to annual donors to EAA. The threshold for week-long access to the pavilion is for donors who contribute at least $2,500 annually. Years ago we saw we had a little bit of extra room and wanted to provide a thank you to members who recently became Lifetime Members, but as I said we quickly realized this was something only a select few knew about and didn't feel that was fair.

Again I definitely don't want anyone to feel they're being taken advantage of, and we very much appreciate the commitment our Lifetime Members have shown towards GA and EAA. I hope this clears the air a bit, and if any of you want to speak with me I can either respond when possible on here or you can also contact me directly at ecernjar@eaa.org.

Thanks,
Eric

glider90
07-01-2016, 08:49 AM
The best deal in the EAA was the Century Club. My dad was a member, and I really wish he would have thought to try to sign me up instead of him! That membership paid for itself many times over before he passed away in 2006. For those not familiar, the Century Club was (at that time I believe, it did go up later in the program) 100 dollars a year for 10 years. As Century Club member you enjoyed all the benefits of a lifetime member, plus complimentary camping and weekly admission to the convention! As a family of five that came to Oshkosh every year for 10 or more days it was a great deal. I know my mom said there were years with a young family that the payment would be hard to scrape together, but it was all worth it. As I recall dad was number 307, and I think they only did 1000 members. It was a fund raising effort to get the museum funding in place as I recall.