PDA

View Full Version : Largest Homebuilt Airplane?

wallda
07-30-2015, 03:52 PM
Wondering what the largest homebuilt/amature-built aircraft to ever visit EAA Airventure/Fly In?

rwanttaja
07-30-2015, 04:32 PM
Wondering what the largest homebuilt/amature-built aircraft to ever visit EAA Airventure/Fly In?
My guess (at least in wingspan) would be the Rutan Voyager, but I don't know if it was licensed as an Amateur-Built or not....

Ron Wanttaja

martymayes
07-30-2015, 05:43 PM
Dean Wilson's Private Explorer or Global Explorer? I don't know which one is bigger and I don't know if they have both been to OSH.

FlyingRon
07-30-2015, 07:18 PM
The Voyager indeed was registered EAB and had gross weight of 9694 lbs and a wingspan of 110 feet.
This beats out Wilson's global explorer by more than a thousand pounds and 30 feet of wingspan. The private explorer was substantially smaller.

crusty old aviator
08-24-2015, 08:57 PM
This beats out Wilson's global explorer by more than a thousand pounds and 30 feet of wingspan. The private explorer was substantially smaller.

True, but the Explorer was also way cooler! It was like a flying motorhome! Yeah, the Voyager set a record and all that, but it didn't make people think, wow! I could build this! like the Explorer did. Also, Wilson didn't ask people for donations to built his dream, he just built it. I had to work through lunch one day, so I sent Rutan my unspent lunch money, to help out with the Voyager, and they didn't even spend it on the project...they made a big joke out of it, even though I had enclosed a note explaining it wasn't. My mother always told me to never trust a man who wears lambchops on his face...I should have listened!

Frank Giger
08-24-2015, 10:08 PM
Um, the Spruce Goose?

It would be considered an Experimental if built today, after all...

rwanttaja
08-24-2015, 10:39 PM
Um, the Spruce Goose?

It would be considered an Experimental if built today, after all...
It was an experimental then, too. Had an NX registration. Pre-dated the Amateur-Built regulations by a few years, though.

Ron Wanttaja

crusty old aviator
08-26-2015, 08:39 AM
But walida asked "...to ever visit EAA Airventure/Fly In?" I don't recall Hughes' big girl ever getting very far from the Pacific Coast, let alone Wisconsin.

FlyingRon
08-26-2015, 09:01 AM
But walida asked "...to ever visit EAA Airventure/Fly In?" I don't recall Hughes' big girl ever getting very far from the Pacific Coast, let alone Wisconsin.
It's sitting in McMinnville now (which is quite a ways inland) but it didn't get there under its own power.