PDA

View Full Version : ADSB in for less?

Mike M
09-07-2015, 02:41 PM
http://www.eaa.org/en/eaa/aviation-communities-and-interests/homebuilt-aircraft-and-homebuilt-aircraft-kits/resources-for-while-youre-building/building-articles/instruments-and-avionics/live-weather-and-traffic-for-less-than-$120

Looks like it does work! Inexpensive weather display in the cockpit on your tablet computer or smartphone. Now that's a safety improvement. Hope that TIS-B change won't affect ADSB weather in:

http://www.faa.gov/nextgen/programs/adsb/media/TIS-B_service_change_summary_final_508_5-13-15-webV2.pdf

Hal Bryan
09-08-2015, 08:19 AM
I built one when Tom first told me about it, Mike, and it works great! Looking forward to seeing what other functionality comes along.

Frank Giger
09-08-2015, 02:18 PM
Holy crap, that's the cat's meow in tabletop innovation!

And at that price, even I might contemplate it.

Tom Charpentier
09-08-2015, 06:40 PM
It indeed does work, and quite well! Suffice it to say it's a permanent addition to my flightbag, and I'll be testing out the integral GPS functionality as soon as it gets added to a stable release and I get the parts (right now my iPad gets its position source from a bluetooth GPS, so I'm eager to consolidate cockpit gizmos). Mark, any changes to TIS-B would not impact FIS-B (weather). And we're working on the TIS-B policy, as noted in the article - hopefully some good news soon on that front.

Cozytom
09-10-2015, 06:56 PM
For about $30 you can do it.

http://enginemonitor.blogspot.com/2014/03/android-adsb-in-for-20-available-now.html

Looks like it does work! Inexpensive weather display in the cockpit on your tablet computer or smartphone. Now that's a safety improvement. Hope that TIS-B change won't affect ADSB weather in:

Tom Charpentier
09-11-2015, 01:46 PM
That's neat! Yeah, you can use that digital tuner with pretty much any USB-compatible device. The setup we profiled basically uses the Raspberry Pi as an intermediary to package the data into a format that apps can work with. What's nice about that is that it's compatible with any app/platform that accepts the GDL90 protocol, so you can use most apps on the market with it - iOS, Android, and more.

Mike M
09-13-2015, 10:14 AM
For about $30 you can do it.

http://enginemonitor.blogspot.com/2014/03/android-adsb-in-for-20-available-now.html

does that one work with Avare, cozytom?

Cozytom
09-13-2015, 05:13 PM
does that one work with Avare, cozytom?

Works Great with Avare.

Mike M
09-20-2015, 09:18 PM
OK, got it put together and WiFi'ing to the tablet. Haven't test flown yet (it's dark and even God doesn't like to fly at night, Genesis 1:2-5 NLT) :) and I'm wondering...how does it know what freq to monitor to pick up the wx? Tom's article says the remote isn't needed. Does the software download tell the RPi what freq to tune?

Tom Charpentier
09-21-2015, 08:32 AM
FIS-B (weather, TFRs, etc...) is broadcast on 978 UAT, which is the default frequency monitored by the software with a single tuner (with a second it also tunes 1090ES traffic). So just plug and play!

wyoranch
09-21-2015, 09:24 AM
Guys,
i just wanted to say I think this is the coolest. We need more stuff like this.
rick

Mike M
09-24-2015, 05:42 AM
I posted this on Avare forums, too, but some folks here don't use that one.

I bought the Raspberry Pi kit on Amazon because the OTG won't work on my Galaxy Tab2 since the latest Android update it ate. Thanks, Samsung. Downloaded the latest stable software image (the green boxed one) from the github/cyoung page. Followed directions, learned how to burn an image, and it works in the RPi! Thanks, cyoung!

Lessons learned so far: 1. The powered USB hub in my plane limits current to 1amp on one port, .5amp each to 2 ports. Info from other users & pubs indicated 1amp enough for RPi. It's not here, the WiFi wouldn't broadcast. Rewired so have 2amps at one port, that's enough. 2. Avare io app defaults to bluetooth mode so must switch it to wifi on startup and I don't know how to do that automatically. But I did know enough to link it to the Stratux wifi, not the house wifi! 3. Although the io app shows proper operation and all the RPi and SDR lights are solid, and the proper preferences are selected in Avare, I show no wx info and no traffic info in flight 2500msl 30nm north of KTPA. Yes, nexrad as reported by local tv station was painting precip around the area. 4. The kit antenna had a magnet in the base. I stuck it to the case, unit on glare shield. After flight the stickygoo holding the magnet into the base had let go, antenna was just a-sett'n there. Tossed magnet, hotglued velcro to bottom to latch onto fuzzy carpet atop glare shield. 5. I am not competent to figg'r why Avare isn't displaying ads-b wx on my tablet or my phone. Bet somebody is.

Tom Charpentier
09-24-2015, 06:23 AM
See this thread on reddit: https://www.reddit.com/r/stratux/comments/3hi2ub/stratux_google_nexus_7_2013_fltplan_go_and_avare/?. Looks like Avare requires an additional app to work. By the way, for technical questions you may have more luck at https://www.reddit.com/r/stratux. The developer and several very tech savvy users are on there.

Mike M
09-25-2015, 04:14 PM
Lessons learned addendum....6. Use a quality power cord, some old phone cords in a junk drawer might not carry enough current. 7. Try changing map scale and see what shows up.

IT WORKS. Thanks, folks.

danielfindling
10-09-2015, 06:13 AM
Ok, I am an old techie suffering from the effects of Moore's law. (It has been long enough that I now know nothing) - So I am asking for help from those more "in the loop". This is my first Raspberry Pi build. Am I supposed to install the Raspberry Pi Operating system to the SD card first then the image file for Stratux or format the SD card and only install the Stratux (img file)? What about the other files on the download site (e.g. the source code etc.). Thanks,

Daniel

Mike M
10-09-2015, 12:32 PM
Ok, I am an old techie suffering from the effects of Moore's law. (It has been long enough that I now know nothing) - So I am asking for help from those more "in the loop". This is my first Raspberry Pi build. Am I supposed to install the Raspberry Pi Operating system to the SD card first then the image file for Stratux or format the SD card and only install the Stratux (img file)? What about the other files on the download site (e.g. the source code etc.). Thanks,

Daniel

Daniel, I found Chris Young's list of "builds" page. Downloaded the green-tagged one to my windows vista laptop. Formatted an 8gb micro sd card. Used the free imager program that was recommended to "burn" the .img file to the sd card. Review the instructions on the EAA and reddit pages. They were all I knew when I did it. I don't understand it all but followed directions and it works.