PDA

View Full Version : Damaged Sonex questions

mmarmino
08-26-2015, 08:54 AM
Hello all. I have some questions about an aircraft I came across that is Canada.
http://417913223742466573.weebly.com

I'm trying to find out exactly what it would take to get this plane here and the requirements for getting it back in the air. I am a first time builder but have experience in sheet metal work. I appreciate any and all input. Thanks.

martymayes
08-26-2015, 09:38 AM
I think you'll need a truck and/or trailer to get it here!

Are the plans set included? Simply inspect and repair as needed.

Start the repairs and get a copy of FAA AC 20-27G. Start reading at paragraph 16 on page 29. That will walk you through the procedure for getting it registered in the US.

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&ved=0CB4QFjAAahUKEwi-k9zWiMfHAhUREJIKHaRpApE&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.faa.gov%2Fdocumentlibrary%2Fm edia%2Fadvisory_circular%2Fac%252020-27g.pdf&ei=x9vdVf6TN5GgyASk04mICQ&usg=AFQjCNH9SOj6gzVdJV0Rha4f_TbsGXbp_g&sig2=fUvnatBpHPsAWM3djQnaIA

Looks like a great project to work on!

mmarmino
08-26-2015, 10:53 AM
Haha, yeah it'll be a little bit of a drive from Kentucky. But from what I can see it would be worth it. I mean with the plans I could just make all the required parts. I just want to make sure that there aren't any "hidden" expenses with importing it.

mmarmino
08-26-2015, 11:38 AM
Now would i, not being the original builder be able to perform the necessary repairs?

cub builder
08-26-2015, 12:32 PM
Despite not having the repairman certificate, you can perform any work to the aircraft. You might want to work with an A&P oversight simply because you will need an A&P to sign the condition inspection we all perform annually, but aren't allowed to call annual inspections on this forum. ;)

-Cub Builder

martymayes
08-27-2015, 11:31 AM
Now would i, not being the original builder be able to perform the necessary repairs?

Yes, you can perform the necessary repairs yourself.

Gary.Sobek
08-27-2015, 03:11 PM
Not sure where you are located but if you are in the US, the problem will be getting it registered as a Amateur Built Aircraft. It can be a problem proving to the FAA that a Canadian homebuilt was 51% amateur built for education and recreation.

JohnP
09-01-2015, 03:04 PM
A member of our EAA chapter has a damaged Sonex. It is located in New York state. Might be easier to deal with since it is in the USA. If you want to give him a call, it is Mike's Service at 518-762-7167. It was going to be rebuilt but he doesn't have the time.

crusty old aviator
09-01-2015, 08:43 PM
Doesn't anybody use solid rivets anymore? Since the kit is of USA origin, there will be no duty. If you can get the original builder to sign an affadavit stating that the plane was built for educational or recreational purposes, and get the builder's log with lots of construction photos, you should be able to get her registered here as an E-AB, but you won't be able to get a repairman's certificate for maintaining/repairing her.

slevair
09-03-2015, 11:29 AM
Anyone can work on an E-AB, no certificate needed. They just can't sign off the inspection that comes annually without it.

martymayes
09-03-2015, 01:27 PM
They just can't sign off the inspection that comes annually without it.

Would that be an annual inspection???

wyoranch
09-03-2015, 04:19 PM
Would that be an annual inspection???
Laughing so hard right now...... I almost wrote the same thing to see how long before the drama started.......

rwanttaja
09-03-2015, 06:28 PM
Would that be an annual inspection??? Laughing so hard right now...... I almost wrote the same thing to see how long before the drama started.......
Maybe it's the new, cylindrical-fuselage Sonex, thus it'd be an annular inspection....

Ron Wanttaja