PDA

View Full Version : Looking for Scholarship Procedure Document

PaulDow
01-04-2016, 03:59 PM
Our chapter recently received some donations designated for youth education. We're looking at combining this with the Young Eagles credits we have, and those from another chapter we partner with for YE events, to send someone to the Air Academy.

I see to offer a scholarship, there are some rules about having proper selection procedures. I was wondering if any chapter that has an IRS approved procedure would be willing to share with us to use as a starting point for ours.

Thanks,
Paul

avee8r
01-08-2016, 08:42 AM
Hi Paul

Our EAA Chapter (113) has been giving scholarships for years. We give up to two $1000 to college bound or flight students and one at $500 to someone going to the EAA Air Academy.

We get the money for the larger ones from our annual pancake breakfast and use Young Eagle Credits for the Air Academy.

Is your Chapter an IRS 501(c)(3) non profit organization? That's probably the hardest thing to do and its only a matter of paperwork. There was an EAA Webinar on that subject in the past that you can look up easy enough.

Here's the link to our Chapter's web page concerning Scholarships. http://www.113.eaachapter.org/scholarships.htm Have a look and feel free to use anything there in your Chapter's effort to offer scholarships. Let us know if you need anything else.

Happy Landings
John Maxfield

PaulDow
01-22-2016, 10:08 AM
Thanks John,

I already got us the 501(c)(3) status. I did it back when it was a more difficult process too.

The application you have looks good. We certainly don't want to make it too complicated, but we want to filter out some kids who just go to the Young Eagles flights instead of going to an amusement park.

Paul