PDA

View Full Version : Mitsubishi AM6 scale kit plane - where are they?

CAVU Mark
08-06-2015, 10:58 PM
I have always liked the lines of the Zero and would consider building one if one were available that could handle a small radial.... like the Rotec. But Google and I are having trouble finding any plans or kits. Where is the Zero?

cluttonfred
08-08-2015, 05:10 AM

http://www.waraircraftreplicas.com/

Frank Giger
08-08-2015, 11:10 AM
While the Corsair could definitely use some down scaling (just one prop blade was 12 feet long), that poor FW-190 suffers with Charlie Brown headitis.

cluttonfred
08-09-2015, 02:52 PM
I agree that some of the designs scale better than others, though all of them look a little funny up close with a pilot for scale when you realize that the canopy that held the head and shoulders of the pilot in the real one only just holds the head in the scaled-down one.

4998 4999

The WAR site is a little thin on information, which doesn't inspire confidence in a plans purchase in the neighborhood of $400 per set. I think they'd sell more plans if they gave a lot more detail about the planes, construction photos, builder's comments, videos, etc. as well as bringing the price down some.

It's too bad that there are so few other "stand-off scale" replica warbirds being build other than all the Mustang variations. I wonder if it's a sign of the times--that younger builders don't have the passion for WWII aviation that older ones do? Here is one exception--a project to build an all-metal 63% scale replica Grumman Hellcat: http://scalebirds.com/

CAVU Mark
08-09-2015, 11:49 PM
You are right, WAR replicate's website is thin and ScaleBirds is just getting started but their work looks great and a ZERO would make a lot of sense after they finish the HELLCAT. The Grumman is going to need something to chase! So much for my ZERO.

crusty old aviator
08-24-2015, 08:33 PM
Maybe if you looked up A6M instead of AM6 you'd find more. Why don't you design your own scale A6M. Think of all the wonderful things you'd learn. I recommend you build it out of sheet metal though. The spruce longerons with foam and fiberglass was fine for Ken Rand's designs, but even Rutan's designs are experiencing a lot of problems that Van's planes never will.