PDA

View Full Version : Wing fences and carburetors

cliffo
11-28-2015, 10:30 AM
I know they're not related but hear me out . 2 weeks ago on the last real nice day I was out doing some crow hopping in my "new" quicksilver as I had 1 1/2 hrs on the freshened motor (447) and this was my first try at maneuvering my recent acquisition. I was on a straight smooth country road about3/4 mile long and at the end of the first run it was idling for maybe 45secs to a full minute I went to throttle up and was greeted by spitting,missing mess of an almost dying engine. I turned the gas off and put it to full throttle and it finally cleared after 15-20 seconds. I made the run back and was greeted by the same malady at the other end. I put it back in the quonset and the next day took the top off the Bing 54 and took a look. The needle had maybe 1/16"play in it which was enough to let an over rich mixture get sucked through the main jet at idle, causing it to load up. Aircraft spruce has a fix-it kit that consists of a new clip, a grommet,and a restyled insert for the slide. I have installed the kit and after a few warm-ups in the shop, it seems to have cured my problem leading me to the real question I wanted to ask was ,has anybody tried the wing fences that air-tech offers and do you notice any difference in handling and performance.?