PDA

View Full Version : Aircraft Counts at Oshkosh

EDGEFLY
11-03-2015, 07:19 PM
A question was posted on another forum tonight basically asking if the EAA doesn't make counts of aircraft by make & model & class which are flown in for the convention. Are such tabulations available and how can I request that info ?

Dale

FlyingRon
11-06-2015, 03:32 PM
I doubt anybody really has the information. Registration for aircraft parking is by and large optional. Someone must have the details on those who bothered to register, but it won't be complete.

Dave Stadt
11-07-2015, 01:49 PM
Let's not give anybody any ideas. :-)

Jim Hann
11-09-2015, 02:02 PM
I can tell you that the CAP tries very hard to log EVERY landing and EVERY takeoff. Teams of cadets watch the pattern all day everyday except during the air show. That said, do you feel like you are being watched? :)

Oh, you mean show planes!

EDGEFLY
11-10-2015, 07:23 PM
I can tell you that the CAP tries very hard to log EVERY landing and EVERY takeoff. Teams of cadets watch the pattern all day everyday except during the air show. That said, do you feel like you are being watched? :)

Jim,

Thanks for the input. Do you know if any sorting of these data is undertaken ? How about a contact who might have info on the compilation and storage of this data ? Is it reported to the EAA ?

Dale

FlyingRon
11-11-2015, 11:53 AM

I think they log only the arriving aircraft. It's used in case someone neglects to close a flight plan to give an idea whether they made it to the field.

Jim Hann
11-15-2015, 08:41 AM
Ron is probably more correct than I am, I haven't really had a chance to go up on the roof and hang out with the CAP during big departure pushes.

Mayhemxpc
11-15-2015, 10:15 AM
Ron is correct. They are also at FLD and ATW. In addition to noting arrivals and assisting with parking aircraft, they also locate an unbelievable number of ELTs that go off at all three airports. (Both on the flight lines and in the exhibition hangars.)

Noting arrivals is easier than having to scour the entire airfield for an airplane that did not close a flight plan and when the pilot's cell phone is out of coverage (or he or she is just not answering it.)